Friday, July 29, 2022

1930s Irish Chain and Boston Commons: Hubby for the Win

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's the last Saturday of the month, so time for a show and share of some antique quilts from my collection.

Some background information:  My husband and I don't like all the same things.  I love quilts and fabric and yarn, and he reads math books for fun.  (Seriously, he really does.  Can you imagine?)

We both like going to flea markets and antique malls, and along the way I have shamelessly bent his ear about antique quilts.  I didn't really think he was listening (I mean, am I listening when he talks math?), but apparently he was.

One day several years ago when I was busy, he went to an estate sale, and came back with this Irish Chain quilt.  He seemed a little worried about it, that maybe it wasn't something I'd want, but I soon cleared up that confusion!  It's a lovely 1930s quilt, hand quilted, in perfect shape.  It looks as though it's never been used.

He didn't get the maker's name, unfortunately, but we know the quilt was made right here in the town we live in.  There are only 4 fabrics in the quilt:  the print on the front, the print on the back, and two slightly different blue solids for the piecing and the binding.

I was a little bit afraid to ask how much it cost, but inquiring minds want to know, so I did.  He paid $25.00!!!  I might have cracked the house foundation jumping up and down.

With that success under his belt, he next came home with this Boston Commons quilt.  (It's even got purple, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month!)

In this photo, you can see how the corners were done.  Also, there are solid purple squares and solid green squares surrounding the random scrap squares, with white as a background.  The edge is sort of a try at a scalloped border.

The white squares, all eleventy-million of them, were cut and sewn individually.

The back is white also, and the quilt has been machine quilted.  It has a very thin batting, maybe even a flannel sheet, which was common in the 1930s.  The condition is good, but not perfect.  There are a couple of places where seams have popped or raveled out.

This time, hubby knew he'd done well.  He got it for the low low price of $40.00.  

Both of these quilts are in this book:  Warman's Vintage Quilts, Identification and Price Guide, by Maggi McCormick Gordon.  I knew Maggi through the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts.  She came out one day and went had a lovely time going through my quilts and tops.  Many of the quilts in the book came from Wisconsin collectors.

My Boston Commons quilt even made the back cover!

So many thanks to my dear hubby for finding these lovely ladies of the past.

I've often thought I'd like to make a Boston Commons quilt, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

I bought this classic book back when I was fairly new to quilting.  It's The Boston Commons Quilt, by Blanche and Helen Young, copyright 1983.  The cardboard templates kind of scared me off.  I kept the book anyway, hoping I'd figure it out someday.

Recently I saw a fun quilt in this book, Easy Layer-Cake Quilts 2, by Barbara Groves and Mary Jacobson of Me and My Sister Designs.

It's called Around the Block, and isn't exactly a Boston Commons, but it's similar, and made with scraps, which I love.  I might have to adjust it a little to get the look I want.

Here's the piecing diagram from the book.  Maybe it wouldn't be too complicated if I took it a row at a time?

With July coming quickly to an end, I had to get this purple crayon made to go with the other RSC blocks. 

There are so many different shades of purple!  These crayons have yummy names like Grape and Wild Berry.

In other news, we went camping in the Wisconsin Dells last weekend.  Whenever I go camping, it rains, and this was no exception.  We had a huge thunderstorm, but we were safe and dry in our cabins.  This is my favorite way to camp, no more tents for me!

All of our kids and grandkids were able to come, and we had such a good time.  This is only part of the family contingent.  The guy in the middle with the red shirt is my hubby, formerly Quilt Buyer Extraordinaire.  He's retired from that job now that I've stopped actively collecting, and is resting on his laurels.

If you go to the Dells, you are almost required to take a ride on a Duck boat, an amphibious vehicle that dates to World War II.  This is the view of the Wisconsin river, just before our driver drove us right into it.  We made a big splash, and the kids loved it.

How was your week?  I hope you had time for fun, family, and quilting.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Just a note--I know I'm going to be too busy this coming week to get a blog written by the weekend.  So I'll be back on the blog Aug. 12-13.  In the meantime, Happy Quilting!

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy 

 

 


















23 comments:

  1. love older quilts especially if they have all lots of old fabrics -eleventy-million of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband did a great job finding those quilts. Yes, I can understand reading a math book....I am a former high school math teacher/college professor. I still enjoy challenging myself with math problems. I also love to make quilts. I really like the Irish Chain quilt. I have always wanted to make one. I hope you make your own version of the Boston Commons quilt someday as you love it so much. It looks like you had a great time camping. That is totally not my thing. I used to have relatives in Wisconsin in Racine. My father grew up there, but ultimately settled in New York. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed by people who are comfortable with math. I'm sure it helps you with your quilting. My last real job was working in a small school in Racine county. You have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. Amazing vintage quilts! Your found beautiful purple fabrics for the crayon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to see your antique quilts and hear their stories! Sounds like your husband did well with those purchases. This month's crayon is full of pretty purples, too! The camping trip looks fun, and have a wonderful week. Hope is a fun kind of busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is worth his weight in math textbooks. Thanks for sharing his finds and your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the quilts! I have a couple, never had them appraised. Purple comes in so many shades. From pinkish to almost brown. I love purples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only had one of my quilts appraised, but it was a great experience, I learned so much. Purple is my favorite, but I love orange too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your precious antique quilts, Sylvia.
    Although you got rainy days, looks like all the family had great camping days. Your purple crayon block is pretty. See you soon.
    Happy international Friendship day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy International Friendship Day to you, too! I really enjoy reading quilt blogs (and comments!) from quilters in other countries, it gives a new perspective to our hobby.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed seeing your old quilts. Nice collection! It always rains when we go camping too, and we're still using tents! We go with friends and always have a tarp or two set up with tables under them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful quilts your hubby found for you! I love both of them. The purple crayon looks great. What a fun family adventure you are having. Enjoy them and lets hope the rain stays away. (I'm not a tent camper either - I much prefer a bed and indoor plumbing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tent camping, no thanks, I am over it! I want a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in. I can deal without the indoor plumbing if there is a bath house nearby.

      Delete
  10. I'm always inspired by antique quilts. Kudos to your hubby. What a nice guy to find you some lovely quilts. I haven't been to the Dells since I was a young girl. I won't tell you how many years ago that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antique quilts are what led me to making my own. It's amazing how much variety there is. Hubby is a keeper, for sure.

      Delete
  11. I love reading about your quilt collection each month thanks so much for sharing. Such a clever hubby to search out quilts for you, yes, he has been listening when you talk about your obsession. Wonderful to enjoy a family camping trip away together, raining or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having so much fun getting these quilts out and rediscovering them. And of course remembering how kind hubby was to think of me and my quilt obsession. I need to try harder when he talks about his interests.

      Delete
  12. THose two quilts are amazing!! I love that he really does listen... I would admit - math might be hard to listen to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm lost after the first sentence! I'm glad we have other interests in common.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!