Saturday, April 8, 2023

Pink and Purple

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Easter is tomorrow, and this little bunny is wishing a happy one to all who celebrate.

I'm not sure how bunnies got associated with Easter (I've read a couple of theories--something to do with spring?) but they are definitely part of the holiday, especially for kids.

Spring is here, even in Wisconsin!  The grass is getting greener, and the daylight lasts a little longer.  Still cold, though.  I had to wear my coat when taking this photo, and the wind just wouldn't quilt.

This is the last of the pink quilts I started during February, which was pink month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The blocks are Uneven Nine Patches aka Puss in the Corner, and were made from four 5 in. squares each.  (Click HERE for those directions.)

Four fabrics in the quilt are bunny prints!  So it was appropriate to finish it in time for Easter.

These bunnies are hopping all around.  This was an Easter print years ago from That Chain Fabric Store.

Here's the fabric the little bunny at the top of this post came from.  Cheeky, but a Nice Bun.

And then there's this Hoffman print, that one of my quilt group friends gave me literally yards of.

More on the back!  This little quilt measures about 40 in. x 48 in., and will be donated to a charity for kids (not sure which one yet).

So that's all the pink for at least a little while.  What about purple?

So far I haven't sewn much, but I got out this pile of Big Scraps to cut.

More bunnies, this time in purple.  And other novelty prints to make my little houses.  (Click HERE for my first post on this project.)

Isn't it amazing how many shades of purple there are?  I just love that Laurel Burch cat print.  I'm including it in the purples but in the wrong light it looks dark blue.  It won't matter in the quilt, of course.

Our cold and rainy weather lately made it a good time for some new puzzles.  Our little guy loves working them.  By the way he didn't put that whole puzzle together.  Grandpa had already finished it, and Little Guy takes apart one section and puts it back together again.  He has his own puzzles, but it's more fun to work with Grandpa.

We went antiquing recently, and I got a "new" cookbook.  It's that nice clean one on the right.  Not that new really, it was published in 1986!  But like new inside--no torn pages, and the sections still have their tabs.  My old cookbook has been with me since before I was married.  I got it with S & H green stamps in 1974 or 1975, while I was still in college.  I'm keeping the old one while I make sure my favorite recipes made it to the new edition.  If not, I'm writing them down.  I do use the internet to find recipes, but I'm old school--I prefer a book.  How about you?

I'm wishing a very happy Easter holiday to all those who celebrate, and happy quilting to everyone!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy














18 comments:

  1. the bunny quilts are adorable! It's a rainey day here today as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I know we need the rain sometimes, but sunshine always makes me happier.

      Delete
  2. Your pink bunny quilt is cute as can be, Sylvia! I love those different bunny prints you've used in it. Pretty purples for April, too! I have that same Better Homes & Gardens cookbook as you, and it's also my second one. I think the original was a wedding shower gift from my mom back in 1975, and it fell apart awhile ago, so I definitely had to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! My family has always joked that if we ran out of food we could eat Mom's cookbook, we spilled so much on it while learning to cook!

      Delete
  3. Oh, those sweet bunnies, Sylvia!! Your PURPLE houses are sure to be cute, too. I'm definitely a book person, but I've been forced onto the internet for recent recipe searches, as my copy of your "new" book has been lost in a sea of boxes since our move... a year and a half ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm glad there are so many good recipes online when I need them.

      Delete
  4. That Hoffman bunny print, is too, too adorable. Some youngster is going to delighted to receive this prize. My go to cookbook for years was The Joy of Cooking. My mother had it. I used hers growing up. Then bought my own. However, my dietary preferences have changed over the years. The old standby hasn't kept up with the times. So, the internet is my best friend. But when I want to know the "how" of cooking something, I occasionally pull out my old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned! I bought a used copy of the Joy of Cooking recently, but haven't dipped into it much yet. The old recipes do seem to have a lot of butter and lard etc., don't they?

      Delete
  5. Oh Sylvia, the pink bunny quilt is adorable. Happy Easter !

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many bunnies! You are raising my hare! (haha) It's a lovely pink quilt. Looks like your purple stash have some lovely prints too.
    I have my foster mom's cookbook from when she got married in the 40s'. Oh! My! Sizzling bacon! there's a lot of lard in those recipes. Wouldn't eat like that anymore. The writing is funny though. It is written like I was a 5 years old or something, lol. Anywho! The techniques are still good to follow. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Chantal! My mom's old cookbook had some odd writing,too. My sisters and I used to make fun of it. Times have really changed, even for food.

      Delete
  7. Lovely bunnies and so appropriate for them to be out today! I too like a book but, I have been known to print a recipe from Pinterest. Sometimes, I save the recipe electronically. What a great find for the "new" cookbook!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! One of the best things about using the internet for recipes is how easy it is to search, and to compare different ways to make the same thing. I use the books mostly for standard stuff like baking and canning.

      Delete
  8. Cute happy bunny quilt!! the pink is perfect for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I haven't been much for buying pink fabrics, but I never could resist a bunny print!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!