Friday, October 28, 2022

Sunflowers, Rainbow Blocks, and a Tale of Two Quilt Tops

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I'm back from a quilt history retreat, and getting settled into fall quilting.

Since the very beginning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the sunflower has been the Ukrainian symbol of resistance and democracy.  Blocks and quilts made in the blue and yellow of the Ukrainian flag are being sent overseas by hundreds of American quilters.  We're showing our support, and providing some measure of physical comfort to refugees and to Ukrainians still living in harm's way.  (By the way, the section above was photographed before the quilting was finished.)

Recently, our quilt group met at the library to put donated blocks together.  I couldn't stay to help (due to a very cute 2 year old at home), but the ladies fixed me up with blocks, sashing and cornerstones, border, and backing, which I brought home to work on.
 

I couldn't get to it right away, and then I had an issue with the machine while quilting it, leading to extensive ripping and possibly extensive grumbling, but it's all done now, and will soon be on its way.  Along with my hopes for an end to this terrible war.

In more mundane sewing, I've got the extra Split Nine Patch blocks done.  Next I'll be trying out my idea for setting them.  I think I'm going to end up with a twin sized quilt if my math is right.  (Ha!  Any odds on how far off I'll be?)

Thank goodness I've got this guy to help me! 

Hey!  Where did he go?  Is there somebody hiding under that old quilt top?  (He ran away giggling, so now I can tell you about this month's antique quilts.)

On the last Saturday of each month in 2022, I'm showcasing some of my antique quilts.  This week it's A Tale of Two Quilt Tops.  Judging from the fabrics, both of them were made in the 1930s era.

First up is this orange and green basket quilt.  I bought it at a flea market several years ago.
 

The blocks are made of an orange solid base, orange basket "feet", two solid green background pieces, and scrap triangles.  The blocks are set on point with solid green setting squares and triangles.  The scalloped border alternates orange and green solid pieces.  As you can probably tell from the photo, the border does not fit very well.

Although most of the fabric in the print triangles dates from the 1930s, there are some pieces from an earlier time, such as this maroon floral, which was popular in the 1880s.  There are also some cadet blues (a light blue with white figures) and some indigo prints mixed in.  The quilter may have been using a few leftover pieces from a relative's scrap bag, or from her own if she was quilting for a long time.

The blocks were hand pieced, and set together by machine, which is very common.  The fraying on the tiny seams tells me the top itself was washed in the washing machine, which is not a great idea, since it can ravel out the seam allowances.

Now for the second quilt top, a Bow Tie.  It's from the same time period, but in a simpler design.  I think it came from an antique store. (?)

Most bow tie blocks have the center square matching the print pieces.  In this top, the centers are the same as the solid color pieces, so they look like solid color bow ties on a print background.

There are a few novelty prints in this top!  Can you see the toys in the pink print?

This is my favorite block.

 Check out the print--it's the Scarecrow and the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz!  I think the fabric was probably inspired by the books, not by the movie.

These blocks were also pieced by hand, but set together by machine.  Thankfully, this one has not been machine washed.

 I bought both of these tops very cheaply, to study the fabrics as I was learning about antique quilts.  I have enjoyed having them.

People often ask me if I plan to quilt any of my vintage tops.  Being so far behind on quilts I've made myself, it doesn't usually occur to me.  But if I was going to quilt them, only the Bow Tie would be suitable.  It's in good shape, has adequate seam allowances, and isn't anything rare or of historical interest.  I would take off the bottom row (since these blocks are made of 1960s fabrics), and add a border before doing some simple quilting.


The poor basket quilt would never be worth the effort to quilt.  Honestly, the blocks are badly pieced with tiny seam allowances that have also frayed.  No two blocks appear to be exactly the same size, and all that extra green fabric would not quilt well.  The border ripples like the ocean and is faded in the middle.  No matter, I still love it!  And I'm thinking seriously about drafting the pattern and making my own version.

 Collecting antique quilt tops actually makes me feel better about all the quilt tops I've made that are yet to be finished.  If despite my best efforts, I don't finish all of them, maybe there will be somebody someday who would like them anyway.  Even if they aren't perfect!

Have a good week, and Happy Halloween on Monday!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finshed or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 







 

 












16 comments:

  1. The solid bowties are very interesting. I hope you followed the giggling so you did not lose your little guy! What a great grandma you are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I caught that kid and hugged him right up! Then his Mama came and took him home. I am a very lucky grandma to get to see him so often.

      Delete
  2. I love the quilt for Ukraine, Sylvia! The stars are a great way to feature the sunflower fabric. It's always so interesting to see and read about your antique quilts. I like the solid bowties on their print backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I need to look around here for some sunflower fabric for another quilt. The bow tie quilt top is fun to look at, with all the solids and scraps.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your antique quilts and your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Jenny! It's nice to pull them out of their storage boxes once in a while.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to put together that quilt for Ukraine, Sylvia! I'm a big fan of sunflower quilts. This one turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I might make another, especially if I can find some sunflower fabric. Should be around here somewhere.

      Delete
  5. Love reading and learning with your antique quilts, Sylvia. You and your friends made a gorgeous sunflower quilt, for a great cause. I can't imagine the suffering caused by this insane war. Your split Nine Patch are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a small thing to do, I hope it can be of a little comfort to someone. You're right, this war is so terrible.

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. It had everything I love from new quilts to vintage ones and that sweet little fellow playing hide and seek. Thanks for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jocelyn, you are very kind. I'm a big fan of your blog, by the way.

      Delete
  7. The quilt for Ukraine is beautiful. You did a great job finishing it up. I also love your split 9 patch blocks and the antique quilt tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! The ladies who made the blocks did most of the work. I get a little long-winded when it comes to antique quilts, can you tell I love them lol?

      Delete
  8. What a special quilt for the Ukraine. I enjoyed your stories about your antique quilt tops. The bow-tie one is cool looking with solid bow-ties!--TerryK@OngoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore vintage quilt tops, and have begun hand quilting mine again. I haven't had the courage to try quilting on my treadles or hand crank machines. Thank you for sharing these lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!