Friday, May 27, 2022

Antique Quilts Week: Red and Green Applique

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's the last week of the month, so that means time for antique quilts from my collection.  This month's theme is red and green applique.

Both of these quilts date from 1850-1875.  They are hand pieced and hand quilted, with no evidence of machine sewing on them anywhere.  These are the only two quilts I have ever had documented, and some of the photos I'm using came from the documentations, which is why they have a number pinned to them.  To be clear, I took the photos myself.

Here's the first quilt, a Peony variation.  That word, variation, is very useful when identifying (or trying to identify) antique quilts, especially appliqued ones.  Quilters then were like quilters now, changing patterns to suit themselves.

By the way, the photo above shows the entire quilt.  It's not folded, this is just all there is.  Blocks at the top and on the sides are simply cut off.

There are borders on two sides only, and an unusual small wreath in one corner.  I bought this quilt from an Ebay seller many years ago.

 
Sometimes when a quilt has only two borders, it may have been meant to cover a bed in a corner, as above.  (Why add two borders that no one will see?)  The vine in the borders is a sort of blue, rather than green which we would expect, and there is staining all around the vine.  I believe this vine fabric might have originally been dyed a shade of green, and faded and/or bled.  But I can't tell for sure.

The flower and leaf shapes are simple and graceful, and there is lots of lovely hand quilting, at 8 to 9 stitches per inch.

There are feathered wreaths in the alternate blocks, and hearts quilted in the corners.  I know it's hard to see here, sorry.

The seller had no information about the maker of the quilt, but knew it was made in Kentucky.  This embroidered letter "L" might be from the maker's or the owner's name.  I'm sure the family that originally had the quilt knew who L was, but now no one does.  Just a reminder to us all to label our quilts!

The second quilt is a Cherry Wreath.  There are 9 large wreath blocks (13.5-14 inches square) and vine borders on all four sides.  Quilt teachers encourage us now to make our borders turn the corners, but this quiltmaker had apparently never heard of them.  Her borders were obviously made separately.  They might not win prizes at a quilt show, but I like the less formal look of it.

The sheer amount of work in these blocks is astounding.  There are 52 tiny appliqued cherries in each wreath.  Plus 18 leaves, and the wreath circle itself! 

Here's a dime next to the cherries, for comparison.  Also, you can see the embroidery better here.  Each cherry has an embroidered stem connecting it to the wreath or the border vines.  Most of the embroidery thread in the blocks has faded from green to white.

In addition to feathered circles quilted in the alternate blocks, there are lots of other motifs.  The quilting here is 9-10 stitches per inch.  

The border is quilted with a double hanging diamonds pattern.  Green solid fabric with this characteristic yellowish hue usually indicates a date prior to the Civil War.  

Both of these quilts are around 150 years old.    Neither one is in perfect condition, which is why they were affordable. I have loved studying them, and it is an honor to own them. 

Back in this century, I have discovered I am a bandwagon jumper.  (Who knew?)  I have jumped on the Switch Plate block bandwagon, and am happily cutting and sewing these little 3" x 5" finished blocks.   Of course I'm doing the green ones first, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  Click HERE for Cynthia B.'s first post on them, from back in April.

Plus, this!  When cutting pieces from 3.5 in. strips, it was easy to cut these Little Bricks also, and sew up 8 patch blocks.  This time I'm copying Cathy from Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting.  Click HERE for a recent post with the 8 patch blocks, plus lots of other scrappy goodness.

And now here's a happy first for today.

My Little Guy went to the library for the very first time.  He loved it!  Except for the part where you have to let go of the book you've chosen so the lady can check it out for you and hand it back. 

He was born in March of 2020, and Covid kept us away until now.  I always took his brothers to story time and other library events, and I've felt bad that he missed those activities, which were cancelled because of the pandemic.  The virus may not be over, but we are cautiously venturing out, and doing these very important things.

Let's do important things this week.  Things like getting together with family and friends, either in person or virtually or by phone.  Things like remembering our loved ones who have died, and passing their stories on.  Things like helping others, sharing hugs, smiling at strangers, looking after our animal friends.  And sewing, as donations, gifts, or kindness to ourselves.  This stuff is important!

Have a safe and meaningful Memorial Day weekend, and a wonderful week ahead.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap







 





 
 


 





21 comments:

  1. cute little guy - you should check and see if the library has children's programs - my daughter is the children's librarian at our local library and has all kinds of story times for kids and programs they love it. The antique quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! We've always enjoyed the library's children's programs, but they were suspended here due to COVID, and are not all back yet. It's so nice to have a librarian in the family! (I say that as a retired school librarian!)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful antique quilts and pretty happy blocks for this week Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your antique quilts are beautiful, Sylvia! I really love the cherry wreath one, but so much applique! I'm more of a switch plate block type quilter. I haven't made any of those yet, but I may have to! So wonderful for your little guy to finally get to go to the library - it's one of my favorite places in our town, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I've done applique, but it's not my first love, and I would never try to make those tiny cherries! I've been easing into taking the kids to the library, just bringing home books for them at first. They acted like I had brought them treasure!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your beautiful red and green quilts. Love them both. Yes, Cathy always have some wonderful scrappy goodness and inspiration galore. Little Guy is so adorable in that picture. Oh, precious little one, so innocent. Kudos to you for helping him get into the busy, noisy, scary but wonderful world. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Chantal! We're taking it one step at a time. Keeping them safe has to be the first priority.

      Delete
  5. Interesting info on the vintage quilts. I sometimes make my own version of ones I like but I'm not an applique person so you won't see me making my version of these beauties. I can't even applique a large circle and make it look round let alone one smaller than a dime. Oh, the work! I put my toe in the water and made a couple of switch plate blocks. I have a couple of other blocks in the works that take 1.5 inch pieces so why not add another. Oh, the joys of the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! I draw a lot of inspiration from antique quilts, but when it comes to the applique ones I mostly just admire them.

      Delete
  6. I do so enjoy seeing your precious antique quilts, thanks so much for sharing. And I'm sure there nothing wrong with "jumping on the band wagon", makes life interesting with new projects, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! I think one of the big perks of the internet is seeing all the great stuff other people are making. If it tempts us to join in, well, okay!

      Delete
  7. Yea for going to the library! I love our library!! Our library has a check yourself out kiosk. I never use it, I'm so old fashioned, but I'll bet that's the reason the kiddies like it. They only have to let go of the books for a minute and not to a "stranger Librarian".. I never thought of that! I enjoyed seeing the vintage quilts too. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! I was a school librarian for 13 years, scanned books day in and out, and I still can't get our self-serve kiosk to scan consistently! It's a little persnickety. I'm sure my Little Guy will get more comfortable with the routine and the library staff. They're very friendly.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Sylvia for sharing those special beauties. I loved seeing the motifs up close too. So interesting to see those precious hand stitches. How nice to take the little one to the library...we are slowly feeling more normal here in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those quilts are wonderful! So many little stiches. Great job of those switchplate blocks. I still have to do mine in green - tikes, the month is almost over!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your antique quilts are beautiful -thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Viridian! I always love seeing what you do with reproduction fabrics.

      Delete
  11. Wow Wow and Wow!! those are amazing quilts - and the history about them is amazing. I had no idea about the two borders on a corner bed - that is actually a great idea, and I bet , in a time that fabric wasn't in abundance - an important design element.

    And the library! So glad you could take him - that was one of my most favorite things to do with my kids!! Too funny about not wanting to give up the book to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trips to the library with your little ones are so special. I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!