Saturday, September 23, 2023

Rainbow Triangles, and Straightening Up

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's a Blast from the Past!  I started this little quilt in January of 2021 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt for that year.  Each month I made 20 half square triangles (3 in. finished) from the color of the month.  Recently I dug them out, sewed them into 6 in. blocks, and put the quilt top together.

My inspiration was this photo of a brave nurse in New York being one of the first people vaccinated against Covid.  I was inspired by her dedication, but also distracted by the logo of the hospital/health company on the wall behind her.

This is my version, different from the original photo but kind of the same idea.  Most of the fabrics I used were subtle prints, but a few bolder ones sneaked in.  (Looking at you, green with stars!)  The quilt will be donated locally.

The border and the binding are batiks.  The blue one came from the museum sale in June, and the green one was a larger scrap from the clearance table at a quilt shop.  I haven't used batiks a lot, but I'm loving the bright colored ones.

The back is this fun print.  I got two yards of it at the quilt show a couple of weeks ago.  I quilted a 3 in. grid (across and down) plus a diagonal grid on the long side of the triangles.

Snicky is taking his job as "poser" very seriously.  I can't lay a quilt down without him jumping on it (or diving under it).

Catching up on projects is part of what I'm doing with my "extra time" now that Little Guy is in preschool 3 mornings per week.  Right now, I'm using that time to think, plan, and organize.

I forgot to take a "before" photo when I straightened up this shelf unit. If you want to know what it was like, you'll just have to imagine clutter, a thick layer of dust, piles of books and magazines, and smaller boxes of fabric stacked on top of each other.  I have lots of fabric "inventory" now, after the recent sales, so I needed bigger boxes, and lids are great at keeping the dust out.

Reorganizing the tools was important.  The basket on the left holds all the rotary cutter stuff, like extra blades.  The tins next to it hold used blades and specialty pins.  Behind them is my pinker (the thing with the handle) and a wood block originally used to print fabric (not by me. Yet?).

Some of my antique finds are on the top shelf, along with a newer Singer tin that stores needles.  The  little flowered box holds tiny spools of thread.  I just think it's cute, I'm not planning on using the thread.

I want my sewing room to be pretty as well as functional.  It makes me happy to be here.

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge makes me happy, too!  

This week's blocks are the 16 patch ones.  Now that all the blocks are done, I need to decide how to put them together.  I plan on donating the finished quilt or quilts.  Should I make one twin sized quilt or two baby sized ones?  Are there places that would want a twin sized quilt with lots of crazy novelty prints?  I'm thinking it would be most appropriate for a child.  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a new project I'm working on:  Jelly Twist, from Cluck Cluck Sew.  I bought the pattern while visiting my mom in July.  I'm using a white background, and choosing from these rectangles for each block.  Easy, fun, and colorful, it's a good pattern with all the math done for 4 different sizes.

No photos of the kids this week, sorry.  It was a crazier than usual week, but all is well.  I hope all is well in your week, too!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap












16 comments:

  1. Fabulous happy-scrappy quilt, Sylvia!!! Thanks for sharing it again, along with your AQUA blocks for the RSC and those fun kid prints for your new project. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Isn't aqua a lovely color? Well, I guess they all are!

      Delete
  2. Your organizing has paid off. The quilting on the triangle quilt is just perfect, and the colors are wonderful. I think there are lots of places that will appreciate quilts donated that have lots of novelty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of shelters or kids going into foster care, but I don't exactly know where to get started.

      Delete
  3. Great mind think alike it seems. I also did a rainbow quilt with HSTs this week. Love yours. When I saw the nurse photo, I immediately saw your inspiration point. The green with stars just adds pizzazz to the quilt so don't worry about it. Oh! Cluster! it's the same here. And dust! Ok enough of that; let's go sewing! Lol. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an adorable quilt, Sylvia! Such a fun way to use HSTs in every color. Do you mind if I borrow your idea? Good for you - cleaning up and organizing. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It's an old idea, not mine, feel free! It's kind of amazing how good it feels to get things straightened up!

      Delete
  5. What an inspiration that nurse was in the crazy scare early days of Covid, such a great idea to use the poster as a quilt idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! That nurse is a hero. I'm so glad things are better now, but of course we still have to be careful.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, I love your logo inspired rainbow quilt. I enjoyed seeing your little shelf unit all tidied up! Good job, Grandma!🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! Cleaning up has been very satisfying!

      Delete
  7. HST's are just so versatile - nice to see the picture of what inspired you and the quilt looks great! I think we quilters see patterns in all sorts of places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Pavement, grocery stores, even shopping bags! Inspiration is everywhere!

      Delete
  8. your quilt just proves that inspiration is everywhere!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Inspiration is everywhere. Or else I just have a one track mind!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!