Sunday, July 18, 2021

Positively Bright

 It's a top!

My quilt top for the Positivity Quilt Along is done! 

My take on this pattern is a little unusual.  Here's how I laid out the blocks.  There are six blocks in each of eight bright colors.  Three of the six have light backgrounds and three have dark backgrounds.  Those six were sewn into a rectangle 2 blocks by 3 blocks, and then all the rectangles were added together.

When finished, this quilt will go to Mercyful Quilts at Mercy Hospital in Sacramento, CA.  The quilts in this project are used to comfort a dying person, and then are given to the family after their loved one has passed away.

I know these bright colors might not be everybody's cup of tea.  Most of the quilts I make are baby quilts, meant to cheer families in difficult circumstances, such as hospitals.  When I think of how sterile hospitals are, bright colors seem like a good antidote.  So I chose the same kinds of colors for this quilt.

Maybe a family will choose this quilt to memorialize a "colorful" personality.  I can think of a few characters in my own family who would fit the description, such as my great aunt Mabel.

If you've read my blog before, you know I love novelty prints.  I restrained myself from using them on this quilt, with a few exceptions.  The yellow print above is meant to be cheese, which I found out from reading the selvedge.  I don't think anybody would know that just from looking.  (I didn't!)

Hearts seemed appropriate.  I used this print in two places.

This is my favorite print in the whole quilt.  The words are faith, hope, and love, arranged in a circle.

I hope this quilt conveys the positivity I feel, and gives comfort to the patient and his or her family.

Many, many thanks to Preeti of the Sew Preeti blog for giving us this challenge, and to all her helpers and minions.  Special thanks to Bernie of Needle and Foot for all her work for Mercyful Quilts.

Linking up with Needle and Foot for the flimsy linky party!  Come and see all the wonderful quilts everyone has made!





 



14 comments:

  1. Oh I think these brights are awesome!! and it will brighten up a day. They can spend hours checking out all those amazing fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Positively BEAUTIFUL! Congrats!
    I had no idea it was cheese. It looks like moon phases. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful Positivity version, Sylvia - completely your style! It will definitely bring comfort to the right family. I think the special prints you included will be fun for someone to spy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I hope it brings a little cheer to someone.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sylvia! I adore your quilt! It is nice and colorful and just my cuppa. This will make anyone so happy to receive it, in spite of the circumstances. I am from Wisconsin, and never in a million years would I know that fabric was suppose to represent cheese. No way!! Great job. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseanne! I have lived in Wisconsin for 30 years, and this fabric did not say cheese to me. Even when I took it's picture.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sylvia, I love your take on Positivity and I mean I LOVE everything. I love the colors, the light and dark backgrounds and the layout. Just gorgeous. It is exactly my kinda quilt - bright and happy. Yes, some may expect that quilts for patients nearing their life's journey should be somber. And some families may pick out a soothing blue or somber gray for their loved one. But I am confident that some families would want to think happy thoughts and reminisce about the shared joy and laughter. Chicken soup may be what the doctor recommended, but the popsicle sounds much better. So kudos to you Sylvia, for making the juicy and sweet popsicle of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Preeti, you are making me feel better about my color choices. I love the popsicle analogy. Every weekday at 3:00, we have a popsicle break with the kids on the back porch. Just a little sweetness in the day.

      Delete
  6. I remember that you weren’t sure of the bright colors in an earlier post, but this is absolutely wonderful. I like how you grouped the colors and the light/dark backgrounds, and those rainbow colored so-appropriate words really pull it altogether for the perfect quilt to comfort and to remember happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful! I like Preeti’s analogy, it’s a popsicle! I was worried mine might be too somber. I prefer to say serene. There will be a quilt for all. As Kat from Kat and Cat Quilts says, “there seems to be the perfect quilt for the family that needs it”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly--a quilt for all! We don't all want or need the same things at the same time. Thanks, grammajudyb!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!