Saturday, January 27, 2024

Last Call for Green

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Hard to believe, but it's the last Saturday in January, the last green week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  No finishes this week, but lots of green cutting and sewing, and I spent some time organizing as well.

It's not really an RSC quilt, but here's a green and beige project I'm working on for the charity committee at my guild.  I started with a stack of 5 in. squares cut by the charity committee ladies, and a suggestion to make a Split 4 Patch.  It's a Disappearing 4 Patch variation.  I've been following this YouTube video by Teresa Downunder.

There are lots of ways to put the blocks together.  I've only got 20 or so done so far, but I'm using them for leaders and enders until I get further along.  I always like to try fun new methods for making blocks.

I always have to have at least one RSC project that shows off my novelty prints.  This one is often called Stretched Star, and is very simple, just white 2.5 in. cut squares as flippy corners on 5 in. cut squares.  Which doesn't explain why I messed up the tiger block!  I found that square after the other blocks were done, and tried to do it quickly without looking at the others.  Oops!  The corners underneath were already cut off when I realized I goofed, so poor tiger will have to go sideways.

Oh dear, he does not look happy lol.

I hate to say this is my last RSC project for the year, that's tempting fate, but at least it's the last one this month.  I'm making snowball blocks (seems appropriate with this weather) with 5 in. squares in my reproduction scraps.  Repro quilts were my first love back in the day, and I still have loads of fabric.  I found a pattern online, but when I made the sample (first on the left) it looked nothing like I wanted.  The squares for the corners were cut 2.5 in., so I cut the next try from 2 in. squares (the one in the middle).  Still not it.  Lastly, I cut the corners 1.5 in. square, and that was what I was looking for, more of an octagon shape.

Half the centers will be dark and half will be light.  I will put them together like this.  I'm planning to sew them into sets of 4 to make it easier to manage, as it will be a larger quilt.  (Darn those flippy corners!  They keep wanting to flip up even after being pressed!)

These light ones have green corners, and some of the prints have tiny green flowers or green lines.  Just keeping with the theme!

The ones with green centers aren't done yet, here's what I have so far.

My major inspiration for reproduction quilts has always been vintage/antique quilts themselves.  I saw this antique late 19th century quilt at the Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts (Cedarburg, Wisconsin) last March, with my friend Joey, and it stayed on my mind.  The corners are tiny red squares, and we could see they were appliqued down by hand.  I love the way it looks, but that's just too much work for me.  So flippy corners it is.   

I was also inspired by Vridian's Blog (click HERE), her early 1800s blocks are gorgeous! 

One more "quilt" to show:

My grandson "Buddy" made this at school yesterday from Perler beads.  He gave it to me on the way home, and said it looks like the "blankets" I make, and I could put it in my sewing room.  It's a tiny treasure, and I love it.  I might have teared up when he wasn't looking.

The snow is slowly melting, but it isn't gone yet.  Recess at school has been great fun for the kids, especially Buddy.

Our Little Guy has been building train tracks all through the living room.  He's quite the engineer.  Behind him, Snicklefritz the cat likes to look out at the snow.

And on the windowsill is this gorgeous Amaryllis my mom sent us for Christmas!  Flowers blooming in winter seem like a miracle, even indoors.  Thanks, Mom!

So how has your week been?  I hope you're staying warm if it's winter where you live.  And to everyone, have a great week, with at least some time for the things you love to do.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 











9 comments:

  1. That disappearing 4 patch makes a great design, Sylvia! Love your Stretched Star project, too. I often stress out over directional fabric being oriented the wrong way in a block, until I remember that quilts are looked at from all directions! Have fun with those snowball blocks and enjoy that beautiful amaryllis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! You're right, I shouldn't stress out about the tiger, he's still cute. And the Amaryllis is the right color for next month's RSC! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. I dod enjoy checking out your novelty fabrics. Each one more cheerful and fanciful than the next. Yes, grandchildren have a way of making you feel noticed and appreciated. Always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwynedd! I am so lucky I get to see my grandchildren often.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of stretched stars, nice and simple but very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right - flowers blooming in winter are a miracle and so sweet. Love those 5" novelty squares with the corners. Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your stretched stars and disappearing four patch blocks. Your perler bead quilt is extra special.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigers are supposed to look menacing, right?!!! Great block for your novelty prints!! Buddy's mini quilt is cute as a button!!! That'll make a happy addition to your studio!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!