Saturday, April 23, 2022

Scraps of Pink

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Here's my barrel cactus on the windowsill, blooming again.  The little flowers are such a cheerful shade of pink, just right for pink month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Thanks as always to Angela for encouraging us to use our scraps in all the colors.

I didn't get much sewing done this week, but I did manage to finish the hollow nine patch blocks for this baby quilt, and set them together.  Taking the photo outdoors was a challenge.  The sunlight is wonderful, but the wind kept inflating the top like a balloon. 

Here's the top indoors, where it can lie quietly.  I was inspired to make this quilt by Mari, the Academic Quilter, and the lovely banner on her blog.

My sashing fabric was a spring flowers print, which I bought as a remnant.  The blocks are 6 each of pink, purple, yellow, blue, and green.  You can see all the crazy novelty prints in the little scraps, like a ghost with a lollipop, bees, lady bugs, a giraffe, etc.

The border is this adorable Hoffman print.  Little bears, bunnies, and dogs are floating in the sky with balloons and kites.  It came from the wonderful basket given to me by my quilt group.  That basket just keeps on giving!

Would you believe I actually had to cut MORE 2.5 in. squares to make these blocks?  For once, that box is getting emptied.


Quilt tops have been piling up around here, and it's going to get worse.  Last weekend, I got this stack of quilts ready to be worked on.  There are 7 baby quilts to be quilted, plus a larger quilt to bind on the bottom.  Mrs. Pfaff and I started on the first one, but about half way through she suddenly seized up.  I think there's a thread mess inside, not sure, but I couldn't do anything with it.  Wednesday I took her to the repair shop, and they say it will be at least 2 weeks until she's fixed.  Quilt finishing just came to a screeching halt.  (Cue the record scratch!)  

I will find things to do, of course, while I await Mrs. Pfaff's return.  Maybe my basket of "some assembly required" blocks will get put together.  Or there could be a new project or two.

This year, the quilt group is doing a Block of the Month, led by Nancy, Queen of Scraps.  April's block was Hole in the Barn Door, with the colors done two ways.  All who are interested make the blocks, and bring them to the meeting.  Then we put our name on a slip of paper (one for each block we made), and a winner is drawn, who gets all the blocks.  I made mine in pink, since I already had the scraps out.  

Who loves chocolate icing?  This Little Guy!  I let him lick the beater for the first time, with happy predictable results.  It took a while to clean him up, but I know he'd say it was worth it.

I think April is the miscellaneous month for weather in Wisconsin.  This week we had snow, fog, rain (lots of it!) and wind, but there was one warm sunny day to go to the playground and walk in the park.

Whatever the weather, I hope you have a great week ahead.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap



 


9 comments:

  1. I love your hollow 9 patch quilt! I have to put those blocks on my list. The sashing and border fabrics are so pretty! I'm sorry Mrs. Pfaff is in the shop for such a long time. Hope you have a backup machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'll be piecing on my treadle as usual while Mrs. Pfaff is away, but I won't be doing any machine quilting without her. I'm giving some thought to investing in another Pfaff, but it's a serious decision.

      Delete
  2. i LOVE your baby pic with the beater... now that's an adorable face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LA! I think so, of course, but I'm his grandma.

      Delete
  3. What a darling quilt top, Sylvia, but I'm SEW sorry to hear about Mrs. Pfaff!!! :o((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I think every quilter knows the pain of waiting for a machine to be repaired. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Perhaps you need a backup machine so when one is getting its spa treatment, you can still get some piecing done. Lately I'm just not sewing, but have lots cut ready for that inspiration to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting out quilts ahead is a great idea, I should do that! I always piece on my treadle, so I can keep on with that, but I'm going to get even farther ahead of myself.

      Delete
  5. That 9 patch is just so cheery and happy!!
    And licking the beaters!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!