Saturday, December 5, 2020

On the Border

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's a frosty morning here for the first Saturday in December.  No snow yet, and I'm not complaining.  I'm sure we'll get our share this winter, as usual.

We've had a busy week with the grand kids, so not much sewing happened, but I did get the borders on my quilt-as-you-go Shoofly quilt, which was one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts for 2020.

I chose a red print from my stash for the border (locally sourced, as Preeti says!), and a stencil from my collection for the quilting.  The stencils hang in my sewing room closet as above.

I'm going to use this swag, so I measured the stencil and cut the border to be just a little larger.

The center of my quilt is already quilted.  This is how I add borders to it.

First, I add a border itself.  I position it right sides down on the right side of the quilt, pin, and stitch.  It might help to think "sew and flip" here.

Next I create a strip of backing to add underneath the border.  It needs to be wider than the border.  Because I use basting spray, which holds fairly tightly (it's glue, after all), I don't need the backing strip to be a LOT wider.  In this case, the border was cut 5.5 in. wide and the border backing was cut 6 in. wide.

I flip the quilt over, position the backing strip right sides together with the quilt backing, pin, and stitch.  I press this seam also.

Now I have a border and its backing, both sewn by machine to the quilt.  I need batting to go between these two layers.  I cut a long strip of batting slightly narrower than I cut the border.  In this case, the border was cut 5.5 in. wide, so I cut the batting 5  in. wide.  Today I used my ruler and a pen to mark the batting and cut it with scissors.  (I cut the ink line away so no ink gets into the quilt.)  Sometimes I cut the batting with a rotary cutter I use only for batting.  (Fun fact--because I use 100% cotton batting, I can press it with the iron if it's wrinkly.)

Now to add the batting to the border.  I pull back the top, and lay the batting strip down on the backing.  I butt the top edge of the batting strip against the seam.  I want to keep the bulk of the batting out of the seam so it lays nice and flat.  (It doesn't need to be held in the seam--the quilting will keep the batting in place.)  I spray baste the batting to the backing first, and then to the border.

Voila!  The border is ready to quilt.  Of course, this has to be done on all four sides.

Like this!  Because both the border and the border backing were sewn on by machine, there is no hand sewing to do here.  In fact, the only hand sewing on this quilt is the two seams joining the three sections, which I already did.  I'll be adding the binding by machine, when I get there.

But first, it's time to mark the swags and quilt!

Meanwhile, my leaders and enders are coming along.

And Baby Buddy is nine months old today!  (Please excuse the poor quality photo.  Sunlight was just pouring in yesterday.)

How are you doing in this very strange time?  We are hanging in there.  The holidays will be different this year, but we will manage.  I'm going to plan a big party for this summer, when we're all vaccinated, with lots of hugging.  LOTS OF HUGGING!!!  Can't wait!

Have a good week, and thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 
















17 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to see how you do that, Sylvia! Looks like it works really well. We're hanging in there at our house, but I'm sad to have had to miss Thanksgiving with our kids and now it looks like Christmas will be postponed, too. It will be Christmas in July this year, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Quilt as you go is one of the ways I'm able to quilt big quilts, especially when I want to do something besides a grid. It takes a little more work, though.
      I'm all for Christmas in July!

      Delete
  2. I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks for the information. Since my boys are still living at home, nothing has changed for us this year. We had some cases of Covid very close to home, VERY close to home but we tested negative. Hope it stays that way. Stay safe. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chantal! I'm so glad your family is okay. You stay safe, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your method for QAYG borders, Sylvia! Now worries about the sunshine in Baby Buddie's 9-month photo. He is TOO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm planning my fabric scrap basket to make with your tutorial. I might need several!

      Delete
  4. That picture of Baby Buddy is almost like getting a hug! I certainly feel warm and fuzzy looking at it. "Locally sourced" made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I love all the quilts you are making for Covered in Love. Baby Buddy is definitely like his picture, warm and fuzzy. He's finally getting some fuzzy hair!

      Delete
  5. it is nice that your grandchildren are in your "bubble" so you can visit with them - my daughter has many friends in WI that are sick with virus please be careful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. We have 5 grandchildren, and see 3 of them nearly every day, since we are their babysitters. Our older daughter and her family are sadly outside our bubble, and we miss them very much. Thanks for thinking of us. You stay safe, too!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing how your add borders as a QAYG method and so cool that your grandchildren are in your "bubble!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terry! Only 3 of my 5 grandchildren are in the bubble, those are the ones we babysit. I really miss the other two (and their parents!). We just gotta keep hanging on.

      Delete
  7. Those QAYG borders are a great idea - I've done something similar and it is SO helpful for large quilts!
    I haven't seen my children or grandchildren since last Christmas, and am afraid that it will be July 4th before I see them again in person. But luckily we can meet twice a week on Zoom, so we're still able to keep up while staying safe. Guaranteed that I'm going to cry and cry when I finally get a chance to hug them again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gayle I'm so sorry you can't see your kids and grand kids. This is so hard. I'm glad we have Zoom, even when it's a little weird. (My mom gets dressed up and puts on makeup for our zoom calls!)

      Delete
  8. Oh I really really like your shoo fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, always interesting to see how someone else does these hard to fit in our machine jobs1!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!