Saturday, June 18, 2022

Stash Enhancement Experience, Rummage Sale Style

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

First things first--a little progress on one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  I got the dark blue Razzle Dazzle row sewn last weekend.  And that was just about all the sewing I managed to do this crazy week.

Lots of old familiar prints are here!  The dinosaurs are in just about every quilt I've made in the last two years.

There's a little more variety in the light prints, thanks to the basket of fabulous scraps the ladies at the quilt group gave me.

Are you wondering what was behind the Razzle Dazzle row on the kitchen table?

This is just about HALF of the fabric I piled into my cart at the annual rummage sale put on by the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts.  I separated them out by color after I got home on Thursday.

Here's the other half.  I got lots of larger pieces for borders, some stuff for backing, and mostly brights for piecing, with some reproduction 1930s and 1880s thrown in, and even a few flannel scraps.  Woo hoo!  I'm busy running it all through the washer and dryer this morning.

I also bought this box for $2.  They call these "mystery boxes" because you can't look inside before you buy it.  Kind of like a grab bag.  The boxes are full of fabric.  I chose this one that says Mixed Prints on it.  

The ladies working at the sale were really trying to get us to buy these boxes.  I love the museum, and I haven't been able to volunteer in recent years, so I wanted to help out.  And I figured if I got ANYTHING useful out of it, I'd be coming out ahead.  

So what was in the box?  I'll show this in 3 parts.

First, some floral prints and stripes in quilting cotton.  Even though these are older fabrics, they will still be good for charity quilts.  Each piece was at least a yard long.  This batch total was just over 24 yards.

Next, Christmas prints!  Over 15 yards, plus scraps.  Most are good quality cottons also.  And Christmas never goes out of style, does it?

Lastly, here's this stack of heavier weight fabrics and others that are not really suitable for quilting.  The white thing is a polyester mesh tree skirt.  I kept the red and green denim pieces for possibly making more grocery bags, and put the rest in the Going to Goodwill box.  This batch was 14 yards all together.

All told, the mystery box held over 54 yards of fabric!  Not bad for $2, even if I do have to take some to Goodwill.  It does mean I'm going to be doing even more fabric washing this weekend, though.

In other news, we had some company on Friday!

Our oldest daughter and her kids, Miss E and Mr. H were here!  Our daughter brought a slip and slide and another sprinkler kind of thing, and we all spent the day outside.  First Grade Buddy and Miss E played together happily.

Mr. H was very kind to our Little Guy, who was kind of scared of all the water fun.

[Big Buddy, our high school grandson, declined to be photographed.] 

After such a great day, is it any wonder I fell asleep on the couch after supper? 

Have a wonderful week!  I hope you have time to do all the things you love to do.

Thanks for reading!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Let's go to the linky parties, and see all the great eye candy!

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 













26 comments:

  1. It was a GOOD kind of tired after all that grandkid fun! You made some great purchases at that rummage sale. Lots of awesome new projects will come about from those purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara! I love this sale, it's a win for everybody. People donate their unwanted stuff, I get to take it home, and the museum gets much needed funds!

      Delete
  2. WOW 54 yards for just $2 is amazing!!
    Sounds the grandkids had fun together.
    Oh yes, the dark blue Razzle Dazzle row looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivani! Not many more rows to go now! I'm so lucky all our grandkids live near us and we can get together again.

      Delete
  3. It looks to me like you had an amazing week, Sylvia! A little sewing, a bunch of fabric deals, and some grandkid time - all good! The box for $2 from the museum sounds wonderful. I'll enjoy seeing you use all those fun fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fabric haul, Sylvia!! Our guild's Silent Auction is coming up on Monday. I need to make a list of what NOT to buy! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Joyful! I was making a mental list of what I "needed" on the way to the sale--red, purple, green, lights, etc--and finally realized I wasn't leaving any colors out! Good luck at the auction!

      Delete
  5. You certainly got a bargain box at $2. Looks like those grandkids are having fun together. I can understand the eldest not wanting his photo taken, after all, I'm sure he's all grown up now, or near enough, in his view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! Our big buddy will be 17 next month, and he's sure he's a grownup. (I'm not!) He does have a job and a girlfriend, but he's still a kid to me.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely wonderful fabrics from the rummage sale. You scored big time and I loved seeing it all. What is it about looking at fabric is so enjoyable for us all! Wonderful time with family too. I have an 8 year old sleeping over today. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess, I even enjoy washing, drying, and folding fabric-- not regular laundry, just fabric!. Hope you had lots of fun with your young person.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a fun week, Sylvia, with a little bit of everything you love! I enjoyed seeing the close-ups of your fun novelty prints in the Razzle Dazzle row. The fabric from the sale looks wonderful - and at $2 for that box, even if you give some of it away, you're still ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Yes, a wonderful wild fun week. Maybe next week will be quieter? I might get more sewing done if that happens!

      Delete
  8. What a great way to sell stuff . . .mystery boxes! You did well! I like your razzle dazzle blocks. I'd have been lucky to have made it through dinner with a fun day in the books like that one! What a great memory!--Terry K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terry! That grab bag idea works every time. I could hardly wait to get to the car and open that mystery box. And then the day after the sale I got to see ALL FIVE of my grandchildren. What a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. I love what you do with prints. That Razzle Dazzle quilt will be so awesome! You got a win win situation with that box. Gosh! I wish I could buy a box for $2! You picked some pretty things in your other purchases too. Enjoy playing with all the new fabrics after the washing is done. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I only need 3 more rows to finish the Razzle Dazzle quilt--purple, orange, and light blue. Luckily, I bought some of each at the sale!

      Delete
  10. That is quite a haul! Sew much fun looking at and playing with these new to you fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really scored for all that fabric for $2.00. Enjoy using your "new" fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful haul for only 2 bucks! You're set for quite a while now, for sure. The grandkids are sure cute. I remember slip n slides. Didn't know they were still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! I might be too old to play on a slip n slide, but I love watching the kids and hearing them giggle!

      Delete
  13. Love your razzle Dazzle row!
    and Holee cow - what great and fun fabrics!! I know you will put them to good use!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I might need another 50 years or so to use all of it up!

      Delete
  14. Wow! What a great haul from that sale. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!