Friday, September 8, 2023

Rainy Day at the Pond, and Happy Blocks

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for dropping by!

I have a finish this week!  It's a baby-sized quilt, made mostly from scraps I bought second-hand.  I'm calling it "Rainy Day at the Pond".  Please excuse the gloomy outdoor photos, it's been overcast and/or raining for a couple of days now.

Here's the quilt laid out flat, a little crinkly after washing.  The blocks are 6 in. nine patches, in either green or a bluish aqua.

Here's one of the green ones, with very happy fish.  The alternate blocks are striped fabric in aqua, green, white, and a little black.  The light squares in the nine patches have a design that looks like raindrops to me, hence the name.

Check out these frogs swimming in inner tubes.  One of them even has sunglasses.

This was not a quilt I planned far in advance.  In fact, most of these fabrics met on the cutting table.  In June, I went to a local garage sale at a quilter's home, and bought lots of the cute prints, including the frogs and fish above. 

 The very next day was the big sale at the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts, where I found this striped fabric in several smaller strips.  It had both green and aqua in it, and I had green and aqua scraps, so this happened.  I think now there really isn't enough contrast for the green nine patches, but live and learn.

The inner border, outer border, and binding were all bought at flea markets or rummage sales.

Here's the back, a Frog Prince print!  I found this on clearance at the local quilt shop and bought enough for two quilts.  Frogs are fun!

So that's a little donation quilt, ready to go.  Plus there's aqua in it for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month!

Isn't aqua a pretty color?  Even the aqua trash looks good.  By the way, I snagged out that larger piece and cut a 2 in. square out of it.  Must have fallen in by mistake!

Time to make the aqua Happy Blocks, to go with all the other colors!  Some were more green, some more blue, which is the way it goes for aqua.

Flip flops for the last days of summer (maybe?).  This week we had days in the 90s (F) and days in the 60s.

Cats.  Always tasteful for any occasion.  (Source:  My cat Snicklefritz.)

Minions remind me of my little minions, the grandsons known as Buddy and Little Guy.

Buddy is very into fishing, so I included this square at his request.  There are canoes and paddles and even the word "Fishing".

Here's an aqua-filled photo from our recent visit to the Milwaukee Public Museum.  Buddy was very excited to see these lake dwelling fish on display, since he knows them well from catching or not catching them with his dad.

Little Guy enjoyed the museum, too, but mostly from the comfort of his stroller.

Buddy loves hamming it up for the camera (can you tell?).

I'm glad we took that little excursion.  Now that school is back in session, I'm already missing time with the kids.  Buddy is only here after school or on days off.  Little Guy is still here more, but is going to preschool part time.

All the blocks for Buddy's new quilt are done, but we haven't done a layout yet.  Maybe next week?  In the meantime I'm going to work on getting used to the new schedule, and maybe get some more quilting done.

Have a happy quilty week!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy


 


 










16 comments:

  1. A lovley finish Sylvia - going to make someone very happy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute quilt, Sylvia! I like how the striped squares make it look like you did some tricky piecing. And the raindrop fabric is adorable! Your visit to the museum looks like so much fun. You're making lots of memories with those buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I am so lucky to live near my grand kids.

      Delete
  3. I do like your statement, "cats, always tasteful for any occasion". Spoken like a true cat lover. The little pond quilt is very cute, as are your grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Guess what I bought today--shoes made from a cat print! I had a pair before but they wore out.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the cute finish. I love that the green 9-Patch blocks disappear in the colour of the quilt. It makes the eyes search for them. I love when my fabric gets together like that. Happy accidents is what I call them. I have a little bit of that cat fabric too. You always have such fun fabric. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute finish! You have the best prints in your stash! --TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome quilt finish, Sylvia, and a great bunch of AQUA blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gloomy? What gloomy? Such happy kissy fish and cute fabrics - I only see joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Preeti! The weather may be gloomy but the fabrics are bright!

      Delete
  8. What a super cute quilt!! it will take all the gloomies away!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!