Friday, February 11, 2022

Strings, Robots, Umbrellas, and Beach Balls

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

This is a picture of a squirrel in a tree.  No, really.  Back in November, our quilt guild held a silent auction.   Among lots of other things, I won a stack of string quilt blocks made by the fabulous Laverne D.  This is what happened to them.

I just couldn't wait to work on this project!  So I took off after it like a hound dog after a squirrel.  Another fabulous guild member, whom I call Nancy, Queen of Scraps, had been showing us interesting ways to make string blocks, so I used one of her designs.  I cut the squares into rectangles, bordered two opposite sides with solid red strips (making them red was my idea), and then set them together.  

There are so many different kinds of fabric in these blocks.  This bright yellow really stands out.  You can see the very simple quilting I did to get from top to finished quilt.

For the back, I used an older print with a small flower.  There are 4 different red solids in this quilt, including the binding.

Here's how it looks after washing.  None of the reds bled, not even a little bit!  I'm keeping this one, I just love it.  And if wasn't for my quilt guild, it would never have happened.

In other news, it's aqua/teal month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This week's blocks are Split Nine Patches, made from a box of 3.5 in. squares and triangles, plus strips as needed.

Many years ago, I made a pillowcase for my oldest grandson with a border of robots.  I can't believe there are still scraps of that robot fabric in my stash!  The teal boot fabric came from my very first order with Connecting Threads online shop.

More fun stuff.  The little elephant in the light block was in the amazing basket given to me by guild members last month.  Of course the Cat in the Hat and Scooby Doo are here.  And the robots again.

Just can't get enough robots!  And a cheeky lion in the center.  On the left is the south end of a northbound dinosaur.  The odd fabric on the center right is a fish print, with very large fish.

Last one, I promise!  The color of this one is a lot lighter than the others.  I never had any yardage of the Sponge Bob fabric, just scraps from friends.  I will be sad when it's all gone.  The weird little toy  looks like Sponge Bob is surfing across the floor when you push it.  Baby Buddy thinks it's a car.

Here's a little more light aqua, and a cautionary tale.

At the end of last summer, I went clothes shopping.  Before I left the house, I unplugged the iron, turned off the radio and the computer, and switched off the lights.  Somehow, I didn't switch off the "fabric shopping" part of my brain.

It's not surprising.  I'm always looking for fabric everywhere I go, from antique malls and thrift shops to book stores and gift shops in national parks.  And clothes are actually made out of fabric.  Plus we touch them, like we touch the bolts in the quilt shops, to see how it feels and if it's good quality.
 

If you've read this blog before, you might know how I feel about novelty prints.  It borders on obsession.  So when I saw this shirt, with cute umbrellas and beach balls (each with a touch of aqua!) my resistance was quite low.  It came home with me.

I must have tried it on, but I have no memory of it.  Maybe I was blinded by the umbrellas.  The first time I wore it for real was a revelation.  It did fit--well, sort of.  The short sleeves were too short, with an annoying cuff that wouldn't stay put.  The shirt itself was not as long as I like, and the cut was very unflattering.  The buttons were ridiculously small.  And worst of all, I look terrible in this color.  What was I going to do with it?

Cue the Psycho music.

 

Wait, you might say.  What about a thrift store?  I was considering that, until I saw a picture of a huge mound of discarded clothes in the Chilean desert.  (Check it out HERE.)  Let's face it, not everybody is going to want a large greenish-blue shirt printed with umbrellas and beach balls.  It could easily end up in a landfill.

Yeah, this was the responsible thing to do.  At least it was 100% cotton.  I got large pieces from the fronts and the back, smaller ones from the sleeves, back yoke, and collar, and I'm keeping the buttons for a baby sweater.  The pile of seams etc. got thrown away.  You can expect to see this fabric in my quilts before too long.

 Meanwhile, back at the ranch house...

My younger daughter sent me this photo of her boys.  They're hanging out in Little Buddy's room, and something is very funny.  These silly guys light up my life.

I hope your life is full of light today, and all week long.  Happy quilting!

Thanks for reading this,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

I'm linking up with some fun linky parties this weekend.  Come join us! 

Finished or Not Finished Friday, hosted by Alycia

TGIFF, hosted by Sandra 

So Scrappy, hosted by Angela 

Oh Scrap, hosted by Cynthia







 

 












19 comments:

  1. Love the red background fabric for the string blocks. Great teal scrap blocks and wonderful rescue of the cute umbrella & beach ball fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the red scrap quilt!!!!!! It would definitely be a keeper for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your squirrel in the tree--haha!!! I'm impressed that none of the red bled with washing. So cute. And great start on your teal blocks, too--super fun novelties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Again you have given me hope that I really can make all my varied fabrics into cohesive looking quilts! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your quilt finish and those lovely AQUA blocks for the RSC!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obsession with novelty fabrics? As a fan of Sponge Bob, it is a no brainer he had to be used in your blocks. I can just imagine the time and fun spent looking for all the different eye spy candy on this quilt. Love that you cut up the shirt, the bits not being used can be used for two things, doorstops and inner pillows for dog beds for the humane society. The outer pillows are sewn with thick fabrics like old jeans with a zipper closer’s so the covers can be washed. This way it does not end up in a landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful red string quilt. Love your aqua split Nine patch blocks, there are a lot of I spy on them. This week I watched a report news about textile waste. Very worrying.
    You did well recycling your shirt fabric, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great finish and a chuckle with the shirt

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your squirrel in a tree, Sylvia! That's such a beautiful quilt. I've never used red as a background, but now I sure want to - it's so perfect with your scrappy strings. Great Split 9 patches, too - you have the best novelty prints! So fun to see your buddies having fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever quilt you created from your String blocks win. Great idea to use red to frame the string oblongs( successful change from square blocks). No wonder you have decided to keep this quilt, I would too! Lovely snippets of fabrics in your Split Nine Patch’s. Good choice to cut up the turquoise shirt and save it from landfill. That picture is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever quilt you created from your String blocks win. Great idea to use red to frame the string oblongs( successful change from square blocks). No wonder you have decided to keep this quilt, I would too! Lovely snippets of fabrics in your Split Nine Patch’s. Good choice to cut up the turquoise shirt and save it from landfill. That picture is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think those beach balls and umbrellas will be much happier and more well loved in your quilts than as an uncomfortable shirt. Such fun fabrics in your teal blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that red background! You have me wanting to run and start a new scrap quilt.

    I now cut up my cotton shirts too rather than donate. I know it won't end up in a landfill that way. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shirt. I bought one secondhand and I love wearing it! I had intended to cut it up but since it fits it will be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did with the string blocks and the red fabric suits it to a T! I'll have to visit some thrift shops again. I got out of the habit with the virus when everything closed down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Squirrel is Amazing!!! Why is it so fun to play with other peoples blocks haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. String quilts are so much fun to make! My favorite block is the trusty nine-patch. With his brother, the split nine-patch close behind! I have several piles of these, but my splits have a full square in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely luv that you did red for the background in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmm It is like we have the same brain! Quilters' brains work in amazing ways! Love that scrappy red quilt, now I know what to do with one of my piles of string blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!