Saturday, October 8, 2022

Crayons, Fall, and Cupcakes

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  I hope you're having a wonderful day.

The end of the year is coming up fast (how does it do that every year?), so I'm starting to put my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts together.  First up were the crayons.

Each crayon has a solid tip and 18 rectangles.  I didn't have enough green for two months, so I made a black crayon for October.

I don't use black much in children's quilts, so I was kind of surprised at how many black novelty prints I had.  (Oops, somebody's sock got in the picture!)

Pink is another color I use less often, but I made sure to include it.  My grandson (Buddy) loves pink, and it's been his favorite color since preschool.

Crayon quilts tend to have a problem.  If you have lots of pieced crayons (I have 10) and set them side by side, the quilt ends up being wider than it is long.  Some quilters fix this problem by setting the top like this:

Which is cute, but not really what I wanted.  I like them set the other way, just as you'd see a real box of crayons when you first open them up.  I admit it, I love a new box of crayons!  All those possibilities, and even that slight waxy smell!

So I oriented my little top like the first photo, and I added borders to just the top and bottom, from the last of this Eric Carle fabric.

But now I'm stuck.  The quilt is square, and that's okay, but does it look finished?  Should I add borders on all 4 sides now?  And if so, what?  Maybe a solid color?  Could the binding function like a border, and tie the quilt together?  I would love your opinion on this.

In other news, we're enjoying a beautiful fall here.  The trees in the park are starting to change color, and most nights we have a frost.

My Little Guy and I sometimes collect leaves on our visits.  Soon there will be too many, and we'll just crunch up the dry brown ones as we walk.

It's still warm enough after school for Buddy to play on the playground awhile before we go home.  (That's our Little Guy at the bottom in the dark shirt.)

All the Halloween activities are going strong.  Little Guy and I went to the library this week, where they had this "scary" clown tree.  He wasn't scared at all!  It was his first time at story time (mostly due to COVID), and he absolutely loved it.  I think the best part for him was playing with other kids.  We can hardly wait for next week.

Here's something completely new, at least to me--a Sprinkles cupcake vending machine!  I saw this in the Chicago airport on my way to the family reunion.

Yesterday was a day off school for Buddy, so we made our own cupcakes, with possibly too many sprinkles.  The kids like helping, but especially love to lick the beaters.  Well, who doesn't?

I snapped this photo the other day of these two guys "reading".  Our Little Guy insisted on looking at his book by himself and having Grandpa look at his own book.  Little Guy loves to be read to, but sometimes he just wants to look at the pictures by himself.  He is two, after all.

Have a wonderful week, and don't forget to visit the linky parties!  It's an eye candy fiesta!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 




 

 








22 comments:

  1. The Crayon Quilt is adorable!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that crayon quilt!! and I am like you I love new boxes of crayons ( and colored pens and pencils....) LOVE the way you set it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! School supplies are almost as much fun as fabric!

      Delete
  3. Your crayon quilt is just adorable, Sylvia! The Eric Carle rainbow print is perfect for making it longer. What size is your top right now? Those cupcakes look yummy! Can there really be too many sprinkles (especially if you're a little guy?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Oh, I should have said, the top is 49 in. (finished) as of now. My hubby and youngest daughter are kind of grumpy about sprinkles, but I never met a little kid that didn't think more was better!

      Delete
  4. Love how your crayons quilt is, Sylvia! And those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! The cupcakes aren't fancy, but we like them.

      Delete
  5. Love the crayon quilt, such a lot of gorgeous colour! If it was mine I would probably add a plain border to the sides, and continue it on the top and bottom too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input, Jenny! I like the idea of another border, it just doesn't look quite finished.

      Delete
  6. In the end, the quilt will be just so loved no matter how you sort out the sizing. It is a colourful beauty! I love that photo of the two of them reading; what a wonderful influence in a child's life you two are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn, you are too kind. We are so lucky to be with the kids every day.

      Delete
  7. I spend too much time looking at all the wonderful fabric in this quilt. Awesome! Love the penguins in the dark crayon and I believe I can see a train. My youngest (who is now 24) had a fascination with trains and he still does. Some boys may grow out of their britches but they never grow old. I have crayons (like wax crayons) that once iron they stay permanently on fabric. If you ask the boys to draw on fabric with those crayons, you could get some fantastic inspirational blocks for the top and bottom. Just saying. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great idea! And I'm sure the boys would love helping. You're right, there is a train in the black crayon, you have sharp eyes!

      Delete
  8. I love those pictures of your little guy. I really like that crayon quilt. I am amazed at the variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CathieJ! We are so lucky now, there are so many great prints available.

      Delete
  9. I just love the crayon quilt! I agree how does the year pass so quickly, it needs to slow down a bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! I thought when I got older time would slow down, but it never does.

      Delete
  10. Your crayon quilt looks great. Maybe the binding to pull it together. Can you find the color of a Crayola box and use that color for binding? I'm guessing this is going to small person so a square quilt will be fine. Or you could add an open lid on the top -- mimicking an open box of crayons. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crayon quilt is such a fab RSC quilt!!! Is that the same quilt in the two photos? Because one looks long the up and down way and the other looks long the across way!?! A binding would definitely tie it all together. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you included the black novelty prints in your crayon box. Some of the most fun fabrics I have are blacks with bright prints. And by the way, just so you know, there is no such thing as too many sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!