Sunday, July 17, 2022

Positivity 2022 Progress #2


 It's a top!  I got my Positivity homework done by the deadline!  It was a near run thing.

This week, before the kids got here in the morning, I was setting the blocks into rows, and then putting the rows together.  I sewed the border on yesterday evening.  It needs a good press before quilting, though.

The border wasn't part of the original directions, I just wanted one.  So for my quilt, I used 63 blocks, set in 9 rows of 7 each, and added 4 in. finished borders.  This made the size come out the same as if I had made 80 blocks and no border.  The math actually worked out!  The quilt will be 64 in. x 80 in. when finished (or pretty close).

The colors I chose were blue, green, and aqua.  And no novelty prints!  I really had to search through all the bins and boxes to find enough variety.  There are batiks, Kaffe Fassett prints, vintage fabrics from the 1960s through the 1990s, and even a light reproduction print or two.  The handiest fabric I had for the backgrounds was a roll of light 5 in. strips I bought on vacation last summer.  In the end, I used what I had on hand except for the border, which was purchased just for this quilt.

I'm thinking of quilting a grid across the top, following the seams, with something curvy in the border.  I'm hoping this will be a calming quilt, for people facing a difficult time.  

Thanks so much to Preeti for coming up with such a fun and easy way to make a block, and such very clear instructions.  Making the blocks has been a breeze.

What if I made it as one of my donation quilts for kids?  What if it was even scrappier?

Sew much fun!  I used 2 matching light charm squares, 2 matching red charm squares, a light 2.5 in. strip and a red 2.5 in. strip, all from the parts department.  These blocks remind me of the folded paper chains we made with gum wrappers in elementary school.  (Click HERE to go to a web page with examples, and even instructions.)  I was never able to really grasp how to fold them right so the chain didn't fall apart, but the guy on the web page holds the Guinness World Record for the longest chain, so he really knows his stuff.

So I just added another project to the long list of projects.  I will never be bored.  I might have to go buy some more thread, though.

Congratulations to everybody for getting this far on the Positivity quilt.    

Linking up with Bernie at Needle and Foot.

Pickle relish and Positivity blocks!






3 comments:

  1. I love the colors you chose, and the border, too. It really does clean up those edges. Great idea to make a smaller one for kids, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely top. Will surely comfort someone with the love you put in it, and the warmth. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia - you hit the nail on the head - this pattern is really reminiscent of those gum wrapper chains. I remember thinking those were so cool when I was a kid. Love both versions - the beautiful colors of the Mercyful quilt and the fun reds in the child's version. Great work here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!