Saturday, September 4, 2021

September Sewing

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  And happy Labor Day weekend to all who celebrate.

 I'm celebrating finishing this Rail Fence top, which will be given to a veteran by a local group.

It was really windy yesterday afternoon when I tried to get this picture of the quilt on the clothesline.  I just kept thinking, long may she wave!

Nothing could be simpler than a rail fence quilt, and the pieces were already cut out by our charity committee, so it was a perfect project for some mindless sewing for a good cause.

Here's the whole top, laid out on the floor.  I really wanted to add a border, but we aren't supposed to.  The quilt tops the group asked for have to be roughly the same size since they often present several at the same time to the veterans.  The group will quilt and bind the tops, so my work here is done.

I was caught up on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks, and needed something to sew for leaders and enders.  This drawer of 2.5 in. squares came to mind, so I started yet another new project.  (And I'm not even sorry!)

The squares are 1800s reproduction fabrics for the most part, and are leftovers from other quilts, mini charm squares, and even some from the free table at the quilt group.  I'm making these 16 patch blocks, and will set them with alternate blocks of some kind, probably a light shirting fabric.  Some of the red blocks have 16 different fabrics in them.

Orange is the new RSC color for September, and I've made a start on my blocks.  Orange is the last color I need for most of my RSC baby quilts, so soon I can start putting the blocks together.  This is going to be so much fun.

In other news, we have a few family milestones.

Our beautiful granddaughter Miss E. turned 10!  She's going into the fifth grade.

Her brother Mr. H. is now in 7th grade!  It's hard to believe.  

This is a photo of Little Buddy on his first day of kindergarten.  All the brothers got in on the act.  Big Buddy, our oldest grandson, is a junior in high school.  And of course Baby Buddy still comes here every weekday for child care.

Baby Buddy and I go to the park nearly every day.  Some days he wants to play on the playground.  Other days he just takes off walking and I follow with the stroller.  The weather has been beautiful lately and we're enjoying every minute.  (I know what's coming in the months ahead!)

I want to thank everyone for their kind words last week about the loss of my niece.  

Have a lovely weekend, and a happy week ahead.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 










13 comments:

  1. Lots of fun tidbits about your grands - I enjoy them! And look at Baby Buddy taking off like that - he's not a baby anymore. The patriotic rail fence is beautiful, Sylvia. And I love the 16 patch blocks, too! I'm never sorry when I start something new either. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Maybe I should call the little guy Toddler Buddy? Or maybe Pumpkin, which is what I call him most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I saw a quilt like yours on the web a week or so ago and needed one more project in the works (NOT). I was thinking about one for QOV and seeing yours is perfect!! But I AM finishing up a different QOV so maybe that will be next. I'm sorry about your niece..mine is 49, has cancer EVERYWHERE and won't be with us much longer. So sad, so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your niece, Sherrill. Cancer is such a terrible disease.

      Delete
  3. I like milestone pictures- you were good to get orange started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, maggie! I've been looking forward to orange for a while, it's such a great color. (Well, really, they all are.)

      Delete
  4. Starting something new? And why not, it keeps us happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am not counting how many projects I have, or worrying about it. It's my fun time.

      Delete
  5. Lovely donation top, Sylvia! A new RSC project!? Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog. Fun to see pics of all the grands. I like the idea of the rail fence. I've been making little ones in all sorts of colors sometimes using the RSC color and sometimes going wild with other colors. Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie! Going wild with colors sounds like fun! The weekend was lovely, hope yours was too.

      Delete
  7. Oh Baby Buddy.... he steals my heart every time! Love that patriotic rail fence - it is gorgeous!! It will definitely be loved!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!