Saturday, March 2, 2024

UFO Alert, and Purple Rainbow Kitties

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

This week I finished a UFO, used up 16 orphan blocks, and did some fancier (for me) quilting--all in the same little quilt! (I promise it's not crooked, the angle is just weird here, sorry!)

This is the block.  I made a lot of these using bright colored batik scraps I got at a quilt show many years ago.  I didn't have the vast stash of brights then that I have now, so everything possible just got thrown in.  And then I bought some more!  

Here's the back, leftover from another quilt.  I bound it in solid orange, just for fun.

The pattern comes from this book, Scrap-Basket Beauties, by Kim Brackett.  There are so many great quilts in here!  Kim Brackett is a genius.

This is the pattern, and I'm sure you can tell I changed it a little.  There are two kind of blocks in the pattern, an A block and a B block.  I used only the B blocks for my little quilt.

When I first saw it, the design reminded me of a Double Wedding Ring, with way less work.  Which was perfect, because I wanted to make a quilt for a wedding.  I got all the blocks done, but the wedding never happened.  (No tragedy or anything, they're still together, just not married.)  I could still have given them the quilt, but by now I had hit the roadblock of How Am I Going to Quilt This.

I always knew I wanted some fancier quilting where the blocks come together, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it.  I don't do free motion quilting (yet?), I quilt with a walking foot.  A large quilt with all these spaces just seemed daunting.  I put it away, and the years just kept flying by.

Two years ago, I dragged out the blocks and remodeled the setting to a twin size.  These blocks, plus a couple more, were left over from the remodel, and got made into a small top.  This week I finally pulled up my big girl pants and quilted the little top.  It wasn't easy, but not too horrible either.  So is there hope for the bigger quilt?  Well, maybe.

In other news, purple cats!  Purple is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  When I found out yesterday evening, I ran up to the sewing room and made these.  March will be a fun month.  Purple is my favorite color.

I had just finished making these green cats for January, so I'm caught up on Rainbow Kitties now.  BTW, the one in the lower left corner really is a light green, not aqua as I'm seeing on the computer monitor.

Last Tuesday was a wonderfully warm day (60 degrees F!).  Little Guy and I went to the playground and played in the backyard too.  And well, it did snow again on Wednesday, but only a little that has already melted off.  Maybe spring is coming early to Wisconsin?  I would love it, but I'm not going to count on it.

Guess who has a birthday!  It's Little Guy!  He'll be 4 years old this week.  We're going to his party today, so I better get a move on.  I've got presents to wrap and cupcakes to frost.  There may even be sprinkles.

Have a wonderful week, no matter what the weather is.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 

.




13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Little Guy! Getting outside in this beautiful weather has made February a much more pleasant month than it could have been. Your finished quilt is beautiful, Sylvia! I was surprised when you showed the block that the whole thing is made from. Love those purple kitties, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! March is coming in like a lamb this year. Weird, but I like it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome scrap quilt finish, Sylvia, and you solved my mystery of who might have already gotten a start on their PURPLE scraps!! There's always an overachiever in the bunch. :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I was working on the green cats when I saw the post, so it wasn't a big deal to start purple. I'm cutting all the pieces from 3.5 in strips. I was hoping for purple, it's my favorite!

      Delete
  3. Lovely UFO finish. Well done for tackling the quilting - it’s great. Love the cats. Happy 4th birthday to your little grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! It feels good to have it off the UFO list!

      Delete
  4. Lovely quilting!! The kitties are just so cute--nice works hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I am getting obsessed with these kitties!

      Delete
  5. Your FM machine quilting example looks terrific! I'm glad that you put on your big girl pants and went for it. Of course there is a bigger quilt in your future. . .you can do it!!! Happy birthday to little guy. . .don't you just wonder how the years could pass so quickly? I sure do wonder that with my grandkids!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry, but it's not free motion, I am still too scared to try it. All the quilting was done with the walking foot and turning the little quilt. Can't believe our Little Guy is 4. It's been a fast and fun 4 years.

      Delete
  6. The cat blocks are just the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? You already have your purple kitties done and found time to showcase them! I'm surer impressed. Love that block. Happy 4th to Little Guy. He will be wanting to be called Big Guy soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!