Saturday, July 16, 2022

Summer Wild Life

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

As I sit here writing this morning I'm watching a parade of animal life, wild and domestic, crossing the patio.  So far there were a young rabbit, a pair of yellow goldfinches, and a neighbor's orange cat.  This robin in the tree was very angry with me when I went out onto the porch, and just kept hurling curses my way.

This is why--his (or her) family was only a few feet away, in a nest over the outside light.  (Don't worry, we never turn it on.)  The parent birds have been looking after their hatchlings, and warning us off.  We've seen the baby birds a time or two, when they stretch up to be fed.  It's hard to stay away, but we don't want to interfere.

One of the reasons for the animal/bird visits could be our raspberry vines.  They're even invading my husband's wild flowers.  

My young grandsons and I pick berries every morning.  I think we've got about one week left until they're gone.  These are a black raspberry variety, that are a shiny black when ripe.  If you pick them when they're not quite ripe, they're a dark purple.

Speaking of purple, it's purple month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I got these 16 patches done.  

It's been great using the multicolor prints in this project.  Some of them, like this one, would work with a couple of different solids.

I have tried for literally YEARS to find a way to use this fabric.  The background is a light blue, there are red and gold lines running through it, plus purple and darker blue splotches.  I didn't choose this print, it chose me, or rather I got it in a batch of scraps I bought second hand somewhere.  At least some of it has a home now.

I love buying quilt shop scraps!  (This could be why I get weird stuff from time to time?)  Last Saturday, I went to a Wisconsin Quilt Study Group meeting, and treated myself to a quilt shop visit on the way home.  The shop is Ye Olde Schoolhouse in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.  Want to see what was in the bag?

All this!  There were several large pieces, lots of strips, a few small scraps, and some strings.  Lots of variety, good quality reproduction prints, and a whole bag for less than the price of a yard of fabric.

More treats!  I've been thinking about the book for a few months, and finally decided to bring it home with me.  And I love Quiltmania magazine.  It's expensive (!) but jam packed.  I might need to get a subscription.

I've got a plan for these Switch Plate blocks, and my soon-to-be first grade grandson wanted to help me sort them.  He was very good at it, and volunteered to help whenever I'm putting blocks together.   I will definitely take him up on it!

To me, this looks like a colorful card catalog.  I'll show more of it as it gets done.

The past few days have been rainy and cool, but we did have sunshine early in the week.  These two always want to pose on this bench when we go for a walk in the park.  Their silliness makes me happy.

And finally, Happy 17th Birthday today to G., my oldest grandson.  Believe it or not, this is a photo AFTER his haircut.  It has been a joy to have him around this summer.  He's got me listening to his music, and his grandpa watching Korean zombie shows.

How was your week?  I can't wait to go to the linky parties and see what everybody else has been up to.  I hope you have time for all the things that make you happy in the week ahead.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap










25 comments:

  1. It's always fun to see what you've been up to each week, Sylvia! Yum on the raspberries, and pretty 16 patch blocks, too. I love the switch plate blocks! It's good to have a helper. Happy Birthday to your grandson - he's a very handsome young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm very lucky to have such a willing helper, and such fun kids to hang around with.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blocks, as always. You’re an endless source of inspiration! And you have the cutest grandsons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to visit and catch up! Looks like a great helper setting out the blocks. He did a great job too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! He was a quick learner. He understood right away that it was okay to put a blue block next to another blue block if they were different enough.

      Delete
  4. Lovely purple blocks, Sylvia. How great to find fabrics for such bargains. I ask for Quiltmania subscription as my birthday present from one of my daughters. What they offer is timeless. Beautiful grandsons and I've learned a lot too from my 17 year old one, who also wears a lot of hair forward like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn! I am so lucky to live near all my grandkids.

      Delete
  5. now I would like to see a before haircut photo :) love your quilt blocks, berries and nature - have not had many animals around here this year that I have seen - but have had gophers digging holes but haven't seen them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, gophers! G. told the hairdresser just to trim/shave the sides and leave the top. He's happy with it, but his mom wants to trim enough so she can see his eyes better.

      Delete
  6. fun block and I really love other people's scraps too- It keeps it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your switch plate blocks look interesting, might have to tuck this idea away till later on. How lovely that you little grandson wants to help laying the blocks out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very excited about it. I think it's like a puzzle for him.

      Delete
  8. I buy scrap bags at stores or used to when I could visit stores! Love variety and surprise they hold. We have some mighty robins this year and today I came out to clean our sliding glass door and a whole family screamed at me to not come near their tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could speak robin, I'd tell them not to worry, we won't hurt them. You're so right, some of the excitement of using other people's scraps is the surprise factor we have when we open the bag and find all the treasures.

      Delete
  9. Your 16-patch blocks were a great way to use some challenging fabrics. I love the Switch Plate blocks, and how nice that you have your little assistant to help lay them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! It's nice to be cleaning out some of these fabrics that have been sitting around waiting for the right partner.

      Delete
  10. My great grandmother had a few black raspberry bushes and we prized the jam from those berries! I remember marveling at the difference in taste of the matte berry versus the shiny berry! Love your switch plate helper and hooray for grandkids that help us stretch our comfortable 'boxes!"--TerryK@Ongoing Projects who has a Google account but can't access the comments on your blog with it. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berries are such a lovely gift of nature! BTW, I have the same problem commenting on other blogs, unless I'm using the Chrome browser.

      Delete
  11. You did very good on your 16-patch blocks. Love those colourful fabrics. I bet we all have some of the "what am I going to do with you?" type of fabric. Love your switch plate blocks. They look good all together. The pictures of the boys on the bench is the best! So cute. 17 years old! They live in such a different world than ours, aren't they? enjoy the nice bag of scraps. You got a real good deal. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! What's better than a bag of scraps? Yeah, teenagers really are in their own world. I'm glad he shares a little of it with us.

      Delete
  12. Lovely purple blocks. Purple is my favorite color so I am going to enjoy seeing it this month. You two sound like awesome grandparents. Thanks for sharing your post with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, my favorite color is purple, too! Great minds really do think alike. Have a good week!

      Delete
  13. You had me at Black Raspberries!!! THose look amazing - and those blocks are perfect!! Your 17yo hair cut - I love it!! my son has his that way and it is SOOO curly.... makes me jealous!!! haha! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!