Saturday, January 1, 2022

Follow the Rainbow

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Happy New Year, everyone!  Can you believe it's 2022 already?

Like I always say, I love the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I got carried away this year making blocks from my kid-friendly scraps, but it's all for a good cause.  These small quilts will go to Project Linus to comfort children in tough situations.  It's a lot of work, but I regret nothing.

(Oops, too much sunlight!  That is usually not the problem around here, sorry!)  I made two baby quilt tops from the log cabin RSC blocks, and got this one quilted yesterday.

The blocks were made from 2 in. cut strips.  I used up most of these strips.  (That's the idea, right? Then why does it make me a little sad?)

I tried something different with the quilting on this one.  Using a stencil (remember those?) I drew lines on the front with a purple disappearing quilt marker and quilted right over the blocks.  As soon as I finished the quilting, I washed the quilt in cold water, and all the purple came out.
 

On the back is a cute carrot print I got at our guild's recent silent auction.  With these quilting lines, I can imagine a carrot field after the tractor went through.  I bound it with orange, of course.

Today I'm quilting the other log cabin.  This is a more pastel rainbow.  Carrots on the back here, too.

After these two are done, there are only two more, and they are layered and basted, ready to quilt.  That will make 20 baby quilts from Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.

So what are we going to sew for the RSC this year?

I have a lot of 3.5 in. squares, triangles, and strips in bright colors and novelty prints.  Not sure what I'll do yet, but these need a quilty home.

The RSC has helped me make lots of progress with most of my scraps, but these multi-color ones keep piling up.  I need to think of a project for them.

And back before Christmas, I bought some new Accuquilt dies.  I can't wait to try them out!

I don't do New Year's Resolutions, but I make an annual More or Less list for my quilting, which is kind of similar.  On it go 3 things I want to do More of, and 3 things I hope to do Less of.

More in 2022:

Cleaning the sewing room.  It's so easy to just sew when I have time off, but stuff piles up and the amount of thread on the floor is ridiculous.
Quilt As You Go.  Big quilts are often intimidating to quilt on my domestic machine, but QAYG works fine.  And I actually like doing it!
Organizing the stuff in the basement.  I tend to just pile stuff up there, too.  It's a horror show.  No pictures.

Less in 2022:

Buying fabric.  I know, everybody has this one on their list!  I have an insane amount of fabric.  I need to buy fabric for specific projects, not just because it's fun.  Exception:  second hand fabric.

Starting new projects just because I ran out of leaders and enders.  Have you ever heard of a sillier excuse for starting a new project?  I have lots of old projects that could get closer to being done if I used them for leaders and enders.

Watching TV without a handwork project. I actually like handwork, but you couldn't tell it by the quilts I finish.  This rule is suspended for suspenseful shows, but fully in force for baking shows and news.

So, Happy New Year!  It is a joy to look ahead and think about our hopes for this year, even given how difficult the last couple of years have been.  In the days and weeks ahead, we can look for ways to make things better for all of us.

Many, many thanks to Angela for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (a bright spot every week!) and to all the quilters and bloggers that make this corner of the internet such a friendly place to be.

Happy Holidays from our little Santa and his elf!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 



 










20 comments:

  1. I love the picture of your Buddies. You can't help smiling when you see them. I have watched with envy as you tackled your scraps with the RSC project this year. Hopefully, I can motivate myself to start sewing again. Thank you for all of the great posts in 2021. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pile of quilts - It is so cool that you can spread the love that way. Your rainbow Log Cabin is wonderful!

    you have THE cutest Santa and Elf !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I love your Cowboy plaid quilt. Thanks for Finished or Not Finished Friday!

      Delete
  3. Your rainbow log cabins are so pretty, Sylvia! A friend gave me a bunch of 2 inch strips - that would be a good way to use them up. I love your More and Less lists - great idea! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! What a great gift, 2 in. strips! Have a Happy Scrappy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Glad to know I am not the only one with the sewing room that is not able to pick itself up! Sigh, I should do as you indicate and pick up as I got as well this year. So many beautiful quilts and I can't wait to see what you create with those new dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I'm going to get out the vacuum today, right after I pick up all the pins stuck in the carpet. Look out, sewing room!

      Delete
  5. LOVE your More or Less list, Sylvia and that big old stack of RSC21 quilts!!! Santa Buddy and little elf are TOO cute! Wishing you a Scrappy New Year and much success on that list of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you about the multi-colored scraps piling up! I saw an idea on soscrappy - her crmub blocks surrounded by black/white frames, then offset to look like a lattice. I think I am going to use my multi-colored scraps to achieve the same look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your log cabins are great. I like your idea of a More and Less list, I can see you doing even more sewing in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful log cabin quilts, and I love your way of quilting them, I've got a wavy ruler so should try that idea some time. I've always enjoyed tagging along on your quilting adventures, let's see what you get up to this year! Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OWO Sylvia, I love the log cabin quilts ♥
    Happy New Year, and Good Luck with your more and less list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful pile of quilts you have there. Your newest is so bright and happy. You are certainly spreading lots of love.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of the bright fabrics and novelties being used for children's quilts. I haven't decided on my RSC yet but I know I'm not making 6" blocks. Maybe I'll use one of my dies and make the RSC blocks from it. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects! I love the idea of making Project Linus quilts for the RSC Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason, you did not appear in my feedly account until today! Oh, well. I loved seeing your little buddies--they are very cute. What a great idea: listing what you want to do more of and less of for the new year. I think I will adopt that. Best wishes for you for 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those project Linus quilts are so sweet! If you feel sad about the fabric out just think of the kids you are comforting and your "less fabric" resolution and you will be beaming all over again! Can't agree with you on NOT starting a new "leader/ender": I've been positively amazed at just how much gets done using that method. So feel free to start a new one because it means you are making two quilts at a time and that's always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!