Saturday, May 21, 2022

Green Frogs, Razzle Dazzle, and Rectangles

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Green scraps are still getting sewn up for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  I don't have the recommended forest or sage green, so I'm just using the greens I have.  And as you can see, most of my scraps are bright novelty prints.  (Does ZAB jump out at you from this photo?  It's part of an alphabet print.  Weird stuff happens when you cut up fabric!)

Here's the whole row, my version of Razzle Dazzle, one of my RSC projects.  (Click HERE for my first post on this pattern.)  It's actually two rows, but you need both to make the design work.

The yellow row from March was a help when I started putting the green row together.  I had kind of forgotten how I was arranging things, since I didn't make a pink row for April's color of the month.  I had to lay them out to preview what the quilt might look like.

The ends of the rows are just sliced off to make a straight edge.  No complicated math for me, thanks!

Check out this happy little frog!  He's in two of the triangles, one right side up and one upside down.  (I didn't mean to put them so close together, how did that happen?)  I have a real thing for happy frog prints.

No time for actual quilting this week, but I had a deadline for this little quilt, so at least the top got pieced.

And guess what showed up on the border!  Happy green frogs!  I'll show this quilt properly once it's quilted.

As always, when I'm piecing I need to have a leaders and enders project.  That's what the set on the left is, 72 little 4.5 in. finished blocks, clipped in sets of 10.  I sew these pieces in between the main project, which is really necessary with the Razzle Dazzle triangles.  But what do you do when you get all the leaders and enders blocks done?  

Start another project, of course!

Last Wednesday, quilt author Judy Gauthier gave a presentation at our guild.  I already had all her current books (there is a new one coming out soon!), and it really energized me to look through the books again, and put sticky notes on designs I want to try right away.

Why not try one right now, when I need a new leader and ender project?  And this block even uses the same size rectangles that were already at the machine. The quilt is called Rectangles Squared, and is in the book Rainbow Quilts for Scrap Lovers.  Very easy piecing, and looks good in bright colors.

So I'm set for piecing for a while, but Mrs. Pfaff and I really need to get busy on the quilting. 

I was out of town part of this week, and sort of discombobulated after we got back (what with laundry, etc.).  Somehow, I neglected to get any photos of the kids!  So here's one of all my grandchildren, at Easter.  (Yes, we had to wear winter coats for the Easter egg hunt, but it was worth it!)

We've put the coats away now, and should have warm spring weather the rest of the week.

I hope you have a lovely week, whatever the weather.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap










 





22 comments:

  1. I love your Razzle Dazzle project, Sylvia! Both the design and the fun prints you're including in it will make this a wonderful quilt for its recipient. Those books you're looking at for new projects look great! Winter coats were needed yesterday here in Colorado - it snowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, snow in late May! We've only had a big May snow storm once in the last 30 years. I hope it's warming up soon!

      Delete
  2. Love the Razzle Dazzle!! And yes, we had snow in Utah this week. Gah! I hate spring snow. But sunny, cool day today so we worked outside. I might still have a little energy left for sewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Too bad about the snow! We've got lots of outside work to do also, maybe some will get done today. But I always try to leave a little energy for sewing!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I'm enjoying all these fun triangles.

      Delete
  4. What a fun scrappy zig zag quilt you are making! Love the bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the most amazing collection of novelty prints! I love how Razzle Dazzle is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Julie! They're my favorites, I look for them everywhere!

      Delete
  6. Your razzle dazzle quilt is precious! Love that it is your RSC blocks for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having fun using these kind of triangles, instead of my usual squares and rectangles.

      Delete
  7. Your zigzag triangles quilt is so pretty Sylvia, really amaising all the collourfull and happy fabrics.
    Love also the stars top. OWO beautiful gang of grandchildren!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! These are two of my favorite things: making quilts and being a grandma.

      Delete
  8. Lots of fun things going on here! I love novelty prints too! It's fun to see what shows up in a little piece of fabric. ZAB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am smitten with that Razzle Dazzle quilt. I might have to start one myself. I have loads of low volumes that need using. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! Thanks for Oh Scrap every week. One of the things I like about this pattern is using equal amounts of light and dark.

      Delete
  10. love your greens - and that new block is so cool!
    I think your house must just be so colorful and happy all the time with all that pretty fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! We're definitely colorful around here, what with all the toys. And mostly happy too!

      Delete
  11. You have the family in a lineup, try to get one just like it each coming year, with that same background, and watch them grow. The lines on the garage door will indicate clearly their heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a lineup lol, love it! We have been doing this at Easter for about 10-12 years. It's fun to compare the pictures.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!