Saturday, November 6, 2021

Rainbow Stars Baby Quilts

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I've said it before, I love the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  The only thing more fun than making blocks from colorful scraps every month is putting them together into finished quilts.

These little quilts were made from blocks I call Four Patch Stars (they have a 4 patch in the center).  Throughout the year I made 4 of these blocks per month, until I had a total of 36.  

Twenty of the blocks went into this quilt.  These are the red, orange, green, light blue, and dark blue ones.

For sashing, I used 2.5 in. squares.  You might think this would make a dent in my squares.  It probably would for normal people.

This is how many I had left AFTER making the quilt.  (No worries, I've got another quilt planned for these!)

Here's the back, made wide enough by a strip of home cut charm squares.

The main fabric on the back is a bug print!  I'm not a fan of real bugs, but somehow I find bug prints irresistible.  I hope the child who gets this quilt likes bugs.  It measures 42 in. x 52 in., and will go to Project Linus.

So what happened to the other 16 blocks?  Girl quilt!

For this little quilt, I used the pink, purple, aqua, and yellow blocks.

The sashing is a print of tiny stars (cut 2 in. wide),

the backing is a different star print,
 

and the 3 in. finished border is of these happy, fun-loving cats, bought at a quilt shop on our vacation.  The purple polka dot binding came from last month's Granny's Attic sale.  Altogether, the quilt is about 42 in. square.

The quilt weren't the only things flying in the breeze yesterday when I tried to take a picture.  Little Buddy and I looked up from our board game to see kites flying in the park.

This rainbow one was our favorite.  We went outside to look, and wave at the kite flyers.  It was like a gift for us to see.

Gifts of joy are everywhere.  Here's another gift, a book I bought years ago and found in the basement when straightening up.  It's Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts, by Tovah Martin.  As you may know, Tasha Tudor was a children's book author and illustrator.  Despite the cover, it's not a quilting book.  In fact, at the time the book was written she had been working on this quilt for ten years.

I really enjoyed re-reading it this week.  Ms. Tudor had a very unique lifestyle, living as though it was still 1830.  The photographs are wonderful, and it is absolutely amazing how many things in her life were made by her own hands.  She died in 2008, at the age of 92.  By the way, there are no instructions, it's more of a coffee table book.

Some of us just can't give up on Halloween!  Little Buddy had fun dancing with his skinny friend.

Baby Buddy's friend here is our geriatric cat.  The cat loves the kids, even when Baby Buddy forgets and grabs his tail.  

Just being with these little guys is joyful every day.

I'm wishing you gifts of joy this week, and every week!

Thanks for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








 
 
 
 
 
 










23 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing TWO of your RSC21 quilts, Sylvia!! Your little recipients are sure to be thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the happiest quilts, Sylvia! So fun to see close-ups of the fun prints and background fabrics, too. I really love the 4 patch stars! Isn't it fun to find a special book that you forgot you had?! I always enjoy what you share about those grand boys each week, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I love making these quilts, and I'm so lucky to have my grand boys to play with!

      Delete
  3. Hope these are the ones you had at our last meeting I was glad to see them again as I loved them and hope to use you idea to make a happy quilt for my great granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patti! No, these are new ones! So far I have finished 10 of these little quilts from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. (I might have gone a little overboard!) I took the ones from last month's meeting to Micki's for Project Linus.

      Delete
  4. Two beautiful and happy quilts. Children always make our days shine.
    Have a blessed week, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cheerful bright quilts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! Sewing with these bright colors makes me feel cheerful too.

      Delete
  6. Double congratulations on two WONDERFULLY cheerful quilts. You did an awesome job with those stars. I love both, no favourite this time. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those colorful finishes are so darn cute and scrappy! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those four patch stars, dont both quilts look wonderful! Another great idea for a RSC project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I luv how you have the 2" cordinating squares inbetween the stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helenchaffin! I think that's my favorite part. And I didn't have to try to find a sashing fabric that would go with everything!

      Delete
  10. Those star blocks turned into wonderful finishes! I too liked the two inch squares for sashing. Such a clever idea you had!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!