Saturday, September 18, 2021

Bright Hopes, and The Trouble With Pink

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!


This is such a fun time of year!  I'm starting to finish my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  Blocks I've been making since January are finally going into baby-sized quilts for donation.  I know we have another green month coming up, but I've already used up most of my green scraps, so I'm putting things together early.

The two quilts above are made from Bright Hopes blocks.  (Click HERE for a tutorial on how to make them.  BTW, they're really easy.)

Now about the trouble with pink.  Our culture is pretty specific about the color pink.  It's for girls.  Just for girls.  I don't happen to agree with assigning any one color to any one gender, but this is how it is.  So if I make a quilt with pink in it, it will be donated by the charity to a girl.

Charities often report receiving more quilts for girls than for boys.  So most of the time I make my quilts gender-neutral, with lots of bright colors and fun fabrics for everyone, girls and boys.

In January, when pink was our RSC color, I thought about this "pink problem", and decided to just make enough blocks in most of the sets to make two quilts, one with pink and one without.

Both quilts have lots of novelty prints, like cows and tractors.  And I got to use up some cute pink prints in the "girl" quilt, like pink cowgirl boots, plus a cupcake print in the border.

The orange blocks I just made this month went in the not-pink quilt.  

I quilted both of these little quilts with a 2 in. grid, the pink one with the serpentine stitch and the not-pink one with a straight stitch.

I bound the not-pink quilt with an orange plaid.  The border is a turtle print I got on our vacation in July.

The backing for the pink quilt was considered an Easter print by the local chain store, so after Easter I got it very cheaply.  

The backing of the other quilt is another novelty print, with cars and trucks and helicopters.  I put a strip of the turtle fabric in the middle to make it wide enough.

So that's two quilts made.  They will go to our local Project Linus, which has been revived with a new chair person.  Project Linus gives blankets (including quilts) to children in need.  (Click HERE to find out more about Project Linus).

Guess what's in this fat little package!

Did you guess fabric?

It's an explosion of delicious scraps!  Little Buddy was here when I opened it, and he quickly picked out his favorites--dog bones, penguins, and Thomas the Tank Engine, of course.  This was my prize package from the Positivity Plus challenge, started by Pretti of Sew Preeti Quilts.  I was one of the finishers whose name was pulled out of the hat.  It was so kind of Preeti to organize this challenge to benefit Mercy Hospital, and to curate this scrap bag from her own stash!  By the way, the challenge is on again for 2022.  The pattern is fun and easy, and it goes for such a good cause.

So this has been a great week!  I even got some orange block sewing done.

Crumb hearts, with the cut-off triangles made into Friendship Stars.

Novelty prints just keep on giving!  A Halloween cat dressed up as a pirate and an orange dinosaur peek out of this one.

Little Buddy evaded the camera this week, but Baby Buddy says hi.  He even wore an orange shirt.  It's different here now, with Little Buddy in kindergarten all day, but we still have a good time.

I wishing good times for all in the week ahead.  Take care, and stay safe.

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
 
Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap






 









23 comments:

  1. I love the Bright Hopes blocks, and have a whole quilt made of them, ready to finish! I love your quilts in rainbow colors. I agree with you about the pink not necessarily having to be for girls, but it is certainly entrenched that way in our culture. That prize package is perfect for you, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your Bright Hopes Blocks and also those lovely orange blocks you've put together, Sylvia. Congrats on winning squishy mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hearts and stars, and I know what you mean about pink. It looks like you managed to work around that problem, though, and you ended up with two great quilts. Some lucky children will definitely enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. scraps are such a fun surprise. Great oranges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts for Project Linus. Well done, Sylvia!!
    Love the crumb hearts. Happy weekend and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was excited to receive my squishy package from Preeti too! I scored some of that dog bone fabric! It’s a good one! I really like the crumb hearts! They need to go on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to get scraps in the mail? I should put up a sign, Will Work for Scraps.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You pushed the pedal to the metal. Congrats on finishing TWO lovely quilts. My "boy" quilts always have a little pink in it because there's a mother, grandmother, aunt, sister in the life of every boy. It's a reminder that this little boy is not alone. But I wouldn't put that much pink in it. Haha. That's really a girly quilt and it's fabulous! Love those crumb heart blocks. Congratulations on the winning. Such a lovely prize. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a nice thought! Little boys need the women and girls in their lives.

      Delete
  8. TWO quilt finishes and some ORANGE sewing, too? Go, Sylvia, go!! Baby Buddy was your cheering squad. Congrats on that fabulous prize win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Baby Buddy is definitely moral support as needed.

      Delete
  9. Orange is a great gender neutral substitute for pink. I'm sure a baby boy would enjoy the pink as well, but parents can still be so old fashioned about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's the parents/caregivers, etc. more than the kids themselves. Until they get a little older. But even in kindergarten, my Little Buddy's favorite color right now is actually pink.

      Delete
  10. Love both of your scrappy bright hope quilts. And your orange blocks look great too. The heart blocks are on my list for a future RSC project.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And thanks for Oh Scrap. It's a fun party every week.

      Delete
  11. I think the bag of scraps went to the perfect person! Your use of them shines in both of your finished quilts. Great job and Baby Buddy is adorable in his little orange shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilts are beautiful!! I agree about pink - but one year we have a cattlebarons ball and the theme was Real Cowboys wear pink - I think it helped change some minds haha!! Well - it was fun anyways!

    Love all your new fabrics - what fun you will have sorting thru those and creating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like these 2 quilts. And it's not just pink that's automatically goes to girls - purple usually does too. The thing about pink for girls, blue for boys that's really humorous is that it wasn't too long ago that it was just the opposite. Red was considered a more masculine color than blue, so pink was for boys. Blue was considered more feminine, so light blue for girls. To make the whole color thing even more ridiculous is the research that babies love bright bold color with lots of contrast - the brighter & bolder the better, so all the pastels babies are stuck with are probably totally boring.

    I wonder, who would get a quilt with pink cars and trucks on one side, and blue dinosaurs on the other?? Boy? Girl? Or would it languish in the donation pile due to brain lock on part of the adults involved?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!