Saturday, August 28, 2021

Taking Comfort

 Welcome to Treadlestitches

 Last Sunday, I had planned to blog about my Positivity quilt, and join the last link up, but things turned out otherwise.  My lovely 39 year old niece died suddenly from a burst aneurysm, and I needed to get ready to go to out of town for the funeral.  It has been such a terrible shock for all of the family.

Since the link up is still open, I'll be connecting with it today.  

I had thought of giving this quilt to my sister and brother-in-law, but I think I will make another one especially for them in remembrance of their daughter.

It has of course been a very sad week.   I will be mailing this quilt out soon, to help another family dealing with loss.  I know a quilt from a stranger is a small thing, but even small expressions of sympathy and care have been appreciated by my niece's parents and brother. 

Earlier last week, I had been sewing up a storm, going through the aqua scraps, making my blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  It was fun to include Spongebob, Scooby-Doo, owls, frogs, minions, etc.

More Scooby in the log cabins, plus Daniel Tiger, fish, and even giraffes.

The heart blocks are always fun to make.  One of them has a big piece of Cat in the Hat fabric.

So all my aqua blocks are done for August.


 Here's what I'm working on now, a red, white, and blue rail fence quilt for a veteran.

On my way back from the funeral, I learned of the devastating terrorist attack in Afghanistan.  I had this kit at home, cut out by our charity committee to help a local group that gives quilts to veterans as a recognition of their service to our country.  This is the only thing I want to sew right now.

Sewing, especially making things for others, is a pleasure when times are good, and comforts me at least a little when things are bad.

These little guys, my youngest grandsons, are a great comfort to me also!  I love to see them playing together.  Little Buddy has one of the Paw Patrol dogs.  Baby Buddy is playing with Godzilla and making monster noises.  They had better watch out, I might hug the stuffing out of them.

I hope for a better week ahead for all of us.  I hope for healing for all who are hurting, even if it's just a little bit at a time.

Thank you for reading this.  Hug the people you love!

Sincerely,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches  

Linking up with:
Cynthia at Oh Scrap




 

 



28 comments:

  1. Sylvia, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your niece. That is tragic. Aneurysms are a scary thing as they are so undetectable prior to bursting. My first husband passed away from this same thing when he was 36 years old. I totally understand the shocking grief your family is experiencing.

    Thank you for making a positivity quilt. If you don't get it mailed right away, do not worry. I know things are all over the place right now. It is ok.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry this happened to your first husband. I can't imagine how awful that must have been. Thank you for your understanding.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Sylvia, what sad news. I'm sorry your family has to go through this. Definitely hug those little buddies and find time for some sewing therapy. Your quilts and projects always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diann! Family time and sewing therapy are good ways to cope.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie. She had a wonderful life, but it's hard to think of it being cut short.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Sylvia! I am so sorry for your family's loss. Your Positivity quilt turned out beautifully! The recipients are sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad and tragic news about your niece, Sylvia. I am sorry for your loss and for the other family's loss as well. It continues to be a hard time for many of us and making a quilt to support a veteran is a great way to be productive and positive. Your Positively quilt is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sad event for your family. I hope soon your heart will only be filled with happy memories. Lovely quilt for the hospice program. I am similar to you, sewing calms me and these are definitely troubling times for us all. Sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so very tragic Sylvia! I am so sorry for your family's great loss.

    Your positivity quilt turned out so lovely and will bring comfort to another family. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So unexpected and such grief for the family. Your positivity quilt looks so bright and cheerful. Love the turquoise RSC blocks. Great job sneaking in all those cute characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an unexpected loss, so sorry. What great use of the scraps to make those heart blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! I still don't know how I'm going to put the heart blocks together.

      Delete
  10. Oh I am so so sorry about your niece. Sending lots of virtual hugs. and it will be nice for you to make them a quilt, after the initial shock is off, a little extra love makes things feel lighter.

    Your positivity is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia. And thanks for Finished or Not Finished Friday.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry about your niece. So young. Quilting is a comfort--making and giving. Yes, those littles are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I am so lucky to have my little guys close at hand.

      Delete
  12. Such a terrible thing to lose your neice at such a young age. My condolences to you and all her family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sylvia, I am so sorry for your loss. It is amazing and so uplifting that through all the sadness, you found things that give you comfort and bring you joy. We can mourn someone's passing but it is better when we celebrate lives, be they short or long. Of all the Positivity quilts, I like yours the most for that very reason - it is so joyful and life-affirming. Stay strong. Sending big squishy hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Preeti, you are very kind. You're so right about celebrating the lives of those we have lost, which is what is helping her mother most.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!