Saturday, June 4, 2022

Lions and Monkeys and Bats, Oh My!

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Hanging on my black raspberry trellis today is this little quilt, made for a Scavenger Hunt challenge at my quilt group.

We had a list of 33 items, and had to choose at least 10 of them to go in the challenge quilt.  With the way I feel about novelty prints, this was my favorite challenge ever!  I made 30 stars, and each center checked off one of the boxes.

Most people are not as crazy about novelty prints as I am, and some members hardly had any, so we brought scraps and exchanged them.  Even I was happy to get some more variety.  These three blocks, the bat, the pens/markers, and the red monkey, were all from other people's scraps.  (Thanks, Nancy and Colleen!)

Here's the lion block, it even says lion!  I've had this fabric for so long I can't even remember where it came from.  As you can see, I chose a staggered set, and simple outline quilting.  The border is a green frog print.

The back is a print with hearts, with a strip of these cheeky frogs in the middle to make it wide enough.  They're waving at you!

All of the quilts from our scavenger hunt challenge were made no bigger than 42 in. x 52 in., and are being donated to a charity for children.  We had 16 quilts entered, from a group of around 40 active members!  I love belonging to such a generous caring guild.

Have you started on your dark/bright blue Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks yet?  I'll be you have, can't wait to see what everyone is doing.

I started with these easy split nine patch blocks.  Not sure how I'm going to set them yet, there are so many possibilities.

I didn't have to cut any blue squares, since I already had a bunch in the box.  

Happy cows, and dinosaurs, turtles, whales, a watering can, and stars.

More random blues and lights.  This might be why I don't have very much green--I have a TON of blue!  (Note to self, buy more green.)

Wish I had yardage of the light dinosaur fabric!  These scraps are great.  My kindergarten buddy knows all those dino names.

Speaking of my kindergarten buddy, he had his graduation this week, and is now officially ready for first grade.

Is this the scariest graduation picture you've seen this season?  He's making such a goofy face!  He and his classmates were very excited.  We were treated to a slide show and lots of singing.   He had such a good year at school, and we're very proud of him.  BTW, they made their caps from construction paper, and the tassels are yarn.

Yesterday I cut the rhubarb, and actually found canning lids at the store.  So today I'll be putting up a few pints, and maybe even baking a pie.  Don't tell my hubby, though, he'll be standing next to the stove waiting for it.

Have a lovely, quilty week!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy 

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 











23 comments:

  1. great quilts and very cute little boy - pretty excited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I'm sure their teacher had to lie down and rest when she went home. There were 25 of them!

      Delete
  2. I have a ton of blues too. Try as I might, the pike never seems to go down. Great blue scrappy blocks. Love your challenge quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last comment from Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail! I keep using blue scraps, too, with no effect on the amount. I could do 3 months of blue, light, medium, and dark!

      Delete
  4. I love your star quilt, Sylvia! I bet it was as fun to make as it is to look at. Inspired by you, I've been enjoying adding novelty prints to my stash a little at a time. It's so fun to add them in to just about any quilt! That kindergarten buddy of yours is such a cutie - glad he had a good school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I always have fun making novelty fabric quilts! It's like little surprises in the blocks.

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking he can smell that pie baking and is waiting at the oven for it to come out! So fun with the novelty prints and I spy a few that I have in my stash - dinosaurs and dots. Love that challenge you had with your guild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fearless leaders are very good at setting challenges for us! I loved seeing all the quilts everybody made. No two were alike!

      Delete
  6. So many fun novelty prints, both in the stars and in your blue blocks. What fun it must be to dig into your scrap bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it really is! I get distracted when hunting for certain colors or prints. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful little star quilt, another great way to use novelty prints. You come up with the best ideas! Congratulations to your little graduate, he looks so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I'm looking forward to having him here more now that school is out for summer.

      Delete
  8. Love this quilt. Congratulations on a splendid finish. The split 9-patch blocks are fun too. What a sweet child, what a big grin. Too cute. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! He's very happy and silly. The next photo I took (that I didn't show) was him sticking his tongue out!

      Delete
  9. What a fun quilt finish, Sylvia, and congratulations to Kindergarten Buddy's promotion to first grade!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sylvia, a delightful post. How generous you and your guild are to donate wonderful quilts, like yours. I'm sure some child will adore it. Meanwhile, look at that little graduate! Adorable. Yes, it is rhubarb season...we love it with some strawberries thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn! I love strawberries with rhubarb, too, but hubby is a purist.

      Delete
  11. What a super fun challenge!! and you rocked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the most wonderful collection of kiddie prints ever!!!!! The quilt is so happy & fun & entertaining! Kudos to the creative teacher who thought of making those caps!!!! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do love novelty fabrics. I noticed them in many of your blue blocks, too. The recipient of your quilt will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!