Friday, August 13, 2021

Back in Time

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I recently returned from a trip back to the 1800s in American history, courtesy of museums in the Midwest.  Above is a photo of Firestone Farm, transplanted from Columbiana County, Ohio to the Henry Ford living history museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

As I made my reproduction quilt blocks this week, I gave some thought to what life was like a hundred or so years ago.  These blocks were technically last month's, when dark blue and/or dark neutral was the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

My blocks were made on a treadle, but I've never used one as old as this one, from the collection of the Cincinnati History Museum.  This is an early Wheeler and Wilson.  Check out the foot-shaped pedals!  (My everyday treadle is much newer, dating from 1909.)

I did get around to making my aqua repro blocks.  The block is called Poinsettia, and I use the color of the month for the "petals".  The dark squares are just any color that goes with the petal fabric.  The pattern is by Bonnie Hunter, and is part of her Carolina Christmas quilt, in her book Scraps and Shirttails II.

Aqua is a tough color to find in 1800s reproduction fabrics, but I had enough of three prints at least.

I'm glad we don't have to weave our own fabrics in this day and age, but it was very interesting to see the antique looms at the Henry Ford.  Upstairs (where we couldn't go this time due to COVID) is a jacquard loom operated by hundreds of punch cards.  The technology was invented in 1804, and the reproduction loom was built by a curator in the 1930s.  (Click HERE for an article on the loom, plus photos.) 

I'm also glad we have more choices in fabric for quilts and for clothing in modern times.  According to the Cincinnati History Museum, the "average yearly budget for clothing in the mid-1800s was about $25 per person". Wages and costs were lower, of course, but that is still a very small amount.  People had dramatically fewer clothes than we have, and made them last longer.

This is a lovely collection of textile fibers, ready for carding, spinning, plying, dyeing, weaving or knitting.  There is a lot of work between shearing the sheep and knitting the socks or sweaters.

I really loved visiting these museums and seeing how people lived long ago.  But I'm under no illusions about the back-breaking work and hardships that were commonplace in the 1800s.

Here's the weirdest sewing-related thing I saw on this trip.  It was in the main museum building at the Henry Ford.

This diagram shows a contraption called "The Backus Water Motor".  I hope you can see the drive belt between the water motor and the flywheel on the treadle.

Here's a closeup.  Basically, the user would hook up the water motor to the kitchen pipe, connect the belt to the treadle, and turn on the water.  The water would drive the treadle and supply the power.  This is a completely insane way to run a sewing machine.  What an enormous waste of water!  Mr. Backus got a sewing machine related patent in 1874, at a time when some homes had running water but none had electricity.  What a difference a few years makes.

This week, in my air conditioned home, complete with running water AND electricity, I made a few more aqua blocks, like these 4 patch stars.

I'm re-reading this lovely book by Fons and Porter that features quilts from the Henry Ford's collection,

and my little grandsons are "reading" a Sesame Street book together.

We did take time out to make (and eat!) these big dinosaur cookies.

I hope you can take time out this week to do special things with people you love.  

Life is short!  Eat dessert first!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 





 



 




 


 


 






25 comments:

  1. Very nice aqua blocks and what a fascinating visit back into the past. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Henry Ford museum is an amazing place. Did you visit Greenfield Village there too? I just discovered that I have the same book from the Henry Ford--I should pull it out again.
    Your aqua blocks are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Sorry, I should have been clearer, the farm and the loom house are both part of Greenfield Village. Here's a link to the museum web site for more details:
      https://www.thehenryford.org/

      Delete
  3. Love seeing photos from your travels interspersed with the quilt blocks you've made this week! Definitely makes me appreciate how I can just go into my sewing room and flip a switch when I want to sew. Those museums and historical places are so fascinating to visit. And I agree - dessert first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! We are lucky to have all our modern conveniences. Lately I am really appreciating air conditioning.

      Delete
  4. I love museums as well! So fun to see the old technology of sewing machines. Love the dinosaur cookies - always best to eat dessert first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb! Museums and libraries are some of the best places I know.

      Delete
  5. We haven’t been to a museum in a very long time! But I am always appreciative of the modern inventions we enjoy now! I really like the poinsettia blocks! I may have to purchase that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! The blocks are easy to make, and the book is great if you love scrap quilts.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post and it is so great to read about how incredible our ancestors was to create and use what they had. We are truly blessed with the modern conveniences we have. Your dinosaur cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! Going to these museums is a little bit like visiting the world our ancestors lived in.

      Delete
  7. My grandma had a treadle machine that she taught me to sew on when I was a child. As I recall, I loved to get it going really fast!
    These days I really appreciate my modern electric machine, though I'm still sometimes tempted to really rev it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Pedal to the metal! (But watch your fingers!)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely visit you had to the museum, with our hobby it's always so nice to discover textiles, sewing machines and the like. My mother had an o,d treadle machine, but sadly when I grew up, I couldn't wait to get a modern electric one, have no idea where that old treadle went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! My mother learned to sew on a treadle, and hated it! The machine belonged to her grandmother, who eventually got rid of it and got a Featherweight.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the interesting post! I'm trying to fix up an old treadle that belonged to my husband's grandmother. Finally got the rusted needle plate to come apart and off. Now to try to figure out how to hook up the belt.

    Oh, how I wish I had little ones around again. The grandkids are all grown up now (in their teens) and I don't see them that often anymore. I miss games, baking and crafts with them. We never made any yummy dinosaur cookies, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your treadle! There are lots of good resources online for those of us fixing up and/or maintaining these wonderful old sewing machines. On the kid front, these guys are my last little ones, and I'm trying to remember to do all the fun stuff with them while I can.

      Delete
  10. Love your aqua stars. And the really interesting post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool museum!! and the blocks are so great.... but the cookies - they totally win haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies always win! Next time, we're baking chocolate dinos!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the museum tour (and for sharing your lovely blocks, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is fascinating to see in person how people lived in previous times. I agree with you: when I started making quilts in repro fabrics and then reading about the periods they pertain too, I learned just how false the statement "the good 'ole days" really was! I also have that F&P book and love thumbing through it from time to time. Are the quilts featured in it still on display?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!