Saturday, November 13, 2021

Following Directions, Or Not

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

After months (and months!) of procrastinating, I finished this top this morning!

Sorry about the photo.  Even though it's not as windy today as it was last week, it's still making hanging quilts outside problematic.

The charity committee at my quilt guild is amazing, the envy of other groups in the area.  They not only longarm quilt the tops we make, they also cut donated fabric into kits for us.  We take the kits home, make the tops, and bring them back.  Then the tops are quilted, bound, and distributed throughout the community.  And even though they've gone to the trouble of writing out directions for the kits, they're okay with us changing things a bit.  The goal is the same--quilts for people who need them.

This was not at all the pattern in the kit.  I have a very bad habit not wanting to follow directions, and that's what happened here.  I started out okay, but ran out of steam and set the project aside.  Months later, I came back and revamped it into this design. I have no idea what this pattern is called or who first designed it.  It's one of those "as seen on the internet" ideas.  (If you know where it originated, please tell me so I can give the designer credit.)

 It looks like two blocks, but it's just the same block turned 180 degrees.  I used the strips that came in the kit, plus more from my stash.  I didn't have enough of any one fabric for the centers, so I used two fabrics and alternated them in the rows.  

Because I didn't have an actual pattern, my measurements are a little weird.  The centers are cut 5 in. square, and the strips are 2.5 in. wide.  BUT, there are two different lengths for the rectangles cut from the strips.  The ones to either side of the center are cut 2.5 x 5 in., but the ones on top and bottom have to be cut 2.5 x 4.75 in. long.  Just to make it confusing, and easy to pick up the wrong rectangle.  (This is why we should support professional designers--unlike me, they usually know what they are doing!)  A better way would have been to use 4.5 in. cut centers, which I figured out when I already had half the blocks made.  Then all the rectangles could have been the same, 2.5 x 4.5 in.

Lots of the fabrics are leaf prints, which is perfect for fall.  The top is roughly a twin size, 68.5 x 77 in.  I can't show it on the twin bed in the guest room this morning because the bed is occupied by our sleeping teen-aged grandson.

He was in a play at a local theater last night, as one of the Herdmans in The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  It was great fun, and a wonderful start to the holiday season.  He's shown here in costume as a Wise Man.  We brought him home with us after the show.

They put on the play in a restored old theater in downtown West Bend.  All the Christmas decorations and lights are up, which made it a very festive evening.

Weather wise, it's been a weird week.  Monday was warm and sunny, and Little Buddy had a day off school, so we spent lots of time outside.  Both the little guys are decked out in their Packer gear.  By Friday, we had cold rain that briefly turned into snow.

Before the bad weather, I got some herbs in to dry.  There are thyme, oregano, and sage here.  We'll need the sage soon for Thanksgiving.

Last Saturday I started a small batch of sauerkraut.  I added the last of my caraway seeds, and they do make it smell nice.  It will take a few more weeks before it's ready.

So what are you up to this week?  I'm almost finished with the Windmill blocks I've been sewing for leaders and enders, but some of them need more work, probably cut wrong.

There's a small stack of baby quilts, mostly ones I made from my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks, spray basted and ready to quilt.  Mrs. Pfaff says, bring it on!

And there's more fun to be had with this little guy, who has just discovered the joy of washable markers!

Have a good week, whatever you do.  And good luck with your projects!

Now I'm going to check out what everybody else has been doing this week.  You should join me!

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 












14 comments:

  1. Your guiod does sound like a good one, Sylvia! I like the sound of bringing home a kit, sewing it up, and having another member quilt it for you. I could get a lot more done that way! I like the looks of your pretty fall quilt! November is the month of changeable weather here in Colorado, too. Looks like you made good use of those nice days early in the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It's so nice to use these kits as leaders and enders, and not end up with another project to quilt!

      Delete
  2. Directions or not, you made a lovely quilt top, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie Hunter has a similar pattern on her free patterns page. Imagine yours with another round of strips added.
    https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/crayon-box.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viridian! I've seen that pattern, but never realized it was the same!

      Delete
  4. It turned out a great quilt top, Sylvia and it will give confort to someone in need. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful quilt I made saurkraut for the first time this year - It was yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I really like kraut, but I'm the only one in the family that does. So more for me!

      Delete
  6. That is a great quilt!!! And I like what you did with it!
    how fun to have the grandson at your house!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I am so lucky he still wants to visit his old grandparents!

      Delete
  7. Your finished charity quilt looks great!!! And I like your next blocks, too! Fun seeing your GC!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!