Friday, March 15, 2024

Bricks and Bananas

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Finally, this quilt is out of the problem pile and done!  I pieced it at least a month ago from bricks blocks I made as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year.  Then I layered it, basted it, and started quilting.  Turns out my basting was very very bad, causing tucks and other unspeakable faults.  So I pulled out the quilting I had done, took the quilt apart (sigh), and started over.  You gotta do what you gotta do.

Check out the border--it's bananas.  Literally, a print of bananas on blue that looks like denim.  I'm so happy I still have some of this fun fabric.
 

This is the 4th and last Bricks quilt, and at 48 in. x 54 in. it's the biggest one.  I'm hoping to donate it to Quilts Beyond Borders.  I think I followed all the rules, but I'll check with them to make sure.

It was fun making these blocks last year.  Especially since each one only has two seams!  I'm going to keep this pattern in mind to use again.  The free pattern is called Forest Bricks, and comes from Marysquilts.com, click HERE.

The back is this red plaid from the stash, and the binding is the same fabric I used for the dark blue in last week's Lightning Streak quilt. 

There are a few more projects in the problem pile, but at least one is now problem-free.


 The purple 3-D flying geese are done.  I'm realizing how small they are (finishing at 2 in. x 4 in.) and how many I'll need for finished quilts, so I'm making lots of them.  These are easy too, just one seam.

More cats!  I keep finding more cute fabric to make into pieced cats.  I am inspired by some stuffed cats my grandkids have, called Cats Vs. Pickles (Click HERE to go to their web page.)  These cute little cats are all different colors and are soft and snuggly.  Even the pickles are cute.

When I bought the fabric for the green cat above, I thought the print was shamrocks, which would be fun for St. Patrick's Day on Sunday.  (In my defense, I snagged it out of a sale bin at a crowded quilt show and didn't get a good look.  I needed green anyway.)  It's still a cute cat, and I'll add it in with January's other green kitties.

Our guild's block of the month is this Pineapple Block, seen here made up in my yellow scraps.  I wonder what a whole quilt of pineapples would look like?  Hmm, or maybe lots of other tropical blocks?

Here's Buddy, putting a real pineapple on his head because the Minions do (?)  Or just because he's being goofy.  We all love fresh pineapple, and it was on sale this week at the grocery, so why not.
 

These little guys have just discovered video games, oh dear.  Their dad and uncle play online, and they get to watch.  Here they're pretending to be heroic characters.  Buddy and Little Guy have also been playing Mario Cart on the weekends.  They can hardly wait for Friday.

We've had some warm days this week.  It's a joy to go to the park with my Little Guy.  He was pretending to be a super hero, and told me we needed to "vacuum the city".  It took me a minute to get it.  "Do you mean evacuate the city?"  He nodded.  We got all the pretend people out, and he learned a new word.

I hope you are all having fun, and NOT vacuuming cities, unless you want to of course.  I'm wishing you a Happy St. Patrick's Day on Sunday, and a wonderful week ahead.

Thanks for reading!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at SoScrappy


 








17 comments:

  1. Oh, that's cute, Sylvia! I definitely hope that I never have to vacuum the city. It's enough to just have to vacuum the house! I love your bricks quilt - all the fun prints and that banana border, too. So sorry it caused you trouble, but it looks great now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Ripping is the price I pay for sloppy basting. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  2. Love the forest bricks pattern and the cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids say the darnedest things but it is SO cute! Congrats on persevering on this cute quilt. I have one that is all pinned and the back is already puckering. I'm happy I've noticed it before the quilting started but I don't feel like removing those pins and start over. It's a big quilt! Sigh! One day. If the 3-D Flying Geese blocks are small, would it be better to use them in a stripy quilt? They could be the strip that separates the bigger blocks? Just thinking out loud here.
    Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chantal, I feel your pain! Thanks for the flying geese ideas. I still have no idea what I am doing with them.

      Delete
  4. That pineapple is adorable! Add the bananas to that and it has been a fruity week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single one of your blocks makes me want to run to my sewing room to make them. I've done a couple of the Brick quilts, and it's a good one. So quick and easy! You already inspired me to make the 3-D geese this year, although I'm making 2 sizes. And those kitty blocks are so adorable! I might have to find that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the quilt blogging community shares the inspiration back and forth! I started making the bricks blocks because I saw your quilt and it was so cute!

      Delete
    2. I knew I couldn't resist making those kitty blocks. I made 8 of them this afternoon, and know I'll be making more. Thanks for the continued inspiration!!!!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh so much goodness in this post!! I LOVE the banana fabrics - and it looks so great with the bricks. and the pineapple block! awesome. I am really starting to fall in love with flying geese!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! There is so much you can do with flying geese!

      Delete
  7. What a fun quilt, you have inspired me to try this pattern. Love the outing to the park, the adventures and all the creative possibilities with the pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on another completed quilt, Sylvia, and a wonderful collection of PURPLE scrappy blocks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!