Saturday, March 30, 2024

UFO sightings

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for visiting!

As I write this, it's a cold rainy morning outside, but nice and cozy inside.  I'm doing a little happy dance, because this UFO is finally a finished quilt.

Here's the block.  Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns lists it as #2165, The Twinkling Star, first published in Capper's Weekly, in a Nancy Cabot column.

As you can tell, the blocks are enormous!  They are 24 in. square, and there are only 6 of them in this twin sized quilt.

More than 30 years ago, I saw an antique quilt in this pattern in a friend's house.  When I asked her about it, she said it came from her husband's family and was made by someone she only knew as Mrs. Boyd.  Because I didn't yet know the name of the pattern, I've always called it "Mrs. Boyd's quilt". 

For years I wanted to make a quilt like it.  In 2009 I finally started work on it.  Yep, 15 years ago. My friend Debbie C. and I decided to each make one, but with larger pieces than the original.  I got the blocks done, but they languished awhile.  I could hardly believe how much fabric these giant blocks used!  Anyway, I finished the top, and hit the old "how do I quilt it" road block.  More languishing, sigh.

Fast forward to now.  I have been trying to straighten up my quilting stuff in the basement, even before we had a new furnace put in and everything got discombobulated.  Many of my older quilt tops are being donated for charity, but I have a special love for Mrs. Boyd and knew I'd never quilt her myself.  I asked my friend Joey to quilt her for me, and she did a beautiful job with her freehand Baptist Fan design.
 

Two weeks ago I got the finished quilt back from Joey, and I was over the moon about it.  In between family stuff and other obligations, I got the binding on this week.  I chose red, to set off the edge of the quilt, and because Debbie's version has lots of gorgeous red in it (and I'm jealous of how pretty it is!).

Finishing a quilt always gives me energy to tackle another one!  Good thing, too, because this happened at this month's quilt meeting.

Our quilt guild meets in a church.  Some of the church ladies asked us to finish some of their UFOs into quilts for charity.  I chose this one, a butterfly quilt.

These butterflies were huge, nearly 10 inches across.  They were probably cut in the late 1960s, early 1970s.  And they were poly cotton.  (As a self professed cotton snob, this was a bit off-putting.)  Also in the bag was about 3 yards of muslin (that was thankfully 100% cotton), and a handwritten design for a large quilt with alternate plain muslin blocks and a muslin ruffle.

I really like taking someone else's UFO and reworking it into a quilt.  It's a fun challenge.  First, I knew I would not be appliqueing these blocks.  Poly cotton is tough to applique, since it resists taking a crease, and it's not my favorite technique.  But I did want to honor the original quilter's intention.  

I'm going with pieced butterflies.  I did the purple ones first, for purple month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I'm cutting the large wings from the original butterflies, the background from the muslin, the black bodies from vintage scraps, and the rest from coordinating solids.

This pattern was a free one, which I call The Captain's Butterfly.  It was designed by "Captain" Richard Wightman of Treadleon.net, a website for people powered sewing machine users. I wrote about it in 2015, complete with a tutorial. (Click HERE).  It's an 8 in. finished block.  It does not seem to be on Treadleon any more.

The top two butterflies are made from the pieces in the bag.  The bottom one is made from vintage fabrics from my stash.  My plan is to use mostly the original pieces, and add in a few to make enough for a small/medium sized quilt.

 On to the projects that will hopefully NOT end up as UFOs, this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.

A week's worth of grocery receipts plus bits and pieces of purple makes these strips.   I've got an idea of what I might do with them, but we'll see.  They are fun to make.

New project!  These are fun to make, too.  I'm cutting hexagons and triangles from my reproduction scraps using the Accuquilt cutter.  Can you see the white star in the center?  When they go together in the quilt there will be lots of other colors, of course, and scrappy light "stars".

No set in seams makes these "blocks" easy and fun.  Now I have to go back and do green and red to catch up.

Speaking of fun, it was Spring Break this week for our little boys, so we took them to the Betty Brinn Children's Museum in Milwaukee.  The place was packed, but it was still a great day.  In the photo above they are driving a pretend truck.

I hope you are having a good week, whether working on old projects or new.  Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap










14 comments:

  1. I love mrs boyd's quilt and so glad it is finished for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! After all this time, I can hardly believe it's done!

      Delete
  2. Mrs. Boyd's quilt turned out beautifully, Sylvia! What great blocks - I really like the combination of the bright triangles and that plaid background fabric. I know it's a great feeling to get that finished! I like your idea for those big butterflies, too - that is a sweet way to use them up. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm enjoying making the butterfly blocks. Those old fabrics really take me back.

      Delete
  3. You can finally enjoy Mrs. Boyd's quilt. It's an amazing one with that. Katie Z made a quilt with this star a few years for the RSC and I've been in love with it since than. How big are your HST squares? It will give me an idea of what I need for the background fabric. Great idea for the butterfly dilemma. I've never seen the Captain butterfly block before but it sure is a cute one. I'm slowly putting a kit together with hexagons pieces to do the same pattern as yours. Mine will be an "I Spy" type of quilt and it won't be for this year. So, I will enjoy looking at yours grow. Taking of growing, those boys sure are changing. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chantal! The hsts are 2 in finished. Your I Spy quilt is a terrific idea for hexagons, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  4. Mrs. Boyd's quilt is a beautiful finish. How fun to enjoy it now. I too have a hexagon project started like yours. . .although, I have no plans to finish it anytime soon. (There are too many other projects in front of it!) Enjoy those boys. I miss being able to hang out with my grands. . .one is in England and the two that are close are of the age that there are activities after school and weekends.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I know what you mean, so many projects, so little time! I'm trying to enjoy the grand kids before they get too grown up. We're lucky to live close.

      Delete
  5. I've always pieced my "no set in seam" hexies by splitting each hexie in two. It works, but isn't conducive to using prints, especially fussy cut or bold prints. Love your method. You are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned! I saw this method in a book or online somewhere, wish I could remember where.

      Delete
  6. Wow - Mrs Boyd's quilt is stunning. Great job! And I really like your plan for those butterflies. That's a very clever way of recycling the original and making it even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! The butterfly blocks are fun and easy to piece. The finished quilt won't be queen sized with a ruffle though!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely quilt you finished. Mrs. Boyd's quilt will have a special place in your heart for a long time. Good of you to help finish some old projects. I've got at least two sitting around but haven't made any progress yet. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Wow, only two old projects?? Good for you!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!