Friday, April 21, 2023

I Spy Purple Blocks

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's purple month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I'm loving it!  Lots of my purple scraps are finding homes in blocks that will become donation quilts around the end of the year.  Above are 4 of my 16 patch blocks, each with 8 different lights and 8 different purples.

Next are my Uneven Nine Patch blocks.  Half of them have dark centers and half have light centers.  Some of the purples are more reddish and some tend toward blue.  I'm making them from 5 in. squares (click HERE for directions).

So far, this monster is my all time favorite purple novelty print.  The word it's saying is Rawrr!  Of course I had to put some of it in each set of RSC blocks.  I only had a fat quarter, so sadly it is almost used up.

I was planning on showing these happy blocks when I was interrupted by a happy cat who wanted some cuddles.  Snicklefritz is only seven months old, and still seems like a baby kitten even though he looks like a big cat.

He's gone to chase a sunbeam, so now you can see the blocks.  There's that monster, up in the top left.

This print, with science words, is fun, too.  My husband is a retired chemist, so I made sure to have the word chemistry visible.

That's all my RSC blocks done for April.  I'm only managing to be ahead of schedule this month because I chose easy blocks, but it feels good to get them done anyway.

This I Spy top got quilted and bound last weekend, and is ready for donation.

In my head I'm calling this one Fifty Novelty Prints.  

 


There are 48 squares, all different, plus the banana print border, and...

Scottie dogs on the back!  The fabric for both the back and the binding came from the Winter Quilt Show back in February.

I got all of the fabric in this photo in an unusual way.  The vendors had pieces of fabric of varying sizes laid out on tables.  If you wanted any of it, you bought a plastic zip lock bag from them, and stuffed it full of whatever you chose.  There were two sizes of bags (one gallon and two gallon, I think).  I got all the fabric above into a gallon bag, which cost $10.  What a deal, right?  

It's about time for me to get off the computer and get some rest.  My two youngest grandsons are staying with us this weekend while their parents are out of town, and I'm already wiped out.

For our after school snack today we made "dirt cups", with chocolate pudding, crushed oreos, and gummy worms.  Yummy!

Our first grade Buddy lost his first tooth Thursday, and asked me to take his picture with his new smile.

I hope you have something great to smile about this week.  Happy Quilting!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap  

 








 





 



15 comments:

  1. I think all your purple block are awesome! And Snicklefritz makes me grin every time I see him and read his name! It was a favorite name my Dad used when he referred to each of us in turn! Memories! And your photo of your toothless grinning first grader, makes me remember I need to get a photo of our 6 yo’s new grin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! Kids are so cute when they lose their first tooth. That toothless grin is priceless!

      Delete
  2. Love the purple blocks too, and the eye spy quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful purple block progress,the I spy quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helenchaffin! It's fun to have a whole month with each color. Especially when it's purple!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Diann! We're having lots of fun, but I had almost forgotten what it was like having little kids 24-7! Much respect to their parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a big fan of easy. I made Dirt Cups for my nephew and niece once. I asked them to first lick off the frosting of the cookies before crushing them :-D Too much fun was had and my sister was clueless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVE this! I was wondering what to do about the filling, it just sort gushed out and mixed with the cookie crumbs. The kids would have gladly helped!

      Delete
  6. Love that little monster !, oh and the one on the fabric is cute too!
    You are really making lots of progress on purple! We have not been
    brave enough yet for the big sleep over and they are a bit young but soon( 2 and 4) . Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb! I love all my little monsters! It was a wild few days with the kids, I'd almost forgotten what 24-7 childcare was like!

      Delete
  7. That monster print is precious! Although, the science print is a close second! Well done on finishing all your RSC blocks for the month! I hear you about the grandkids. . . I generally sleep well the first after they are back with their parents!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terry! I collapsed when they went home, but I missed them.

      Delete
  8. Fun PURPLE scraps, SEW many blocks, AND a darling quilt finish, too!! Looks like you had a really good week, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Most of my weeks are good ones. I hope yours are too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!