Saturday, February 24, 2024

Little 4 Patch, Book Blocks, and Rainbow Kitties

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

These little 4 patches are now a finished baby-sized quilt, ready for donation. 

I started with a set of 15 blocks I got at our quilt guild's silent auction (like the one with those hilarious cows), plus lots of loose squares.  I added in 2 in. squares from my stash, to make blocks that finish at 3 in.  (Quilting is the only place where 2 plus 2 equals 3.)  The finished quilt has 72 pieced blocks and 71 alternate blocks of the light fabric, set 11 x 13.

The border is this bugs fabric.  Bugs in real life are gross, but these guys are cute.  They're even smiling.

The back is this hand print fabric.  For the first time ever, I used a frankenbatt in this quilt, and it turned out okay.  Maybe this will help motivate me to make more frankenbatting, to clean up that part of the basement.

I love getting other people's scraps.  There are always prints I've never seen before, like these white cats on blue, or the koala on black.

Quilt guild was this week.  The amazing Nancy, Queen of Scraps, had a new community project for us, making a bookshelf quilt for an organization that helps needy kids get books.  Count me in!  I picked up two kits with background and brown "shelf" pieces, and added strips from my stash for the books. 

For this block, I chose "classic" prints, like paisleys, florals, and stripes.


 Of course I had to make a shelf of novelty print books.  These represent books about animals, which are always favorites for kids.  I think I made these too tall.  In hindsight, I think I would mix things up a bit more.  Maybe someday I'll make my own bookshelf quilt.  

Digging through the stash to find just the right fabrics has left the sewing room an absolute disaster, so straightening up is top of the to-do list today.

Does this ever happen to you?  I've decided on yet another Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.

At the end of last year, I saw this pattern in American Patchwork and Quilting, Oct. 2023 issue.  It was made with black and orange cats for Halloween.  I made a few blocks to test the pattern and loved them, but wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.  Now I know!  I'm going to make Rainbow Kitties this year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I need to make the green ones for January, but I can catch up okay.  I hate to admit, I've had this happen even much later in the year!

Hey!  What's that lump in the bed?

It's Snicklefritz, getting cozy on a cold day.  Two days this week, the temps were in the 50s F.  Yesterday we had snow, which is still on the ground.  Weather is weird this year.

My lovely Amaryllis is blooming again, and appropriately red for the last Saturday in February.  You can see the dusting of snow on the bushes outside the window.

Even though we've got colder weather, we know we're heading in the right direction.  Spring is (eventually) coming.  In the meantime, we can stay cozy inside (like Snicklefritz!) and keep doing things we love.  Like quilting!

Have a lovely week, and thanks for visiting!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

 Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap





 


 





12 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with starting new colour challenge projects even in November, the great thing is to just jump in with the colour of the month. Then it is started and next year it will be on the start already. Love the bug fabrics and all those four patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! Great idea, to just go ahead and start and be ready for next year! I'm going to remember to do that!

      Delete
  2. Your four patch quilt is adorable, Sylvia! I love that background fabric and the bugs, too. The cat blocks are great - yes, I am often starting new blocks after some RSC inspiration as well. (Maybe I need to make cats now?!) I think we've all had a weird winter! It was 67 here in Colorado today - definitely not a seasonal temperature. I bet we'll get dumped on in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The RSC is wonderful, all that inspiration from other quilters! When it comes to the weather, I guess we all just have to hang in there and ride this rollercoaster! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous little 4 patch quilt. Very striking against the pretty neutral squares. Of course , you have started another hare running through my head. You certainly know how to choose and place your fabrics. Your cat has such an appealing face - his antics would make great children’s stories and the illustrations based on your photos would be perfect! Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I would love to read a story about Snicklefritz the cat! The closest we have come so far is reading the book Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on another quilt finish, Sylvia!! Your book blocks will be much appreciated. Those RED Kitty blocks are SEW cute!! It's easy to see how you succumbed to another RSC project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I have no self discipline when it comes to cute quilt blocks! Or chocolate.

      Delete
  5. Great job on your finished quilt...boy the size is small. As always I had to look carefully at fabrics use -- I have some of the cow fabric the whole piece is the cow jumper over the moon and there is a spoon and fork too. I like how you used a consistent light print with those blocks. Your amaryllis is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! When I get small scraps, I often wonder what the fabric they were cut from looked like. Just a fun little mystery.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful array of projects! The handprints print is perfect for the kids' quilt. I recognize the navy-with-swirl of books fabric in your first bookshelf -- I have still some! (From a book-and-library line by Connecting Threads.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann! As a retired librarian, I loved that books fabric! I have used most of it up, but there are still a few bits around. I especially like the one that had the inked date stamps, really takes me back.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!