Friday, October 14, 2022

Switch Plate Quilt and Rainbow Blocks

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I have a finish for Finished or Not Friday!  It's just a little one, a baby quilt to donate, that measures approximately 36 in. x 42 in.

It's made from 72 Switch Plate blocks, set 6 across and 12 down.  I am so inspired by all the quilters who blog and share what they're making.  When Cynthia from the Oh Scrap blog started making these little blocks, I could not resist dragging out my scraps and sewing some, too.  (Click HERE for her first post on it, back in April.)  From there, it just got out of hand.  (Are you making some, too?)

I love rectangular quilt blocks.  The pieces can be cut from two sizes of the strips in my "parts department".  In this case, they're cut from either 1.5 in. or 3.5 in. strips.

Mine are slightly different from Cynthia's.  I used a light fabric for the centers.  When I started it, I was just trying to use up the light 1.5 in. strips.

 (This photo is after washing, when the quilt got That Crinkly Look.)

My first grade Buddy and I arranged the blocks on the floor back in July.  That's when I got the weird idea to think of the design as card catalog drawers, instead of switch plates.  

Back in the 1970s when I was first working in libraries, the computer age was barely beginning.  The card catalog was the only way to find books, and we spent enormous amounts of time creating, updating, and filing cards.  I am VERY thankful those days are over, and we have much better access to materials in modern times.  Now, as a retired school librarian, I can let myself feel a little nostalgia for the old days.

If the blocks are pretending to be catalog drawers, of course they had to be set horizontally. The light strip is like a label for the drawer, telling what's inside.

We grouped the blocks by label, and then I arranged them alphabetically.  (No surprise, I'm a big believer in alphabetical order.)  We have alphabets, bears, bugs, butterflies, dots (4 different kinds), donuts, feathers, paw prints, roses, and squiggles.

It's a pretty silly idea, really, but it was fun.  I used up a lot of small scraps, and the quilt will be colorful and cozy for its new owner.

 The border is the last of my dark blue Dr. Seuss fabric. 

I had this cute print in my stash to use for the back.

In other news, I've been trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  You might think I would have had time to make a plan, being as we all worked on these ALL YEAR LONG, but no, as usual I waited til the last color (green) was named.

I finally decided I need 3 more of each color of the Split Nine Patch blocks.  When you factor in 8 colors, that's 24 more blocks to make.  I sewed the extra green ones first, of course!

I also made red ones, 

and orange ones.  I tried to use at least a few fabrics that were different from the first group of blocks.  It was easier because I have had a great year of buying cute second hand fabric (more on that another time).

Meanwhile, these stacks of blocks keep piling up as I use them for leaders and enders.  (I put the green blocks on top in honor of the RSC color of the month.)  I'm not sure it's possible to ever catch up with my UFOs.  Shoot, I'm not even sure I want to!  I'm planning on quilting for a long time yet.

But it's a good idea to take snack breaks! My little guys are very fond of an after-school snack together.  

Can you tell they helped me decorate for fall?  Our Buddy is very excited about reptiles right now.  Lizards and snakes are everywhere.  Thank goodness they are just plastic.  Aren't they???

In spite of the crazy weather, including a tornado warning on Wednesday, we had a good week.  I hope you've had a good week, too.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at SoScrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 











27 comments:

  1. Your switchplate/card catalog quilt is fantastic! I love your inspiration for it. I remember spending plenty of time searching through the card catalogs at the library back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I know it's a relic of a bygone era, but I have good memories of searching through the cards for just the right book. Libraries were like the gateway to everything.

      Delete
    2. I totally remember the catalog cards in elementary and junior/senior high school. I always thought the cabinets were so cool with all the little drawers. I’d love to have one of those now to label and store all my sewing notions.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of the switch plates being card catalogue drawers ;))
    Your quilt came out so beautifully with the lighter centers--it glows.
    nice work hugs, Julierose P.S. I am tempted to start one now--;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! Be careful, these blocks are addictive!

      Delete
  3. I love your switch plate or rather library catalog quilt. It’s so sweet and cheerful. Some baby will love it. Ha! I’ve decided I need to add 12 more blocks to my RSC 2022 quilt. So I get it. What cute little helpers you have!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all the scrappy happiness that is happening in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Around here it's all scraps all the time.

      Delete
  5. Recently I bought a bag of quilting fabrics, they were donated to a charity shop in town. Have been wondering how I could honour the quilter they belong to, your library cards is perfect. It brought back memories of when we spent hours in the library and looking for specific books, thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have good memories of the library. Good luck with your quilt!

      Delete
  6. Your switch plate quilt is fun as can be, Sylvia! I agree they remind you of a card catalog. When they got rid of the physical card catalog in my elementary school's library, I was given a section of it for my classroom. It was perfect for storing thing things like extra pens and pencils! I wish I still had it, but I passed it on to a younger teacher when I retired. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Split 9 Patches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Some of those old card catalogs we're beautiful pieces of furniture. We kept cassette tapes in one at my last school.

      Delete
  7. I thought of card catalog with that quilt! I was just telling my kids this week about them and how we had to look everything up then find things by the code on the card. Those split 9 patches are sure fun and lots of options. I saw that lizard right off, I wish the ones that scatter every time I go out the door were plastic! They still startle me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Code! That's the perfect name for it! Modern kids can easily understand that. No live lizards at our house, but lots of frogs and toads. As long as there are no snakes, I am okay.

      Delete
  8. I love looking at all your wonderful stitching, I Spy some little bricks there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I use a lot of the same fabrics in my kid quilts. I'm always sorry to use up a favorite, but then a new one comes along.

      Delete
  9. great quilts - so glad they are alphabetical:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! My kids make fun of me. My spices are alphabetized too. But that makes it easy to find what I need! My story and I'm sticking to it!

      Delete
  10. Switch Plate or card catalog Quilt is a great scrapbuster, and the quilt turned out so happy and colorful. All your blocks for the RSC are so cute! Your little boys are the must.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Switch Plate quilt is so, so cute! Love that size block. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. It sure takes a lot of them to make a quilt!

      Delete
  12. The Switchplate is so cute!! and yes - all you talented Quilters lead me astray!!! haha!! I love it tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! There are so many wonderful ideas in the quilt world, and I can't seem to stop myself from starting new projects! Should I be worried?

      Delete
  13. Your switch plate finish is awesome. I sure could relate to the card catalog story!!!--TerryK@On Going Projects

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!