Saturday, January 29, 2022

Old and New

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

For many years, I actively collected antique quilts.  My favorites were scrap quilts (of course!) and tops or block sets.  I didn't mind if they weren't perfectly made or in perfect condition.  I learned so much from studying those old quilts.  I love to share them, in person, on the blog, and as home decoration.  This year, I plan to show you a few on the last Saturday of the month.

This month's quilts are small and red.  Check out the date on this square--January 29, 1916!  Exactly one hundred and six years ago today, someone embroidered this.  It's amazing to think how much has changed since then, and how much remains the same.

This one is not exactly an antique.  I bought these old redwork blocks for 50 cents each at a flea market many years ago, and in 2019 I finished them into a small hand-quilted quilt.  (You can read about it HERE, in February 2019's posts.)  It makes me happy to see all the farm animals, plus the jack-o-lantern, a witch on a broomstick, and a cat playing a fiddle.  If you click on the picture, you can see them a little better.

The second antique is a doll-sized tied quilt.  It's a little wonky, as doll quilts frequently are.  Many of them were the first quilting efforts made by a child.  From the fabrics, this quilt probably dates to the 1890s.

Do you see the horseshoe print?  There's also a riding crop (a whip) with it.  Mothers often dressed their little ones in these "conversation prints", as they were known.  I found this treasure in an antique mall in Oklahoma, when I was visiting my mom.  It's a reminder of a nice day together.

In other news, I just had to add one more red project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

Crayons!  I've wanted to make a crayon quilt for a long time.  I didn't need a pattern, just sewed 18 rectangles (2.5 in. x 4.5 in.) into a strip. I added a 4 in. finished point at the top made with the Tri Recs tools, the same way I  made ice cream cone blocks.  All the rectangles are different red prints.  Easy and fun.  Can't wait to make crayons in the rest of the colors!

The red string quilt is layered and basted, and getting quilted.  It takes a little longer than a baby quilt of course.  I'm working on this while I wait for the backing I ordered for my cross stitch quilt (you know, the one I've been working on since 1967!  It's not getting set aside ever again!).

This one is done.  Someone in my wonderful quilt group made the six center blocks and added the tan sashing.  I sewed on the two outer borders, and quilted and bound it.  

The back is this cozy black and green flannel.  It's not very big, less than twin sized, but it might work for a cot at the homeless shelter.  I will leave it to the charity committee at my group to decide where it ends up.

Speaking of our amazing quilt group, look at this!  Because I was the moderator for about half of last year (meaning I led the meetings), they gave me this wonderful gift--a handmade basket full of fabric!

Since they know how much I love making quilts for babies and children, they packed the basket full of fun novelty prints and even yardage for backing!  It was so kind of the ladies to do this.  I appreciate it very much.

I've started cutting up some of the pieces.  Fussy cutting these little squares is so much fun.

Here's some big fun--our little buddies working puzzles on a cold winter's day.  Baby Buddy has magnetic dinosaurs, and Little Buddy is putting together a U.S. map.  They work well together when they have separate projects!

I hope your projects are all coming together nicely, whether you work alone or in a group, or both!  Have a great week.

I'm looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and seeing what all the bloggers have been up to, thanks to the hostesses of these weekly linky parties.  Come join us!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 





 






26 comments:

  1. The crayon quilt is going to be so much fun. A perfect rainbow scrap project. Lots of fun fabrics in that basket. Glad you were able to start putting them to use already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela! Isn't that an amazing present? It's so tempting to just start a bunch of new projects with these fabrics. Not sure I can resist!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh ! lots of fun in this post! I love the Crayon block!
    Your antique quilts - How cool!!! It is fun to research them I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! You're right, I have loved researching antique quilts, especially ones with signatures.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have a lot of projects coming to a finish. What a thoughtful and creative gift, a basket filled with fabrics you can use and have fun with. Do you need some more novelty fabric? Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! The ladies in my quilt group are very kind and thoughtful. You stay safe too!

      Delete
  4. A basket filled with fabrics, is just a perfect gift! Enjoy and have much fun playing with them. Love your antique quilts, Sylvia. The crayon quilt is still in my whish to do list. It will be nice seeing your progress month after month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obigada, Ivani! You are so right, what's a better gift than a basket of fabric? Have a good week.

      Delete
  5. I'll enjoy seeing your antique quilts this year, Sylvia! I love the redwork blocks you turned into a quilt - I'm embroidering redwork snowmen right now that will go into a quilt later this year. A crayon quilt will be so fun! And your quilt group thought of the perfect gift for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann. I always say, the ladies in my quilt group are amazing. They kept the group going even through the early days of the pandemic, when I didn't dare to go to meetings because of my little buddies.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your antique quilts and red crayon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing those two RED quilt, along with your new RED Crayon and your current quilting projects, Sylvia! It's always fun to see what you are working on. Enjoy that wonderful gift you received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm already cutting up pieces and using them for aqua blocks. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

      Delete
  8. The boys are getting so big! That crayon.... love it. I might have to duck into the sewing room and play a little and see if one might get created tonight. Love those antique quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! It seemed like everybody was making the crayons for a while (last year? year before?). They were so cute. I'm glad to finally be getting around to it.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading about your antique quilts. Lucky you, getting that basket full of kiddies prints, just for you to get stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friends have realized my favorite gifts are their scraps. They call it a win-win :)

    I can already envision your adorable kid's quilts. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And thanks for the weekly fun at Oh Scrap.

      Delete
  11. What a great way to make a crayons quilt! Even I could make that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! I'm holding myself back from just making all the crayons right now instead of waiting for the RSC color of the month! So easy, so much fun!

      Delete
  12. Brilliant crayon blocks!!! I enjoy seeing your antique quilts and your little buddies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the old quilts! I enjoyed reading about them. Your crayon blocks will make a nice RSC project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!