Saturday, December 2, 2023

Passing on the Comfort

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's a hazy shade of winter outside this morning, so indoor photos will have to do.  Here's my latest Rainbow Scrap Quilt finish, the first of the Uneven Nine Patch baby-sized quilts. 

Snicklefritz the cat is really getting the hang of posing on a quilt.  I think he likes this one.  Maybe because another name for this pattern is Puss in the Corner?

Here's a closeup.  The blocks alternate between light centers (like the Sneetches) and dark centers (like the stars and comets).  Each block is made from two light charm squares and two dark charm squares.  (Click HERE for some quick instructions.)  Of course there had to be a Green Bay Packers block!

This red block is my favorite: hands, and hearts, and love.

I'm sure you can't see from this photo, but the white fabric has a subtle butterfly print.  I bought several yards of this print for a different quilt, but changed my mind.  A strip of the blue butterfly print from the border makes the back wide enough.
 

Sometimes I wonder what happens to the quilts I donate.  I always hope they'll be loved and used, but you never know.   Just as I was thinking this, my friend Debbie C. sent me this photo.


It's a detail of a quilt found in Germany.  The tag on the back identifies it as being made by the Canadian Red Cross.  Hundreds (thousands?) of quilts were made in North America and shipped to Europe as World War II was ending, to help refugees and people recovering from the war.

This is the back, and the hand stitched label.

Here's what it looks like close up.  Great pattern, right?  And hand quilted.

The quilt was published in the Suture and Selvedge blog, which focuses on textiles and women's lives.  (Click HERE for the article). 

That started me thinking about a book I had read about similar quilts found in Europe, so I hunted it down on my quilt bookshelves.  It's called Passing on the Comfort:  The War, The Quilts, and the Women Who Made a Difference.  The authors are An Keuning-Tichelaar and Lynn Kaplanian-Buller.

Once I found it, I realized I had only skimmed it before, looked at the quilts, and moved on.  I am very disappointed in myself for doing that!  This week, I actually read it, and was very moved by An's narrative of living through the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands.  As a nurse and a Mennonite pastor's wife, she took in people fleeing and/or hiding, including Jewish children and adults, and did very dangerous jobs for the Resistance.

The quilts in the book were made mostly in the U.S. and Canada, and shipped out through the Mennonite Central Committee.  Lynn Kaplanian came along in the 1980s, saw the remaining quilts in a house she stayed in, and arranged for them to be exhibited.  She encouraged An to write down her memories.  

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in World War II history.

In other news, the GSAFE Quilt and Fiber Art Auction to benefit LGBT youth finishes on this Monday, Dec. 4.  I donated three of my quilts, including the crayon quilt above (but not my dog!).  Originally I had planned to give these quilts to other places, but I am finding that they are doing okay in the auction, even though they are miles away from perfect.  It makes me wonder.  Will I do more good by auctioning/selling quilts than by donating them directly?  Maybe I should set aside a few "special" quilts for these occasions? Something to think about.

Have a wonderful week, and happy quilting!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 


14 comments:

  1. What a nice picture of the whole family, Sylvia! Your happy quilts are always so fun to see. I really like the Puss in a Corner quilt with its cute prints. That sounds like a very interesting book, and I'm also so glad that your quilts in the auction are bringing in money for that organization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Hubby takes a photo of all of us every year at Thanksgiving. Everybody gripes a little, but we all love having a reminder of good times together.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your RSC finish! When I saw the Green Bay Packers square I had to take a look at your profile. I knew you had to live in Wisconsin! I love the story about the quilt made by the Canadian Red Cross. I wish they put a date on the label! So many women making comfort quilts during the war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! The Packers are pretty important around here! You're right, dates on quilts are so helpful to those of who love quilt history. I should remember to put dates on my quilts!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finishing the baby quilt. I love the antique quilt. It is a great pattern, one that I'll have to copy. I'll have to hunt down that book too. It sounds so interesting. Lovely family photo. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Chantal! I'm thinking about copying that quilt too!

      Delete
  4. Great finish for your Uneven Nine Patch quilt. I always enjoy looking at the interesting novelty fabrics you use and the great combinations of colour you use. Pleased your Thanksgiving celebration went so well, always good to get the family together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm so lucky to have family living closeby.

      Delete
  5. I love the Uneven Nine Patch. So cute!! It's a hazy shade of winter here in eastern SD too - very foggy this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I've had that Simon and Garfunkel song in my head all weekend. Hope we get some sunshine this week.

      Delete
  6. Great finish using uneven nine patch blocks. I also placed the book on my reading list. It sounds like an interesting read! Having family together at any time makes for special time. I'm glad you had special time together!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I'm so glad An wrote down her experiences. The lives of regular people during extraordinary events like war and occupation are just as important as battles and campaigns.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful RSC quilt!!! and kittie is cute!!
    That history book sounds pretty good - I may have to check it out!!
    and the crayon quilt - too cute - hope it helps out a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful RSC finish!!! Doubles as an I-spy quilt, too! I enjoyed your family photo, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!