Saturday, September 11, 2021

Happy Scrappy Orange

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Isn't this shirt a hoot?  It just shouts 1960s hippy culture, doesn't it.  It was worn by John Lennon back then, and now hangs in Cleveland at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

The diamond shapes in the flowers and the graceful leaves and stems make me think of antique quilts, but it was the orange color that really caught my eye.  Orange is on my mind and under my needle this month as I make blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

First, the Four Patch Stars.  To make these, I use 2.5 in. wide strips and my trusty Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers.

I don't have a lot of novelty prints in orange, but I did find a little minion for one square.  Not sure if this is Bob or Kevin.  My grandkids tried to educate me on the minions' names, but the lesson didn't sink in. 

The log cabin blocks got done last night.  These have been lots of fun to sew.

Again, not a huge variety of orange fabrics.  I think I might need to go shopping!

Here are all the log cabin blocks I made this year.  I'm going to start putting them into small quilts soon.  I know we will have another month of green, but I've already used up most of my green scraps. 

 With all the blocks I've made this year, I will have LOTS of quilts for donations, so I need to get started piecing tops together and quilting.

Do you do this with your projects?  This year, because I had so many things going for the RSC, I started using a notebook.  Above is a chart I made for the different kinds of blocks (there are more on the back!).  I also wrote down the cutting directions for each block, etc.  It has saved me a lot of time and aggravation.  The only problem was occasionally losing the notebook under a pile of fabric.

I have a favor to ask.  Has anybody made a pillow out of a latch hook piece?  Can you steer me to good directions?  My youngest daughter made this years ago, and it was stored in a box in the basement.  My excellent hubby has been cleaning things out (hurray!) and I volunteered to finish this adorable Lion King design into a pillow.  Should I line it before finishing?  Any help will be appreciated.

Baby Buddy and I found the first orange maple leaf in the park this week.  (I took it out of his mouth as soon as I took the picture!)  Everything is still a lovely green, but fall is definitely coming.  

When I was younger, I always looked ahead, wanting the year to hurry along.  Now I drag my feet a bit, trying to just take each day as it comes.  They fly by pretty fast anyway.

Have a good week, everyone.  Let's take time to remember September 11, 2001, and all the caring people who helped others that day.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy (home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge)
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












24 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE those ORANGE 4-Patch Stars, Sylvia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you track your projects. I like to take notes on my projects and write out instructions, but yours is a lot more detailed. It looks very efficient. Thanks for sharing your method. Baby Buddy looks happy to be out gazing at and tasting the beauty of the fall. My granddaughter is around the same age, but she prefers putting rocks in her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling, thinking of your granddaughter! Baby Buddy loves to put rocks in a cup. And dump them out. And put them back. Pretty much all day.

      Delete
  3. I think you have some pretty oranges in your blocks, Sylvia! Those 4 patch stars are going to make a beautiful quilt. You can be reassured to know that I didn't even know minions had names! :) I always start the year thinking I'm going to track my projects carefully, but don't keep up with it very well. I have lots of quilt tops to finish, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Isn't this an exciting time of year, when we start putting all the colors together into new quilts? I love the RSC!

      Delete
  4. I do have a notebook with all the information about the blocks I am making this year, and it helps a lot. 4 patch star blocks are beautiful and Baby Buddy is so cute. I can't help you with the latch hook piece, but Lion King is pretty. Have a wonderful weekend Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get some good advice on how to finish up the lion it will make a great cushion. When completed, will you be offering it back to your clever daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your orange stars and the log cabins! I keep a notebook with lots of block instructions! And I keep track of Covered in Love blocks every year! Angela offers a tracking spreadsheet at the beginning of each year. I use that for RSC blocks. There is a link to it in her January 4th blog post. I keep it in my project box, but a 3 ring notebook or theme folder would work also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! Thanks for reminding me about Angela's spreadsheet, it's such a good idea. She takes good care of us!

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of keeping the RSC block info in a notebook. Sometimes I write down the info on index cards or a sheet a paper that is stored in a plastic sleeve protector. Sorry although I have made hooked rugs I've never turned one into a pillow. Good luck finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I may need some luck to figure this pillow thing out. Good ideas for organizing, which I could definitely do more of.

      Delete
  8. All your orange-ness is pretty. Love the log cabin blocks. Baby Buddy will be loving walks more as Fall sets in with nice walking weather. I know my dog does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H.! I'm looking forward to a break from the summer heat. We've had a lot of 90 degree days, which is unusual for Wisconsin.

      Delete
  9. All your orange is wonderful and I wouldn't know that you didn't have much of it! I haven't made a pillow from a latch hook project; but, I would put a backing on it just to make it smoother when you are constructing the pillow. As for organizing. . .it is something I need to start!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good assortment of oranges. Of course, I'd never stop someone from shopping for new fabrics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are such great blocks!!and right? I just call them all minions haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! My grand kids are very particular about their minions! I enjoy their enthusiasm, and I'll just let them correct me when I get it wrong.

      Delete
  12. I'd probably use a backing on the hooked rug, as it would give the seams a bit more support. Definitely line the back if you are going to stuff it with loose filling (I'm sure you know that though!). Also, use painters tape to hold the yarn ends away from the seam, it will save going back and trying to pull them out of the seams. Rather than trying a zipper, or hand sewing the opening, I'd go with an envelope style backing where the 2 back pieces overlap. Trying to keep the back smooth can be a PITA due to the difference of thickness in front vs back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, JustGail! This sounds like the voice of experience. I feel so much better about approaching this project!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!