Saturday, September 16, 2023

Oh, Happy Day!

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Here are some things I'm happy about this week.

 

Snicklefritz is learning to pose!  He's laying on a quilt top I just finished.  (Thanks, Snicky!  He always makes me happy.)

I won these blocks at my local quilt group in October last year.  My little guy, who was only 2 then, was helping me arrange them and looking at all the pretty colors.

Here's the "aerial" view of the finished top.  I sewed the blocks together right away, and then procrastinated on the pieced border.  That was silly of me, this was an easy border, but sometimes things get sent to the bottom of the pile for silly reasons.

Bright prints were specified in the guild directions for the blocks, with either light or dark strips.  I made most of the ones with the darker strips, and guild members made most of the light ones.    This project was a good use of my non-novelty bright squares.  The top will be donated when finished, and it can go a teenager or an adult.  The lovely long-arm ladies at the guild will quilt it, and they can return it to me for binding.

So that's one out of the UFO pile!  

Next, Happy Blocks! 

My little Buddy wants to make another quilt, this time to go on his own bed.  I suggested Happy Blocks, and he loved the idea.  He picked out 5 in. (cut) squares for the center, and I chose coordinating (2 in. cut) solid colored frames.  We've got 56 blocks done, which should work for the size he wants, but we haven't had time to lay them out in rows yet.

This is the fabric he likes best.  I knew he would, with his current obsession with fishing, which is why I bought a fat quarter of it.  Now I might have to look for more.  We do need a border.  And a backing!

Lately, I've not had a lot of computer time, even for my favorite quilt blogs.  I finally noticed the current Compassion Quilts block drive is for none other than Happy Blocks!  The measurements are NOT the same as the ones I've been making lately, but they're very easy of course, and I have all the needed parts in my Parts Department (aka closet).  I even found a few left over blocks from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2 years ago that were made with these measurements and tossed them in.  The centers are 4.5 in. cut and the frames are 2.5 in. cut.

So these are the new blocks going to Cynthia (click HERE for directions and information). 

And these... 

And a few more

I got a little carried away.  They are fun to make, it's for a good cause, and I get to use my novelty prints!

Speaking of novelty prints, check out this amazing hexie quilt I saw at a the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show last Saturday.

Now for the closeup: 

All the prints are cow prints!  Isn't this amazing?  Who knew there were this many cow prints in the whole world?  It's giving me ideas for my own version.  (But not with just cows.) 

 There was lots of other inspiration at the show.  As usual, it was overwhelming.  But in a good way!

Here's what I bought at the show:  clearance fabric!  My mom taught me early to always shop the clearance rack first for clothes etc., and it's a good idea for just about anything.  All of this fabric was on sale, some well below the now-usual $12 or $13 per yard.  It will be put to good use!
 

What else is making me happy?  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge, of course!  It's aqua month, and I've finished the Uneven Nine Patch blocks.  Each month I have made six with dark centers and six with light.

Now I can have all the fun of putting the blocks into donation quilts.

I only had a scrap of this print, but I really like these dolphins.

I really like this guy, too!  Little Guy made a necklace from cereal at preschool this week.  He wanted to show it to his parents, but he also really wanted to eat it!  So I took a picture of him with it to show them, and then he could have it for a snack.

Have a good week!  I hope you get to do things that make you happy.  Like quilting!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap





 





 



14 comments:

  1. So nice reading about your happy things. I love the grey/coloured blocks you won, the blocks look so good together. And you cant beg Happy Blocks to lift your spirits, can you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! Thanks, Jenny! Happy blocks have the perfect name!

      Delete
  2. How nice to get the guild blocks put together into such a pretty quilt. Glad you finally pushed on to get it done. It'll be a pleasure to get that binding sewn down, I'm sure. Lots of sweet blocks going on too. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at the Wis. quilt show on Thursday, it got really crowded in the afternoon. Hmmm I didn't find any clearance fabric, was it all in one booth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicki! I was there on Saturday. I gathered up the fabrics at all different booths. The best buys were large pieces already cut. I got 3 yards of John Deere print for $13. The half yards I got were $4 each.

      Delete
  4. I too enjoyed reading about your happy things. The Happy blocks you are making with Little Buddy's supervision made me smile. He is going to love his quilt!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Terry! For his quilt, the more fish blocks the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pattern for your guild winnings! Filing it away for future reference. And what a great solution to the Little Guy's dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! Yeah, Little Guy can show off his necklace and eat it too!

      Delete
  7. I love a cat on a quilt. Great job, Snicklefritz! Love what you did with the guild blocks. I put my tops in the closet too until it learns how to talk and tell me what kind of border it wants. Lol. I love the border you did on this one. It's perfect for it. Looking forward to little Buddy's quilt. Fun blocks. The hexy quilt is amazing! That's an Holy Cow quilt! I cut novelty fabric in hexy shape for a future I Spy quilt but not just about cows. I should look at it; maybe I have enough to sew it now. What's the point in playing with cereal if we can't eat it? Go, Little Guy, enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! Holy Cow is right! I look forward to seeing your hexy quilt. I'm starting to think seriously about mine, I think I'll use the Accuquilt hexy die to cut the pieces.

      Delete
  8. Super Happy Blocks!!! and what a fun finish at the top!! Snicky... too cute - *The Poser* !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It only took me a year lol. I'm trying to make decisions and finish up some stuff that's been hanging fire for a long time.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!