Saturday, February 26, 2022

Diamonds Are Forever

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's the last Saturday of the month, so time for some antique quilts!  Or in this case, antique tops.  

I have loved collecting antique quilt tops.  They're often affordable, store easily, and remind me that quilters of the past didn't finish everything, either.  

Quilts made with diamond shapes really have been around for at least 300 years.  When it comes to pieced quilts, that's pretty much forever!  Diamonds are very versatile, and can be combined with other shapes to make lots of blocks.

First up is this unusual 60 degree diamonds top.

It was made around 1940, and is set in bands of color, like a rainbow quilt.  (Is that why it caught my eye?)

This pattern has several names, including baby blocks.  Quilters would typically sew 2 of these diamonds together (the yellow print ones, here) and add the third with a set-in angle (the yellow solid).   Most quilters would hand piece them.

The quilter who made this top was NOT typical.  For one thing, she/he machine pieced it.  For another, it looks as though the print diamonds were sewn into a long row, and then the solid diamonds were added in.  This would have been quite a job, with all those set in angles, especially using a sewing machine.

But that's not all.  I don't know if you can tell from this very amateur photo, but all three of these large green print diamonds have been made up from smaller pieces skillfully sewn together so that the seam virtually disappears.

Here's another example.  Would you even dream of trying to match up these skinny red and white stripes?  She very nearly pulls it off perfectly!

One more thing!  In this whole twin-sized top, there are no two prints alike.  Some rows, like blue and green, repeat but do not use any of the same prints.  You may have heard of charm quilts (which by the way has nothing to do with charm squares).   This was a fad from long ago, to make quilts with no two pieces alike.  This quilt is NOT technically a charm quilt, since the solid colors repeat.  It is however a very original take on a traditional design.

Let's go back fifty more years to 1890, and see a real charm quilt.

This one is smaller than the first, a narrow twin size or maybe lap size.
 

It's 60 degree diamonds again, made with lots of interesting scraps.  Although many of the fabrics are similar, no two are exactly the same.

I just love looking at all these prints!  The variety is amazing.  And of course that's one of the best things about charm quilts.

The fabrics are typical of clothing from this time period, with lots of indigo blue, brown, red, double pink, and black.

This time, the diamonds are hand pieced into rows.  The quilter sewed two dark diamonds, one light diamond, two dark diamonds, and so on into long vertical rows.  Then she/he set the rows together, and it makes a horizontal pattern of dark and light.  I wonder if quilters had trouble finding light fabrics then, too?  There are twice as many dark rows as light rows, and there are some medium shade diamonds in the light rows.  Just wondering.

The first quilt top came from a silent auction years ago at my quilt guild.  I found the second one crumpled up in a booth in an antique mall in Milwaukee.  I don't know anything about their histories, sadly.  (I always ask.)

Sometimes people ask me if I plan to quilt the tops I've collected.  It is perfectly okay to quilt a top that's not of historic value (neither of these are), but there can be other concerns.  The 1890 charm quilt has a few fragile pieces that would need to be reinforced, and it might need to be hand quilted for that reason.  I probably will not take the time or trouble, and will just enjoy it as it is.  The 1940 top, however, could be quilted by machine since the fabrics are in such good shape.  However, the quilter had some trouble will those set in seams.  The top doesn't lie flat, and there are places that would need re-sewing.  Plus I have so many tops that I've made myself, waiting to be finished.   So we'll see.

In other news, a little more aqua.

Our quilt guild is starting a Block of the Month, and March's block is Shoofly.  We're to make two blocks, but reverse the color placement in the second one.  I already had the aqua strips out for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, so now I've got this "assignment" done.  Quilt homework is the best kind.

I caught our little buddies "reading" together the other day.  I hope they'll always love books!

By the way, if you're wondering why my photos are even worse than usual, blame our weather!  We have had days of gloomy skies, an ice storm, and snow, so today when the sun shone brightly I just couldn't shut it out, even to take pictures!  It was so uplifting to see the beautiful blue sky.

This week, I'm wishing blue skies ahead for us all, and lots of sunshine.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 

 








 









18 comments:

  1. Those diamond quilts are amazing, Sylvia! I've never sewn anything with that shape because I'm afraid I'd have trouble matching up those seams. Maybe it would be easier with hand-piecing. I love your shoofly blocks in reverse colors! Sounds like you'll enjoy the BOM. Wishing you sunny days and melting snow - we're finally getting that in Colorado, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Matching seams is always easier with hand piecing(IMHO)! So glad your weather is improving, too. Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing those antique quilt tops, Sylvia! I have a few and tried longarming one of them. Too bad my skills were up for a Double Wedding Ring!! It got pulled off the frame and it waiting to have the stitches removed. Nice start on your BOM in the February Color of the Month. That looks like a fun addition to your RSC line-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, the dreaded ripping, so much worse with quilting than piecing! I have a star quilt that needs the same thing, I'm not gonna say how long it's been languishing! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. It was so nice to see those older tops you have collected, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love sharing my old quilts and tops. We can learn so much from seeing what other people do, in the past and right now!

      Delete
  4. I do love reading about your old quilt tops collection,Sylvia.
    The 2 Shoofly blocks looks pretty in Aqua color.
    Beautiful winter picture, love the contrast of blue sky and white all around. Have a Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivani! Happy weekend to you, too, and have a good week!

      Delete
  5. Aren’t antique tops amazing to look at? We don’t see many in our area. Or at least I don’t! I do have one pieced by my grandmother, probably in the 30s. I hope your buddies will always be readers too! Looks like they are heading that direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! Those of us with family quilts are really lucky. I'm working on those boys being readers--they love being read to. Reading has enriched my life for sure.

      Delete
  6. What a cool top!!! and the unique findings you found!!
    But by favorite statement is " a reminder that other quilters didn't finish too" truthfully - so encouraging!!! That means a top will be loved in its own timing right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! And if I don't finish everything I start, I hope my tops and block sets will find a new home with someone who will love them!

      Delete
  7. Sylvia, that snowy vista is spectacular. And both of those quilt tops are so lovely! You know, longarm quilting could be a good option for either of those tops, especially the fragile one, and it might not require reinforcing any of the fabric patches first. I'm thinking of a traditional pattern like Baptist Fan, quilting lines 1/2" to 3/4" apart depending on the scale of the diamond patches, and a fine matte thread like 50 wt So Fine that mimics the look of cotton thread and fits a smaller needle that will make very small holes. A generous amount of quilting with stitching lines close together reinforces the weaker fabrics of the quilt top by "marrying" the quilt top to the batting and backing fabrics for strength, so that when someone grabs or tugs at the quilt they are never just grabbing hold of the quilt top layer and stressing the piecing seams or risking the quilting stitches ripping right through the quilt top. In the vintage quilts that have come to me for repair, the ones that were hand quilted sparsely hold up only slightly better than the ones that were tied. I just quilted Baptist Fan with 1/2" spacing on a client's Civil War reproduction sampler and from a distance, it has the appearance of extensive hand quilting. Just an idea! I know what you mean about your own quilt tops taking priority, though. Those aqua shoo-fly blocks are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca Grace! Good point about the amount of quilting. Often I find old quilts only holding together because of the quilt stitches. The more quilting, the better! And I agree, Baptist Fan would be a good choice of design for the 1890 quilt, or many other antique/vintage tops. I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of having the tops professionally quilted by someone like you who has the experience and skill, and would take great care with them. Duh! (Sound of hand hitting forehead). I'm going to keep this in mind! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I loved the walk through history with those beautiful olden tops. Thank you for the peeks at the back sides too. Way to apply RSC to the guild challenge. Very pretty as well and it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! I always love turning over an old quilt top and seeing how it was made.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful old tops! I've got a Lemoyne Star quilt made by one of my great grandmothers with pieces from small diamond shapes. It is hand quilted, sparsely, and much of the fabric is deteriorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad to see the fabrics deteriorating? Especially after all the work that was put into the quilt. But I don't mind seeing quilts that were loved to "death". They served their purpose, and warmed a family.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!