Saturday, December 19, 2020

Inch by Inch, Row by Row

 Welcomed to Treadlestitches!

How are you doing in this crazy busy season?  Before the Christmas tsunami hit, I got a good start on quilting the house blocks, my current quilt as you go project.  I made these as one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts for 2020.  I didn't know when I started how appropriate houses would be as a symbol of this year, when we spent more time at home than ever.

I'm working on a tutorial for the quilting, taking pictures of each step.  I hope to post that the first of the year.  My method combines ideas from lots of ways I've tried, with a couple of tricks of my own.

Meanwhile, there's shopping, wrapping, decorating, baking, etc.  I have had some good helpers.  Hubby and I finished up shopping for the grandkids, Little Buddy and Big Buddy were my Christmas ornament hanging team, and my older daughter and her kids made the delicious cookies above.  (There were more in there before Little Buddy had a snack!)

Last Sunday, we had a lovely socially distanced visit with our older daughter and our grandkids, Mr. H. and Miss E.  We took a walk in the park, and Bella the dog got to come, too.  (Bella was thrilled!)  With the virus so bad now and asthma in the family, we are being very careful.

Sometimes, you just have to get your sillies out!  It was Little Buddy's idea to get out all our silly hats one day after lunch.

Baby Buddy wasn't sure what the fuss was about, but he liked the tassel on this one.

Thursday morning this happened!  Little Buddy was so excited to give me a balloon for my birthday.

For many years, I just felt overwhelmed by Christmas.  There was so much to do, and my life was already so busy.  It's been much better since I retired, and since I gave up the idea of the "perfect" Christmas.  I'm also learning to break all the Christmas jobs into smaller parts, and just do them one at a time.  Quilters definitely know how to do that!  Inch by inch, row by row, we get there in the end.

This week, I'm wishing Happy Holidays to all who celebrate, and happy quilting to everyone.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 








26 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sylvia, and Happy Christmas, too! Your house blocks are so fun - I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt as you go tutorial. Cute Little Buddy and Baby Buddy - always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your grand-boys and am very glad you can see them regularly. I am such a fan of house blocks/quilts. I'm looking forward to seeing your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! I am so lucky to have my buddies here while their parents are working.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to your tutorial and it is easier to calm down Christmas the older we get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maggie! You are so right, the older we get the more perspective we gain on the whole thing.

      Delete
  4. Love your houses and I will look forward to the tutorial! I am also making a house/pandemic quilt courtesy of Jessica Dayton. It was that kind of year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sue! I look forward to seeing your house quilt. I know everything won't magically get back to normal Jan. 1, but I look forward to seeing 2020 in the rear view mirror.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas wishes too. I love to read about your busy life and what you and the Buddies get up to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful house blocks! I'm considering trying a quilt as you go denim in quilt. Do you think it would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gail! I definitely think you could do quilt as you go in denim. The question would be how thick is the denim itself. There is usually some hand sewing with quilt as you go--would you be comfortable sewing the denim by hand? If the denim is only on the front and regular cotton fabric is on the back, then you wouldn't have to worry about the thickness when hand sewing. BTW, I do know a way to avoid the hand sewing altogether. Have fun! If you have more questions, let me know.

      Delete
  7. I hope you find some time to slow down and enjoy all the festivities. Looks like the little ones are enjoying every minute. Glad that you are staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela! You are right, it's important to enjoy this season and not get stressed out over details. This week, I am focusing on the joy.

      Delete
  8. I love Little Buddy's idea of wearing silly hats. We could all use a little silliness. He looks so sweet carrying the balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silliness rules! Especially when we're not able to get outside. Sometimes we get out all the drums and harmonicas and kazoos and have a parade through the house.

      Delete
  9. Everyone needs a Silly Hat Day now and then! I'm looking forward to your QAYG tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! It has been so much fun having little kids in the house again--it's a reason (or an excuse?) to be silly.

      Delete
  10. I miss having kids around for Birthdays and Christmas'...the excitement is contagious. Happy birthday and have a wonderful holiday. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sylvia, Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! Love your quilt-as-you-go houses. Yes, we all had no idea about the importance of home when we started 2020. I'm glad that you got to see your grandkids. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sylvia, those houses were marinating until this crazy year! Houses are a great symbol for the year. . .we sure have spent a lot time at home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those house blocks turned out to be prophetic for 2020. In any case, they are beautiful. I am a fan of house quilts and yours are particular lovely. Have a Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!