Saturday, December 12, 2020

Rainbows in Winter

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

We've got a snow storm this morning.  By springtime, we'll be tired of snow, but for now it makes the neighborhood look like a Christmas card.

Outside, the weather may be frightful, but it's warm and cozy inside.

Not much sewing got done this week, but I did finish the Shoofly quilt, one of my projects for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I chose a warm brown binding from my stash.

There were some places that needed a little more quilting, but I wasn't sure how to mark them.  Then I hit on this idea, which I should have thought of before.  My machine has a quilting guide.  I set the guide on a finished line of quilting, and quilted the next line.  Eureka!  I will have to remember this trick for other Baptist Fan quilting projects.

This came in the mail.  My family had no idea why I was so excited about it. 

Thirty yards of 96 in. wide cotton batting!  I've been having to go to the store for batting too often, especially with the pandemic getting worse all the time.  Now I won't have to go for quite a while.  And I have no excuse for not finishing more tops.

All the sashes and cornerstones are cut for the next RSC project, my 1930s style house quilt.  I'll be using up batting scraps for this one, instead of the new batting, because I'm going to quilt it by the block.

Speaking of the RSC, are you planning what to start in the new year?  I've been thinking about Lemoyne Star blocks.  This one was just a practice block.  It turned out okay, which is weird because I did everything wrong.  Maybe this will be a good challenge for me.

I wasn't going to make yet another Christmas quilt, but there was this bag of scraps...  How many times has this happened to me?  (Does this happen to you, too?)  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these pieces, maybe a string quilt.  But a SMALL one, like a wall hanging.

Guess who's hiding behind the balloon?

 
It's Little Buddy!

It's hard to get a picture of him when he isn't moving!  As his shirt says, he's a true original.

This week, I would like to ask you to do me a favor.  Please, do something good for yourself.  It's the darkest time of the year, and the news is mostly depressing.  Let's take some time this week to do something joyful.  Read a good book--even if it's what my sisters and I call a "trashy romance novel".  Watch something silly and fun on TV.  Dance around in your pajamas.  Take a break from all the stress, and just breathe.  

Every morning this week, Baby Buddy and I listened to classic rock music.  He bounces up and down, I sing along, and everything just seems a little brighter.

Have a great week, whatever you do.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap





25 comments:

  1. Happiness is having plenty of batting on hand for all those projects you want to finish up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It feels so good to stock up on supplies. Now if I could only stock up on time!

      Delete
  2. That is good advice, Sylvia, and I will take you up on it! Singing along to favorite music is a real mood lifter for me, too. Your shoofly quilt finished up nicely! I think a small Christmas project is on my list for this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! It's so hard to resist that Christmas quilting spirit!

      Delete
  3. oh, the bag of scraps is a black hole for me. I see one and I am gone to sew. great finish. I have been enjoying Christmas music on you tube. Love the piano guys Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, maggie! "Black hole"--I love it, it describes this perfectly! Thanks for the ideas on Christmas music.

      Delete
  4. I love my batting roll! Your quilt finish is beautiful and love the lemoyne star.... I think I have some little ones in a drawer, somewhere! Your pretty snow makes me smile.... probably because I don't have it to shovel down here in Florida. I do things for 'me' every day! Tonight I think will be watching Polar Express (yes, I am a big kid at heart) and some hot cocoa during that one scene is something my daughter insists on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb! I love the Polar Express too! When I was a school librarian I read the book to the kids every year. Last year Little Buddy's family went on a Polar Express train in Chicago. Santa came through and gave each kid a bell, and there was hot chocolate!

      Delete
  5. Nice job on finishing up that RSC quilt with this month's DARK Neutrals, Sylvia!! That roll of batting should keep you quilting for a month or two. Have fun with that new Christmas quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Fast quilters like you might use up that batting a little quicker than I will!

      Delete
  6. The shoofly quilt is lovely, looks nice and cozy. I would be excited about the roll of batting too! I did make Dancing Stars block this week to test for the RSC, I'll be making more next year. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! I look forward to seeing your Dancing Stars in the new year. Happy stitching to you, too!

      Delete
  7. I too would do a happy dance if I were getting that much batting. You go, girl, and finish those tops! You did a great job on the Shoo-fly quilt. Love your Lemoyne Star. It's soooo pretty!
    I've been thinking about RSC2021 and I have the tulip block already started (cause I couldn't wait). My goal for next year is to participate regularly. I haven't been very good this year with my RSC projects. We'll see what the new year will bring. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chantal! You have made some absolutely amazing quilts this year! I love your red and white tulip block. It looks sort of art deco to me. Good luck in the new year!

      Delete
  8. I'd be excited about all that batting, too! I'd love to have a big roll but have no way to store it, alas. Your shoo-fly looks great! I love seeing it all nicely made on the bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love following your journeys, and all your colorful donation quilts.

      Delete
  9. Love your house blocks. Looking forward to the someday finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! Slowly but surely, it's coming along.

      Delete
  10. There is nothing like a new squishy roll of batting! And a bag a scraps to play with :)

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quilting supplies (and office supplies) but my favorite supplies are scraps! Thanks for Oh Scrap every week.

      Delete
  11. I buy my Warm and Natural batting by the roll at Hobby Lobby and use a 40% off coupon. Batting is not my excuse for not getting things completed. I HATE BASTING!!!! I counted 9 quilts waiting to be basted and 2 waiting to be quilted.

    I usually listen to 70's on 7 or Classic Rock on Sirius XM through Alexa while in the sewing room. Singing and dancing the whole time I cut or press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rose! Singing and dancing just makes everything better. And hurray for classic rock!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! Let's find joy wherever we can! The baby likes my singing, although the dog may howl.

      Delete
  13. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!