Saturday, April 29, 2023

Purple Butterflies and Flannel Scraps

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's still purple month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (until Tuesday!) and I'm working on this UFO.
 

There are 20 of these butterfly blocks, made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  The free pattern comes from The Canuck Quilter (click HERE) although I changed it slightly.

I started this project after my niece died, as a comfort quilt for her mother.  My niece passed away from a massive aneurism in August 2021, just a couple months short of her fortieth birthday.  She loved butterflies and her favorite color was purple (mine too!).  It took me a long time to decide on a pattern, but by January 2022 I had fabric and pattern in hand and started sewing.

The pattern is great, and the sewing is easy, but there are a lot of pieces.  This is what was needed for each block.

Luckily, I had these alphabet pins!  The pattern gives each piece a letter, so I could pin them with the appropriate letter and keep it straight.  Some of the pieces are close in size.

I am very grateful to all the bloggers who share patterns and tutorials with us, free or not!  I could not have figured this out by myself.

The plan was to finish this quilt by August of 2022 to give to my sister.  Sadly, she died of a heart attack last May.  At that time I had all the blocks done.  I just set them aside for awhile.

The original purpose for making the quilt was to comfort my sister.  Now I'm making it as a  remembrance of both my niece and my sister.

Next will be an inner border of the same size and fabric as the sashing, then a pieced border of half square triangles.  Many of them were already made from the cut off pieces as I was making the blocks.  The others are in the box above, more Kaffe fabric plus light prints, right sides together, ready to sew.

 You'd think that would be enough to keep me busy, wouldn't you?  Especially with our two youngest grand kids staying with us for 5 nights while their folks were out of town!  I knew I wouldn't be able to get any sewing done, so I started sorting a giant garbage-bag-sized bag of flannel scraps.  I didn't take a before photo (oops!) but this is the after photo.  The diaper box holds what's left to trim down plus a couple of old projects.  The rest are strips and squares.

As I was pressing and cutting, I put together pieces for six quilt kits.  I had to dip into the flannel yardage for borders etc.

All of these kits use mainly 3.5 in. pieces.  I made two bricks kits, three Stepper kits, and one four patch kit with alternate blocks.  One more four patch kit is partially cut, but just needs alternate blocks and borders.  Next year when the Community Baby Shower rolls around in January, I'll be ready.

The post it notes will help me remember what I was doing!  It's amazing how many times I've come across a UFO and had to puzzle over what my plan had been for it.  (Anybody else have this problem?)

The plan here must have been Lego skyscrapers!  My little guys made a very colorful town.

Snicklefritz made sure the flannel was cozy for sleeping.  He's always willing to test fabrics and quilts for softness.  What a guy!

I hope you have a lovely week, with time to do the things you enjoy.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 


 







18 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about the loss of your sister and niece, Sylvia. I hope it's a comfort to you to make a quilt in their memories. The butterfly blocks are beautiful! Those quilt kits you have assembled are amazing! I bet it will be nice to just sit down and sew one up whenever you have time. Legos are the best fun - I've been looking through old pictures and found many Lego creations that were documented years ago at our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diann. It has all been such a shock. My grandsons were so excited about their Lego creation. It almost looks like a quilt pattern to me!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flimsy, Sylvia, hope all those beautiful purple butterflies give you some comfort. Those ABC pins are super cool. Great idea to leaving directions inside each kit bag. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! I should get out all my UFOs and put notes with them so I don't forget what I was doing!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sad to read of the passing of both your neice and sister, how tragic. I'm pleased that you now feel that you can work on this quilt again after the losses you have suffered, and finish it in both their memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. They were both very dear people. I am remembering good times with them as I sew.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck on making some progress on your PURPLE Butterfly UFO, Sylvia. Hoping it brings you peace to work on it now. You made good use of your "boy time", as having kits available to sew is smart thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I really like having these kits ready. Kind of like having meals in the freezer!

      Delete
  5. My deepest condolences, my dear Sylvia. It broke my heart to read about those tragic events in your life. I hope the quilt brings you some comfort. It is so beautiful and will be even more once quilted.
    I am guilty of making kits with no instruction and forgetting what quilt they were for. I've learned with age, haha. Take care. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chantal. I'm concentrating on good memories.

      Delete
  6. Your purple butterflies honor two special people. It is good for the heart to remember them and a quilt is a great way to do it! The post it note is genius and I too thought the boys had created a modern quilt pattern with their skyscraper town!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry. Good for the heart--that really sums it up!

      Delete
  7. How poignant that the comfort quilt for your sister is now a comfort quilt for you. I hope that making it is truly restorative for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine Marie! I'm putting love and good memories into it.

      Delete
  8. Those purple butterflies are gorgeous. I can't imagine how you are feeling after two poignant deaths. Take care of yourself and enjoy your sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! Good memories and even funny stories are very helpful and keep me going.

      Delete
  9. Oh goodness - what a lovely tribute quilt. I am so sorry for both of your losses - that is just rough. But I love that you are channeling it to such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!