Saturday, February 3, 2024

Bricks and Blocks and Frankenbatting

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for visiting!

It's another gray Saturday today, just normal for winter here, so I apologize in advance for the photos.  At least the snow is finally melting!  I finished this Bricks quilt this week, made from 2023 Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.

The blocks were fun to make all last year, and great for any kind of prints, including novelties.  I have two more bricks tops ready to quilt.  I was inspired to make these by Sara at the My Sewing Room blog.  (Click HERE.)  Thanks, Sara!

This is the backing, lots and lots of colorful dots.  The binding is more of my solid color "big scraps" that I'm using up.

Here's the border, a puzzle print.  I like using multicolor fabrics on the borders of bright scrap quilts.

Plus, we really love jigsaw puzzles around here!  I like to have one in progress on the kitchen table.  Hubby and I can work on it when time permits, and Buddy is pretty good at putting pieces in.  He has sharp eyes.

We finished this one after Christmas.  Hubby gets absolutely obsessed.

I loved getting out the red scraps for February's RSC color of the month.  They're bright even on a dull day.  So far I'm only making 4 of these Potato Chip blocks in each color, but more could happen.

The 3-D Flying Geese are so fast to make.  Still not sure what I'm doing with them.

I've been trying to straighten up my quilt supplies storage in the basement.  I'm basically a student of the Sloth method of tidying up (very, very slowly), but some stuff is glaringly obvious and needs help right now.

Like this pile of batting scraps.

I'm a long time quilter and kind of a miser about quilt stuff, and I've saved batting scraps of all sizes for years.  It's finally started breaking out of the bin and laundry basket, and I have to pass it every time I go down there.  I was inspired to finally deal with it by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, who tackled her own batting scrap oversupply (Click HERE).  

There were all sorts of strips in this mess.  I kept the ones that were at least 8 in. wide, and tossed the short skinny tangled ones.  I will use these wider strips for quilt-as-you-go projects.  And now I can easily find them.

All the larger scraps got measured and tagged while I watched a Miss Marple episode on PBS.  The next step is putting the large scraps together to make batts big enough for baby quilts, since that's what I mostly make.  We call this "Frankenbatting".

I'm putting the batting pieces together with this Batting Seam Tape, which is amazingly easy.  You just butt the edges together and iron it on.  If/when I run out of it, I can overcast the batting pieces together by hand or machine.  The seams need to be flat, of course, so there's no bump in the quilt.

I have two batts done already, and it's making me feel so thrifty!  It's not like I desperately need this batting, as I have a whole roll of lovely soft poly, but I don't see any sense in either throwing it away or storing it forever.

In other news, our youngest grandsons had the day off school yesterday (conferences), so we went to the mall.  We took these pictures at a display in the book store.

Little Guy was not quite tall enough!  Walking through the mall was good exercise for us, and the boys got to go to the Lego Store and to look around at Build A Bear (just in case they want to go there for their birthdays).  

Snicklefritz the cat is still on the job, supervising my work and testing tops and pieces for softness and nap-ability.  What would I do without him?

And what would I do without you?  Thanks for reading this, and have a lovely week!

Cheers, 

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap













18 comments:

  1. Lovely finish, Sylvia. Love all those novelty prints. That's a lot of batting scraps. I save mine too but I zigzag stitch them together with the machine so they really look like Frankenstein, lol. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Chantal! Stitches like Frankenstein, hilarious! When I run out of tape I'm going to try zigzagging.

      Delete
  2. Your Bricks quilt is really fun, Sylvia - so perfect for the novelty prints! I like your red and white potato chip blocks, too. Are you making those out of 2.5 x 4.5 inch pieces? That's a big job to seam together all the batting scraps - I like that iron-on tape, too. I need to get some more of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The pieces in the Potato Chip block are cut 2 in. x 3.5 in. The block finishes at 9 in.

      Delete
  3. Great use of the batting pieces. I do this too but zigzag on the sewing machine. Nice little quilt finish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I may try that when I run out of the iron-on tape.

      Delete
  4. I love your Bricks quilt. Thanks for mentioning me - I get inspiration every week from the quilters whose blogs I read. The Potato Chip blocks and 3-D Geese look really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I'm so glad a friend introduced me to quilt blogs many years ago. It's so much fun to see what other quilters are making.

      Delete
  5. Love those potato chip blocks and I’ve always been a fan of frankenbatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Char! I am late to the frankenbatting party, but happy to be here!

      Delete
  6. Another fun quilt finish, Sylvia. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! When I'm stuck in the middle of a project, I try to remember how great it feels to finish one!

      Delete
  7. I can identify with your batting scraps mounds, I have gobs that need to be attended to. Every once in a while I do a few but they seem to multiply faster than I have time to tame the pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's my problem too! Stuff keeps piling up! Once in a while I tackle something like this, and it makes me feel good just to organize it.

      Delete
  8. Batting scraps -- a pain but do we really want to just throw them away. Luckily I have a friend who takes the little scraps and her friend makes dog beds with them. I also make frankenbats but I generally try to use my leftovers sooner rather than let them pile up. (What, me handle a potential mess before it becomes one? Unheard of!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooner than later, that's what I SHOULD do lol. Good for you for not letting them pile up.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!