Saturday, May 7, 2022

Greening Up

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's green month, at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Time to sew up our green scraps!  Specifically, May is sage and/or forest green month, but I sadly don't have enough green scraps for two months, so all the green is getting thrown in together.

I have a scrap-reducing goal here.  I'm trying to use up some of the many multi-color prints in the 2.5 in. strip drawer.  This project pairs them with solid colors.  One of the solids is a sage-y green, the other is brighter.  The pattern comes from a tutorial written by Cynthia of Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework, it's fast and easy.  (Click HERE.)  Strip piecing with virtually no waste and only 5 seams in each block, no kidding.  Each block uses half of a full strip from each fabric.  BTW, you should also check out the rest of her Scrap-A-Palooza series, great ideas and free!  There's a tab at the top of her homepage (Click HERE.)

Here's another long tall crayon, green this time.  It's been fun finding 18 different prints for the pieces.

Halloween, monkeys, paisley, even watermelons.  And so many different shades of green.

Nature is also showing us many shades of green, even here in Wisconsin.  The rhubarb has been growing fast lately, due to all the rain we've had.

Some new house plants followed me home from the grocery store.  That's a Gerbera daisy in front, parsley on the back left and basil on the right.  I like having herbs handy for cooking.  We have a small herb garden next to the garage with chives, sage, oregano, and spearmint.

Good news:  Mrs. Pfaff came back from the repair shop, ready for action!  We got to work right away, quilting two small tops the ladies at the quilt guild had made for charity.

Blue and white always makes a pretty quilt!  I think this is a Disappearing Four Patch, although some of the blocks are a little different.

Just straight line quilting in white thread.  The quilt is 40 in. square.

Another quilt, also 40 in., in another winning color scheme, red, white, and blue.  Some of the pieces look pink from a distance, but it's really a red and white gingham.  The light print is patriotic hearts.

It's an unusual pattern, I don't think I've seen it before.  Again, just straight (or mostly straight!) quilting following the seams.

 So some of my to-do pile has moved to the "tuh-done" pile!

Check out this cheeky monkey!  My Little Guy has seen the dog lying on the back of the couch, looking out the window at the birds and squirrels, so he decided to try it.  And then gave me a look like that!  He's definitely two, oh dear.

He's fascinated with numbers right now, even at the playground.  Maybe he'll be good at math as he gets older.  I could use a helper.

Here's hoping we all have a good week ahead, with time for quilting and sewing, and for being with the ones you love.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

P.S.  Happy Mothers' Day, to all who celebrate!

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 









 



18 comments:

  1. What a fun way to use up those tricky mulitcolor scraps. I have a stack of those that never seem to go with anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I seem to get a lot of these multi-color fabric scraps second hand. I think lots of us love them but they don't work with every quilt design, so I'm trying something simple.

      Delete
  2. You have some very cute green blocks there. Isn't it interesting to see which colors other quilters have either too much of, or not hardly any? I have way too much green stashed away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me, it's blue! I never whine about not having enough blue!

      Delete
  3. I'm all for playing with all of the greens this month. Your disappearing 4-patch is gorgeous. Glad your sewing machine is back and ready to work. (from Kathy S. -- since I can't figure out how to change it from Anonymous). (When I hit the drop down arrow it tells me to sign in to Google. I'm already signed in... Oh well... modern technology.). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy S.! Not sure what's going on with google, sorry. Weird stuff happens with computers. I'm more comfortable with my treadle from 1909.

      Delete
    2. I’m glad I’m not the only one having that problem! I thought in was just me! Maybe it will get figured out! Judy at BusyHandsAreHappyHands

      Delete
  4. Those 16 patch blocks are a great way to use up your multi-colored scraps, Sylvia! They're pretty in every color. Love the crayon blocks, too. Won't they make a fun quilt? Glad you got your machine back - you jumped right in to finish those little quilts! I think watching the world go by from the back of the couch sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Bella the dog loves lying there, we call it doggie TV. She can alert us to any passing dogs or squirrels.

      Delete
  5. lots of quilts and herbs too - I need to decide what else I can fit in the garden right now only oregano and Lemon Thyme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get working on the outside garden, adding more strawberry and raspberry plants. Maybe my Little Guy will help me.

      Delete
  6. Lots of pretty greens, including ths large crayon. I'm sure one of your young grandsons would love the crayon quilt. But I guess they already have plenty, all made by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed it, Jenny, the grand kids do have a few quilts! But if they see me making it and ask for it, I'm going to hand it over.

      Delete
  7. Love your green blocks and also que quilting on those two pretty quilts, Sylvia. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the quilting. Two more done is awesome! happy mother's day! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sylvia for mentioning Cynthia's easy piecing technique for this 16 patch quilt. Also the inspiration in her Scrap-A-Palooza series! A crayon quilt is on my "to do" list for my almost 4 year old grandtwins!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't even gotten my green scraps out yet. And look at all the beautiful blocs you have already sewn. Love your charity quilts too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And here I'd been making 16 patches with 4 four patches! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!