Saturday, December 26, 2020

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Quilts, 2020

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's the very last Saturday of 2020 (thank goodness!), and Angela has asked us to share our RSC projects for the year.  This is my little stack above.  The only one finished is my Shoofly quilt, made in 1800s reproduction fabrics. 

I have three basic categories of scraps:  1800s repros, 1930s repros plus vintage fabrics/feedsacks, and bright colored newer fabrics, which includes lots of novelty prints.  For the last few years, I have tried to make three RSC quilts, one in each scrap category.  I say "tried" because other projects always seem to invite themselves along for the ride.

This year was no different.  I started out with 3 quilt ideas--the Shoofly, a 1930s house quilt, and a bright colored quilt from a Kim Brackett pattern called Text Me A Quilt.

I put the borders on the Text Me A Quilt top yesterday.  It's a large quilt (for me), 76 in. x 86 in., seen here on a queen sized bed.

The border is a print I've used lots of times on kids' quilts.  The prints is butterflies, appropriate for this year since butterflies stand for hope.  This will be a donation quilt.

The 1930s house quilt is in progress.  I'm quilting it by the block (tutorial to follow, hopefully soon).  The first two rows are quilted, and ready to be joined together.  It's actually fun to quilt this way.

The last RSC quilt for 2020 didn't get started until the year was half over.  My daughter's maternity leave was extended due to the pandemic, and since she didn't need me to babysit I spent some time cleaning up old projects in the basement.  I came across this partial top I had bought at a flea market years ago.

It looked like a rainbow!  How could I not include it?  
There was no way to match the old sashing, so I took it apart and changed the layout.
And that's my last RSC quilt for this year, a double nine patch set with a green solid.  I will quilt this one myself, and we will probably keep it.
 
Of course I'm thinking ahead to next year.  How about you?
 
I just want to say "Thank you!" to Angela for hosting the RSC and keeping things going, with her busy teaching schedule and the pandemic besides!  Making colorful quilt blocks and sharing them has been a mood lifter through this whole year, and I really look forward to Saturdays, when I can see what everyone else has been up to.
 
And now for a little Christmas cheer.
Here's Little Buddy, showing off a paper airplane he and Grandpa made.

  

And here are all 3 of my buddies, wearing the hats I knit for them.  

We had a little celebration Christmas Eve with the people in our bubble, and a quiet Christmas at home yesterday.  In the morning, I took a virtual trip to Jane Austen's house in England HERE.
I especially enjoyed section entitled The Twelve Days of Christmas, which has short readings from Ms. Austen's books and letters, plus recipes and Christmas traditions.  

Have a lovely weekend, and stay safe!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 
and Cynthia at Oh Scrap.

 







19 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, and your quilts are beautiful! I love the houses, and this flea market partial top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great plan for using your scraps from the different fabric categories you have, Sylvia! You are so right that extra projects pop up along the way - that happens to me, too. I'm looking forward to your quilt as you go tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! When it comes to RSC projects, I say, the more the merrier! BTW, the tutorial is coming along, part one should be ready by next week.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely photo of the three boys, proudly showing off their hand knitted woolly hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Their mom made them wear the hats for the photo! The teenager is too cool for a hat, he'd rather wear a hoodie.

      Delete
  4. LOVE those quilt tops (and the Buddies with their hats!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing. It looks like you have had a productive year. Extended maternity leave sounds like a great plan right now. Hopefully you will be babysitting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela! The baby was born in March, and my daughter didn't have full time work again until July. So I had a lot of time off! We're back to full time now, and I get to see the kids every day.

      Delete
  6. Your shoo fly quilt looks like an antique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viridian! That's what I was going for! Up close the machine quilting would give it away, but I like my reproduction quilts to look like old quilts from across the room.

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy seeing your scrappy rainbow quilts. Here are to many more in 2021!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute hats and such a precious picture. Love it. I am looking forward to the 1930s house quilt. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year 2021!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your repros, that is all I buy lately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!