Friday, July 22, 2022

Razzle Dazzle, Dinosaurs, First Quilt, and Waffles

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's purple time for my Razzle Dazzle quilt!  July is purple month at my favorite internet quilt along, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I found a few purple novelty prints, including the very hungry caterpillar,

and some little purple bunnies.  For the rest, I had a handful of Kaffe Fassett scraps, some dots and stars, and a floral or two.

I haven't had much time for sewing lately.  Summer fun is taking over.  In Wisconsin, we have to enjoy the nice weather while we have it.  Even when the pool water is a little cold.

Now that the COVID isolation is more or less over (for now?), we had a chance to finally go to the Field Museum in Chicago.  I've been promising my Buddy to take him to see the dinosaurs, especially Sue the T Rex that we've read about in several books.  Above, the family poses inside a life size Quetzalcoatlus model.  What an amazing animal this must have been.

These little guys loved everything, especially all the exhibits that say, "Please touch".

I mentioned last week that my Buddy had been helping me lay out a quilt.  This week, he decided he wanted to try laying one out himself.  He used my box of 5 in. squares to design a quilt for his little brother, who loves Thomas the tank engine.  He asked me to take a picture of him with his "first quilt". 

He and I organized the rows just like I usually do, with slips of paper and clothespins.  The Thomas fabrics on the right are being considered for borders.  I'm hoping I can persuade him to make the quilt wider.  He really didn't understand when I tried to tell him it would be smaller after sewing because of the seam allowances. 

This whole project just warms a grandma's heart.

In other scrappy news, look what I won at quilt group!  Our amazing block of the month organizer, Nancy Queen of Scraps, has been showing us fun ways to use up our bits and pieces and make great quilts.  Each month, she gives out a block pattern.  All of us who make the blocks turn them in, and a winner's name is drawn.  This month it was me!  I won 21 waffle blocks (one is not pictured).  I will have to make some more blocks to get this up to a larger size, which will be fun.

So there's lots of sewing to be done, and lots more summer fun to be had before the kids go back to school.

I hope you're having fun, no matter the weather or the season.  Have a great week!

Thanks for reading this,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with 

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap




 





13 comments:

  1. I really like your waffle blocks, are those 2" finished squares and strips? Very special to have your grandson participating and making his own quilt. Mine have loved helping me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! Yes, those are 2 in. finished squares and strips, the block finishes at 10 in. So easy! And they use stuff I always have on hand.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sylvia! I didn’t make it to guild this month, but I did make one of those blocks which I’ll mail to you so you have it right away. - Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannine! No need to mail if you haven't already, it may be a while before I get to this project. You can just give it to me at guild.

      Delete
  3. Razzle Dazzle in purple is so pretty, Sylvia! We visited the Field Museum many years ago, when my dinosaur loving son was about 10 (he's now 38!) only to find the dinosaur exhibit was closed and under construction. Glad you got to take your little buddies there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! It would be awful to find the dinosaur exhibit closed!

      Delete
  4. Love your purples
    but!! I have to say - I love the dinos the best!! what a fun trip for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! We all had a good time. My Buddy is still talking about it as "the first time I got to see Sue the T Rex". First time? Oh, boy.

      Delete
  5. Razzle Dazzle definitely dazzles. Buddy is a budding quilt designer. How fun that he wanted you to take a pic of him lying by his first quilt. What memories were captured with that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I was so surprised he wanted to make a quilt. I hope he doesn't get tired of it before I can sew the squares together!

      Delete
  6. It continues so hot here that I have up to 5 spontaneous bloody noses a week. I'm trying to drink enough water and spray myself to cool down plus an a little humidity to the air. With temps that effect me that way I don't get much done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you're having to deal with this awful heat wave.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!