Saturday, November 20, 2021

Anything Goes

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

If you've been here before, you may know that I love scrap quilts.  They are really the only kind I want to make.  I made the quilt in the photo above in 2013. When I start working on one, I choose the fabrics from my bountiful stash.  I can be very persnickety about it.  The fabrics have to belong together, either because of color (brights, fall colors, etc.) time period (reproductions of 1800s or 1930s fabrics), or theme (novelty, patriotic, etc.).  I have often said I can't do random.  Randomly choosing fabrics for quilts?  It makes my stomach hurt. 

But I often love quilts made this way!  I had the privilege of binding this quilt for our guild's charity work.  As you can see, it's a 4 patch, separated by alternate blocks.  And there is EVERYTHING in here.

Solids, reproductions, 1980s florals, tone-on-tone, Christmas fabric, it is all here.

Adorable penguins, ice skating!

And of course Elvis.  Because, why not?

I really like this quilt, and I am sure the recipient will like it, too.  There is so much to look at and enjoy!  Maybe some day I'll be able to let loose a little more and make one myself.

My Baby Buddy enjoyed looking at both quilts I was working on this week,

but he loved this little one, made by Chris.

These are some happy sea creatures!  Chris only had a scrap of this fabric, but she matched it perfectly and seamed it together.

Then she made these cute machine appliques!  Baby Buddy loved running his fingers over them.  I quilted and bound the quilt, and it will go to a new home either with Jack's Basket or Project Linus.

In other news, we had a day off yesterday and went antiquing.  Can you find the treadle sewing machine in this photo?  It's a nice old Singer, with the decals collectors call Red Eye.  If you're looking for one to sew with, a Red Eye is a good choice, since it takes round bobbins that are still available new.

This was a fun booth to look through!  I did buy one of the remnants for 25 cents, plus this one for $1.50:

Truth in advertising!  The tag reads "The cutest robot remnant in the entire world".  It's a heavier fabric, maybe for a small bag or a zipper pouch.

Antique malls really do have an "anything goes" vibe.  This is the weirdest thing I saw yesterday.  Hundreds of miles away from real alligators, you can buy a bright green one with lights, to hang on your wall.  Or any number of other strange and wonderful things.

I would put this pretend dinosaur down as both strange and wonderful.  It's the Little Buddy-asaurus!

I'm going to spend some time resting up today and reading these quilt books I got for $1 each.  Tomorrow the shopping, cooking and baking begins!  We will have all our children and grandchildren here this year, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Happy Thanksgiving next week to all who celebrate.   We have so much to be thankful for.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
















11 comments:

  1. what fun - looking for treasures. That looks like a nice treadle -happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what antiquing is, a treasure hunt! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  2. "Anything goes" quilts can be so fun - almost like an I Spy for the recipient! I love your robot scrap, and I bet you'll find a fun way to use it. Happy Thanksgiving, Sylvia - I know you'll enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt!!! LOVE that one at the top!! oh wow - its a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning that I like working with scraps. . .even the smallest bits! I have enjoyed each and everyone of your finishes and wouldn't have thought random wasn't not your thing! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sylvia, those are really cute scrappy quilts. Maybe one day you can try just putting a whole bunch of blocks together and see how it goes...or not :-) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the quilts! An Elvis sighting--haha! But Baby Buddy steals the show!!! It's fun to see what you found at the antique mall, too! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your “anything goes” guilt is a winner! I think some thought went into it with the light to dark arrangement! And that makes it work! IMHO!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!