Saturday, June 11, 2022

Sailboats, Dinosaurs, and Flea Market Finds

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Now that Hands 2 Help is done for another year, I'm getting back to other projects.

Here's what I started with, a little quilt top.  It was made by Mary G., a nice lady who worked in a local post office.  When she passed away, her heirs contacted our quilt group and donated lots of fabric and unfinished objects.  This was one of those UFOs.

The top originally was long and narrow.  I had a border fabric in mind, but didn't have enough of it for a larger quilt.  So I took off one row of sailboats.

Don't worry, I didn't toss them!  I put them on the back, along with a sailboat print.

There was just enough of the wavy blue fabric to go on the border.  The binding is a solid navy blue scrap.  Can you see the ocean creatures and plants in the black print?  Mary G. had a good idea there.  And she even staggered the blocks, like I've been doing lately.  I'm sorry I didn't get to know her.

For quilting, I chose these curvy lines, like the wind blowing the sails or the waves in the water.  I used a stencil and a purple disappearing marker, which washed right out.  

So, lots of dark blue in this little quilt for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  I also got my 16 patch blocks done in dark blue.

I think this print looks like gumballs.

This one is like a rainbow brick wall.

Here's some Thomas the Tank Engine print.

And numbers.  Why is it if I only have a little scrap of something it becomes my favorite?

In other news, dinosaurs!

Dino skeletons invade the library lobby!  My little guys wore their dino shirts, and posed with their dino pals.  My Little Buddy made sure to tell me this tall one was a baryonyx.  He's going to be a first grader in the fall, so he knows these things.  Our Little Guy liked the dinosaurs, but really loved getting more train books.  We're all signed up for summer reading.

Hubby and I went to a flea market on Memorial Day weekend, and I got this little group of fabrics, all good prices.  There are 3 yards of the dog fabric, I just have to think of something good to do with it.  (Any ideas?) We also got some toys for the kids and more track for the toy trains.

I just couldn't resist stopping to look at this pretty treadle.  It's a Singer 66, with the decals collectors call Red Eye.  A very useful treadle, by the way, since it takes modern needles and you can still find bobbins for it sometimes in the chain fabric stores.  

This tag on the machine cabinet caught my eye.  The M.P.S. is probably Milwaukee Public Schools.  The machine dates to 1920.  I'm guessing it was used to teach sewing, either to high school students or adults in the Extension Dept.  Not much wear on the decals!  As electricity was coming in, treadles were going out of favor, so it may not have gotten much use.  Wonder where it's been all this time.   While looking at it, I met another sewing machine enthusiast who also uses her treadle.

And that's what I'm going to do today, use my treadle to stitch up some more blocks and tops.  Right after I get back from the Farmers Market.  And there will definitely be some time to read quilt blogs!  I am so grateful to the bloggers and to the gracious ladies who provide the link ups. Many thanks!

And thanks to you for reading this!

Sincerely,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 


 














20 comments:

  1. Mary certanly would be so very proud. You made a beautiful quilt with her top. And the curving lines quilting are just perfect.
    Great fabrics found. I don't understand it the Singer 66 came home with you or not...
    Have a great weekend, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivani! Oops, I wasn't very clear, was I? I didn't buy the treadle, just patted it a little and took the photos. I hope it will find a good home with someone else.

      Delete
  2. Awesome sailboat quilt. I'm sure Mary G. is happy with the end result even if it's not what she had in mind. You did a great job! Love the backing too. Those boys could not be happier. Look at those faces. Precious! One day, you and I need to talk so I can get my treadle back in working condition. Love the one you bought. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! As it turns out, I didn't buy the machine, although I was definitely tempted! I do have a *few* already. BTW, here's a link to some information on getting treadles working. This group helped me a lot when I was getting started. https://www.treadleon.net/ Under fixing sewing machines, there are detailed instructions written by people who know what they're talking about.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Sylvia, for the link. I just received another treadle today. I'm hoping over to that website. ;^)

      Delete
  3. I have a singer 66 red eye! (mine 1911) mine isn't as perfect looking as this one is and mine was converted to electric - sadly it isn't working right now - when I first got it I figured out how to use it, thread it etc then it just quit!! Love that the kids are in the reader program for summer - I'm helping my daughter occasionally with that - she is the children's librarian and they are doing dinosaurs stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I piece all my quilts on a Singer 66, mine has the Egyptian decals. It's a workhorse, even after 113 years, great machine. Libraries are wonderful for all of us, especially kids! My little guys look forward to library day, and we read the books all week.

      Delete
  4. How lovely that your quilt group is doing good deeds with Mary's UFOs, its always so nice when a quilters stash can be recycled and reused like that. Wow, dinosaurs in the library, of course your little grandson knows their names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! I hope when my time comes my own UFOs and stash can be used like Mary's. I of course have no hope of finishing it all up before then!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love the Sailing boat quilt! Staggering the blocks is a great idea - must remember that. You finished Mary’s quilt off beautifully, will you show it to her family? Love your bright, eye catching RSC blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! What a nice idea, letting Mary's family know what happened to her quilts. I'll ask the person who coordinated with the family if we can send them photos, as I don't think they live around here.

      Delete
  6. Dear Sylvia, I thought I wrote you a comment yesterday, but I don't see it here. If I already did, you can just delete one of them! I love the sailboat quilt, and I think your friend would be so pleased with how it turned out. How fun to have dinosaurs at the library - so perfect for your little buddies! Great fabric finds at the flea market, too. Maybe that dog print could become a backing for a child's quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Wonder what happened to your first comment? No idea, Google is weird. Thanks for the kind words about the sail boat quilt. I like the idea of using the dog print for a backing. Maybe I could find a cute dog pattern for the front? Lots of kids love dogs (and so do I!).

      Delete
  7. I just love that treadle sewing machine. My grandmother had one and my cousin got it. She told me I could have it but I'd have to come get it. I live in the St. Louis area and she lives in Binghamton, NY area. Then you could teach me how to use it! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie! Good luck getting your grandmother's treadle home, that's a long haul. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for You Tube videos. (Isn't it amazing? There are You Tube videos for everything!) I used to demonstrate sewing on a treadle at a quilt museum, and I taught quite a few kids to treadle. The kids took to it much faster than the adults!

      Delete
  8. Cute little boat blocks. I do not think I have ever seen that design. You sure made a cute quilt out of them. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! Yeah, this is not the usual sailboat block. I'm going to graph it for future reference. Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. what a sweet way to finish the sailboat quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful post, full of so many good things. I love your reworking of the sailboat quilt. Just the fact that Mary’s things will be used for good causes warms the heart! I’ve always loved the Singer Red Eye and that one is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute sailboats and lovely 16-patch blocks. But posing with dinosaurs with adorable dino shirts is the best part of this post!!! Oh those smiles melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!